Will Tukuafu

seabowl

Reaction score
Not sure about anybody else but I absolutely love what this guy is bringing to the run game. He is absolutely blowing up people and making nice holes for Beast to run through. I really don't understand why on crucial 3rd and 4th down short yardage plays we don't put him in there to clear room for Marshawn to get the first. Hopefully Bevell will see the light and use this Monster when we need him most. He is an intregal part of the O now and a great find by team John/Pete.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
The read option run out of the shotgun at the goal line or on 3rd and short is not effective AT ALL.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He was blasting through some holes for sure. I think beast has to get used to following him though.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Exactly! How we are not running QB under center with him and Lynch on 1st and goal from the one is beyond me. We go single back set, Wilson in shotgun and lose a yard. Then get all cute and lose another one and eventually settle for a field goal. Ugh.

Heck line Tukuafu under center and have him "sneak" it. Three plays in a row if you have too.

byau

Reaction score
I love him. However I has to laugh at one play, I think it was when lynch was in. I think Will was so focused on creating a hole for Lynch to follow that Will ran right through the line WITHOUT HITTING ANYONE!

Yeah not helpful :)

I was too amused to get frustrated, esp because I like the guy so much.

And the next few times he did make sure to find someone to hit.

:)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I saw that play and it also seemed as if Lynch hesitated and missed the hole. Had he followed decicively he might have picked up big yardage. I think that is a good sign of things to come.
On the goal line... I always think it's risky to line up in gun instead of under center. Why take the ball so far backwards when you only need to go forward a few inches? Get under center in the jumbo and send your biggest full back and running back behind Sweezy. Pile driver.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I love this guy also..He plays so tough and explosive which is exactly what we needed...Beast needs to keep up with him and he will get more yards on those up the gut plays..Will got robbed on that pretty 62 yrd catch,that was on Pete for not reviewing it which cost us 4 more points..I agree on close red zone situations we need to go into a big formation with Will in there and let him and Beast blast away or run Russ behind those two with Sweezy straight ahead..As it stands Will can block well and catch well..I'd like to see him pound the DL with FB up the middle plays and also use him on misdirection runs like we did long ago with JL Williams ..I think he can run very well with his size..I see him doing it on blocks and catches..Run the guy more..Oh and lets figure out a great nick name for him..I think he has earned that under the dire circumstances that he came here under..It's been amazing..I never thought he'd be this good at all..

olyfan63

Reaction score
Timberhawk":f9xhy5j3 said:
Exactly! How we are not running QB under center with him and Lynch on 1st and goal from the one is beyond me. We go single back set, Wilson in shotgun and lose a yard. Then get all cute and lose another one and eventually settle for a field goal. Ugh.

Heck line Tukuafu under center and have him "sneak" it. Three plays in a row if you have too.

Would love to see a goal line/short yardage shotgun set where Russ motions out and Tukuafu steps up to center with 5 seconds left on play clock and does a sneak.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Not sure what you guys are looking at, but I'm not super impressed with our production out of the I. All of our big runs we out of the pistol or some kind of single back zone look.

I like Tuku, he plays hard, but with a FB that big behind this line there should be a trail of dead bodies and 10 yard gains. We seem to be eking out 2-3 yards at best from the I.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
We need to put a tinted visor on Tuk. He definitely scans to the side of the run during pre-snap.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Under Baalke the 9ers have done a really good job of finding role players (and better -- Boone, Cooper for the Chiefs) at the back-end of the draft and with UDFAs. Oddly and sadly enough, Hawks fans are starting to see some of that through guys like Tukuafu and Dobbs. :lol:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2uaunwz9 said:
Under Baalke the 9ers have done a really good job of finding role players (and better -- Boone, Cooper for the Chiefs) at the back-end of the draft and with UDFAs. Oddly and sadly enough, Hawks fans are starting to see some of that through guys like Tukuafu and Dobbs. :lol:

Nice! Yes, we have a mini-cast of SF castoffs, between Mike Rob (last couple years), Lockette, Tukuafu, and now Demarcus Dobbs.

I think it speaks to overall strength of Niners roster and talent. A guy from your scrap heap gets into the Seattle DL rotation and is productive for us immediately. (Dobbs) A castoff FB gets in our lineup immediately. (I think he may be doing some DL snaps too, just haven't noticed.) A castoff WR (Lockette) becomes our ace ST gunner. Some of the credit goes to our coaching, to find what these guys do well, and use them for their strengths and then coach them up. Part of it is probably scheme/fit, that Seattle and SF place different value on different player attributes.

Bruce Irvin this year, his 3rd year, is becoming the poster boy for guys progressing under our coaching staff. Super-raw out of college, now useful as an every-down linebacker with cover skills, and edge rusher and can actually set the edge vs. the run. His first year, all he could do was speed rush.

For our DC, getting a guy like Dobbs for free at this point in the season was like getting a free injection of (name your favorite drug here).

Baalke/Niners FO must have done a good job of putting together a strong top-to-bottom roster. Even after losing Willis, Bowman, etc. your LBs seem to be getting it done.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2sgstvp2 said:
I love this guy also..He plays so tough and explosive which is exactly what we needed...Beast needs to keep up with him and he will get more yards on those up the gut plays..Will got robbed on that pretty 62 yrd catch,that was on Pete for not reviewing it which cost us 4 more points..I agree on close red zone situations we need to go into a big formation with Will in there and let him and Beast blast away or run Russ behind those two with Sweezy straight ahead..As it stands Will can block well and catch well..I'd like to see him pound the DL with FB up the middle plays and also use him on misdirection runs like we did long ago with JL Williams ..I think he can run very well with his size..I see him doing it on blocks and catches..Run the guy more..Oh and lets figure out a great nick name for him..I think he has earned that under the dire circumstances that he came here under..It's been amazing..I never thought he'd be this good at all..

That 63 yarder catch was by Tony Moeaki our TE, who's been phenomenal in our catching game. Will Tukuafu is great at blocking for Lynch and doing well opening holes for him.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
I think it speaks to overall strength of Niners roster and talent. A guy from your scrap heap gets into the Seattle DL rotation and is productive for us immediately. (Dobbs) A castoff FB gets in our lineup immediately. (I think he may be doing some DL snaps too, just haven't noticed.) A castoff WR (Lockette) becomes our ace ST gunner. Some of the credit goes to our coaching, to find what these guys do well, and use them for their strengths and then coach them up. Part of it is probably scheme/fit, that Seattle and SF place different value on different player attributes.

Dont forget that Lockette signed with the Seahawks as a UDF where he was on our practice squad until after Sydney Rice went to IR but right before Mike Williams was IRed due to his broken ankle or something. He spent more time as a Hawk then he did as a 49er before we got him back last year. I dont think he ever sniffed the active roster for the 49ers but I could be wrong. Not sure how much credit would really go to the 49ers for Lockettes success.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":3ubzu0l8 said:

Dont forget that Lockette signed with the Seahawks as a UDF where he was on our practice squad until after Sydney Rice went to IR but right before Mike Williams was IRed due to his broken ankle or something. He spent more time as a Hawk then he did as a 49er before we got him back last year. I dont think he ever sniffed the active roster for the 49ers but I could be wrong. Not sure how much credit would really go to the 49ers for Lockettes success.

Lockette did play in the 49ers preseason game as a gunner in 2013, but after that it was about it. He gets more chances here with the Seahawks because of his ability.

CANHawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":ew5fifd8 said:
Bigbadhawk":ew5fifd8 said:

Lockette did play in the 49ers preseason game as a gunner in 2013, but after that it was about it. He gets more chances here with the Seahawks because of his ability.

There was his man-date with Kap at the espys though. # awkward

RicardoLockettexISe9cMWoSqm