Jody Allen - Conclusion

Aircrew

Reaction score
It occurred to me this morning that I think we know what we have in Jody Allen as an owner now. To be fair to all of us, we didn't know what we didn't know when Paul passed and she took his place, most of us assumed she was absentee and Pete Carrol was his own boss. But now, with significant and strategic decisions under her belt, I think we can all safely say that she's as involved and engaged as Paul was and quite similarly operates at an altitude to the team as he did. Looking back, here's a list of the important moments that took place since 2018 that must have involved her:
  • (2021) John Schneider signs contract extension through 2027. John was in talks with Detroit to be their new GM and the word was he was no longer happy with Pete's tie-breaking vote in personnel decisions. From what was in the news, the new contract came with some restructuring of the authority between him and Pete. She would have been involved in that process in some way and it was the right call.
  • (2022) Russell Wilson trade to Denver. From what was published in the media, 'ol Russ met with her and implied that John and Pete needed to go. Jody responded by giving John Schneider the green light to move on from Russ. As we can all confidently say now, that was the right call.
  • (2024) Pete Carrol fired. Pete will be inducted into the ROH someday, will have a street named after him and may even get a statue outside the stadium, but it was time to move on. Again, the right call.
I would also add her involvement in the last two drafts and the hiring of Mike Macdonald. While I don't think she was directly involved, it was certainly under her watch that John Schneider was given the latitude to do what he's good at and the trust to make incredibly important decisions for the betterment of the franchise. That's great leadership.

I think it's safe to say the Seattle Seahawks franchise is in good hands since the late, great Paul Allen passed away in 2018. I know I feel better about that and Jody deserves alot of the credit for what we can now look back on as a solid body of work.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
Not to mention, signing a new head coach and the resultant possible total rebuild of the coaching staff doesn't sound like someone eager to sell the franchise in the next few months. You would think she would want to hang around to see the results of the latest moves.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm on board. Many of us hypothesized that Pete was signing his own paychecks there for awhile.
My sense is that the last two drafts were John Schneider drafts, or at least with a vastly reworked draft criteria. Since that 2021 authority restructuring, the Seahawks have had great drafts. Must have been after the 2021 draft because that was the crappiest draft ever. The subsequent 2022 and 2023 drafts were major upgrades to the previous few years. For sure Jody was involved in greenlighting the Russell trade.

Jody seems to have a good hot air detector, and do a good job of choosing which advisors to listen to. The QB advocating to the owner to fire the coach and put him in charge of the team's future? She and her advisors handled that one brilliantly.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
It always seemed odd to me that the assumption was that she was out of touch and didn't know what she was doing... or that she would just do Pete's bidding. I think much of that stemmed from an unhealthy disdain of Pete by a portion of the fanbase - they needed to see him as the villain, power monger, self interested.

But she threw the gauntlet down in her polite, but firm good bye / good riddance, public message to Russ, and given interviews she's given, always seemed to be a straight up, sharp business person.

If nothing else, one coukd assume her bottom line interest would be making sure the hawks were profitable and a top market team. We only ever garnered a following and share of the NFL market when we became a respectable team. So from a shear business sense - success equals better profit. No way she woul settle for less than what her brother had already built.

And that brings the 2nd point and why the idea that she would just idly standby and let anyone wreck the image of the franchise - it was her brothers baby.

But yeah. I'm glad she's getting the respect she should have always had. I'm glad she's involved. She seems to be a no BS kind of owner and is obviously determined to build a champion.

We were blessed to have Paul, Pete and John.

It's just an embarrassment of riches to now have Jody, John and Mike.

It is undeniable that what Pete talked about on his exit - doing what was necessary for the betterment of the organization - is a mantra that is alive and well here. The standard is the standard and sometimes change is necessary to survive and thrive.

The old call to arms that was central to any loyal and successful transition of power - the king is dead . Long live the king - has played out in this era of seahawks ball. And the kingdom is thriving.

In that reality, drawing lines and picking sides is a fool's game. Pay attention to what's really happening. It's a master class in leadership, culture building, and legacy setting.

OP
OP
Aircrew

Aircrew

Reaction score
But she threw the gauntlet down in her polite, but firm good bye / good riddance, public message to Russ, and given interviews she's given, always seemed to be a straight up, sharp business person.
Well said, totally agree. And to your point on her good riddance post/tweet about Russ when he left, I caught that too and it was the first sign to me that she was heavily involved in the Seahawks and personally invested.

OP
OP
Aircrew

Aircrew

Reaction score
I know I certainly owe Jody an apology. I honestly didn't think she had the stomach to fire Pete, I thought she was content to just let Pete run things until she sold the team.
You and me both, my friend. And I'll one up you and add that I was kind of a chauvanist d**k about her, too. But today, I'm beyond happy to say I was dead wrong.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I know I certainly owe Jody an apology. I honestly didn't think she had the stomach to fire Pete, I thought she was content to just let Pete run things until she sold the team.
I too thought she operated minimally behind the scenes. Now I can see she is a lot more engaged than that and clearly has good vision and will to make it happen. It makes it all the more sad to know that we will soon lose her leadership and the last ties to the man that made it all possible in the first place.

chris98251

Reaction score
I too thought she operated minimally behind the scenes. Now I can see she is a lot more engaged than that and clearly has good vision and will to make it happen. It makes it all the more sad to know that we will soon lose her leadership and the last ties to the man that made it all possible in the first place.
She is not selling anytime soon, she is making money hand over fist in increased value of both franchises yearly, better then anything in a Stock Market. When she does decide to liquidate everything to put into Pauls favored enterprises which are already funded it will be thru Vulcans Management. Last year she seen the value increase 11 percent with the Seahawks.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
It occurred to me this morning that I think we know what we have in Jody Allen as an owner now. To be fair to all of us, we didn't know what we didn't know when Paul passed and she took his place, most of us assumed she was absentee and Pete Carrol was his own boss. But now, with significant and strategic decisions under her belt, I think we can all safely say that she's as involved and engaged as Paul was and quite similarly operates at an altitude to the team as he did. Looking back, here's a list of the important moments that took place since 2018 that must have involved her:
  • (2021) John Schneider signs contract extension through 2027. John was in talks with Detroit to be their new GM and the word was he was no longer happy with Pete's tie-breaking vote in personnel decisions. From what was in the news, the new contract came with some restructuring of the authority between him and Pete. She would have been involved in that process in some way and it was the right call.
  • (2022) Russell Wilson trade to Denver. From what was published in the media, 'ol Russ met with her and implied that John and Pete needed to go. Jody responded by giving John Schneider the green light to move on from Russ. As we can all confidently say now, the right call.
  • (2024) Pete Carrol fired. Pete will be inducted into the ROH someday, will have a street named after him and may even get a statue outside the stadium, but it was time to move on. Again, the right call.
I would also add her involvement in the last two drafts and the hiring of Mike Macdonald. While I don't think she was directly involved, it was certainly under her watch that John Schneider was given the latitude to do what he's good at and the trust to make incredibly important decisions for the betterment of the franchise. That's great leadership.

I think it's safe to say the Seattle Seahawks franchise is in good hands since the late, great Paul Allen passed away in 2018. I know I feel better about that and Jody deserves alot of the credit for what we can now look back on as a solid body of work.
It is often smart to put the pieces in place and let the worker bees work.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
She is not selling anytime soon, she is making money hand over fist in increased value of both franchises yearly, better then anything in a Stock Market. When she does decide to liquidate everything to put into Pauls favored enterprises which are already funded it will be thru Vulcans Management. Last year she seen the value increase 11 percent with the Seahawks.
I also think she enjoys the job

toffee

Reaction score
Make no mistake my fellow members on dot net, Jody Allen made decisions based on what she read and learned on dot net. With that she is well connected with the heart and soul of 12s.

Last edited:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
She is not selling anytime soon, she is making money hand over fist in increased value of both franchises yearly, better then anything in a Stock Market. When she does decide to liquidate everything to put into Pauls favored enterprises which are already funded it will be thru Vulcans Management. Last year she seen the value increase 11 percent with the Seahawks
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seattle-seahawks-no-sale-2025-jody-allen

She may not be selling in 2024 but she could be in 2025 or 2026, which is just around the corner. What I am concerned about is that she seems to be a pretty effective leader and we're going to lose that with no guarantees the next owner will be as good. Anyone like me who's been around long enough to live through the Ken Behring or Howard Schultz fiascos, knows what I'm talking about.

Parallax

Reaction score
I don't know Jody Allen and I'm not going to make up stories about her. I think the team should have moved on from Pete Carroll two years ago, when Russ was traded. I'm glad Schneider was given control of the draft but he was still making picks based on what Carroll wanted to do with the team. Would have been better to team him with a new head coach then.

But hey, better late than never. Glad she finally had enough of Pete's empty promises and complete lack of ability to think or plan strategically. He was a great coach in his day but the game has passed him by and he was too stubborn to adjust. He tried here and there but it was always too little too late.