272.4 and 273.6

Rob12

Reaction score
Is our defense really better this year than LAST season?

The numbers would say so.

Unreal.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This year's defense is now slightly better in yards allowed per game. But they are still worse in points per game: 14.4 last season vs. 17.3 this year. Even if they shut out their next two opponents, this year's defense would still average over 15 per game.

Statistically, we are actually better against the run than we were last year: 101.6 rushing yards/game last year vs. 88.1 rushing yards/game this year. However, we did see some warning signs exposing our difficulties in stopping the run while the 49ers still had healthy tailbacks. That's an area they can continue to improve on.

lobohawk

Reaction score
And I'm guessing that this year's team had a tougher schedule against better offenses.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The big difference this season is they are forcing less turnovers and have fewer sacks.

But considering we had to face Rodgers, Rivers, Manning, Romo... That probably explains it a bit. Those guys don't throw many picks or take many sacks.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Part of the turnover thing is simply that teams learned. How often are deep fades thrown to Sherman this season? They arent. Period. Youre not going to get many interceptions or, by the way, sacks when the other teams are mostly using 3 step drops and throwing 2 yards down field on crossing routes.

I think they are playing better this year at this point. Simon is becoming a Sherman clone, Maxwell is probably also a pro bowler covering the slot.. theyve put Irvin back to where he is an impact player.. Jordan Hill is emerging and that helps the pass rush over all..

Im just excited as I could be about this unit. To have back to back years play at THIS level is very rare..

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They have been doing this without key pieces of the defense for much of the season - Wagner was hut early and now has been back for the last 4 games. Mebane has been out since the Chiefs game. Chancellor missed a game or two as well. Just think how much better this defense would be had those guys been healthy all season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
lobohawk":1ye5owyn said:
And I'm guessing that this year's team had a tougher schedule against better offenses.

Yes, this is a very important point. The schedule has been brutal this year, yet overall our Defense has been about in the same range as last year. Which is really impressive.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Michael Bennett needs to be acknowledged here. The man is playing a ridiculous percentage of snaps and is wreaking havoc on opposing offenses right now. He opens things up so much for his linemates and the LBs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
lobohawk":2fne5jgl said:

The amount of elite QBs we've faced is probably more, but judging by the amount of backup (and 3rd string) QBs we've faced this year, I'd say that is incorrect. Our division is in a shambles at the QB position currently, and we play half of our schedule against the division (or close enough to half).

I think our defense is slightly better than last year's, but last year's was more effective/efficient. Injuries and rule "emphasis" has changed us a bit this year.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawknation2014":yqyhn7ne said:
This year's defense is now slightly better in yards allowed per game. But they are still worse in points per game: 14.4 last season vs. 17.3 this year. Even if they shut out their next two opponents, this year's defense would still average over 15 per game.

Statistically, we are actually better against the run than we were last year: 101.6 rushing yards/game last year vs. 88.1 rushing yards/game this year. However, we did see some warning signs exposing our difficulties in stopping the run while the 49ers still had healthy tailbacks. That's an area they can continue to improve on.

I think the QBs we faced this year were much better though..I mean we did go against Rodgers, Manning, Rivers, and Romo the first 4 out of 5 games

brettb3

Reaction score
Hawks46":56di3hip said:
lobohawk":56di3hip said:

The amount of elite QBs we've faced is probably more, but judging by the amount of backup (and 3rd string) QBs we've faced this year, I'd say that is incorrect. Our division is in a shambles at the QB position currently, and we play half of our schedule against the division (or close enough to half).

I think our defense is slightly better than last year's, but last year's was more effective/efficient. Injuries and rule "emphasis" has changed us a bit this year.
By division, you mean Cardinals. 49ers have the same QB, and the Rams are playing with a backup for the second year in a row.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1lga15rp said:
lobohawk":1lga15rp said:

Yes, this is a very important point. The schedule has been brutal this year, yet overall our Defense has been about in the same range as last year. Which is really impressive.

For those of you who like a quantitative analysis, here's the numbers:

In 2013, our opponents scored on average 22.1 pts/game, which puts them (the collective group) at #20 in scoring in the league last year. And we limited them to 14.4 pts/game on average, which is 7.7 points lower than their collective average.

This year after 14 games, our opponents have scored on average 22.5 pts/game, which puts them at #15 in scoring. Thus far we have limited them to 17.3 pts/game, which is 5.2 points lower than their collective average.

So on average the defense has not been as good as last year (which we all have known)... but these last four games have shown what they can do... and do in December when the games seem to count more... and can also do in the playoffs.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":d8cznd8n said:
Michael Bennett needs to be acknowledged here. The man is playing a ridiculous percentage of snaps and is wreaking havoc on opposing offenses right now. He opens things up so much for his linemates and the LBs.

This. I do believe someone said he'd be dino poo or something, was it Tokadub when he was drunk? Yes it was:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91848&p=1313771&hilit=+dino+poo+#p1313771

I just still find this funny. :lol:

Hawks46

Reaction score
brettb3":30vjmfdc said:
Hawks46":30vjmfdc said:
lobohawk":30vjmfdc said:

By division, you mean Cardinals. 49ers have the same QB, and the Rams are playing with a backup for the second year in a row.

I don't consider Kaepernick to be a good QB, although yes, he is a starter. We played the Cards with Stanton, who is a backup. We played Sanchez, Austin Davis, Alex Smith (not a backup, but I'd also consider him a weak QB), Carr, Kirk Cousins, and we'll play Lindley and Hill. That's half of our games against backups or below average to terrible QBs.

Newton, Eli Manning, maybe Alex Smith, are all considered decent to good QBs. Definately above average. So call it 3 ?

Then we have P. Manning, Rodgers, Romo, Rivers are all considered great to elite QBs. That's 4.

Most of our games have been against pretty bad QBs. With the way the league wants things to go with all the rules for the offense, even a poor to average QB can hit your defense up for 17-21 points. Notice how those poor QBs fared when we got healthy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3syxz7t5 said:
They have been doing this without key pieces of the defense for much of the season - Wagner was hut early and now has been back for the last 4 games. Mebane has been out since the Chiefs game. Chancellor missed a game or two as well. Just think how much better this defense would be had those guys been healthy all season.
You're absolutely correct.
Injuries really messed up the continuity to the key players on our Defense.
Next Man Up only let's you compete at a minimum.
Wagner and Chancellor do not have viable backups, at least not right now we don't.