ESPN Seahawks only allow 39 points in last 6 games

ivotuk

Reaction score
Only two teams did better, 1975 Rams w/32 points and 1976 Steelers w/22 points allowed.

Of course Trey Wingo had to add "the caveat they played against some bad QBs." Kaepernick isn't a bad QB, and Sanchez is serviceable when not playing against Seattle. Shaun Hill is a decent QB to. Lindley? A really bad QB.

But, be that as it may, who were these offensive juggernauts the steelers and rams played in 75\76? You can't belittle a stat by throwing out a caveat unless you are able to complete the statement. Not doing so invalidates your argument and makes MrWingo appear immature.

None of it really matters though. This is a historically great defense, and nothing Mr. Wingo, or anyone else says can change that fact. :th2thumbs:

themunn

Reaction score
You can only beat what's put in front of you at the end of the day.

49ers might have picked off Lindley threw times, but they also allowed 17 points, over 400 total yards and 2 TD passes. And they're not too bad a defense either.

el capitan

Reaction score
If this defense keeps playing at an über-elite level, as they have done for the past two years, then it'll only be a matter of time before its status as an historically good defense is recognised as fact rather than being open to debate.

Another ring wouldn't hurt the cause.

Mick063

Reaction score
el capitan":11nnk6h4 said:
If this defense keeps playing at an über-elite level, as they have done for the past two years, then it'll only be a matter of time before its status as an historically good defense is recognised as fact rather than being open to debate.

I'm starting to wonder. It may not be just a matter of time.

I think there will always be an excuse, a caveat, or an asterisk.

It is blasphemy for the national media to regard this team as legendary. It ruins every canned narrative they have conditioned us to for the last 50 years. There are only about ten teams that can ever be great. The rest must have been lucky. Seattle will have to win five Super Bowls this decade to be considered a dynasty.

New England only needed three.

Dallas only needed two as the Super Bowls they won two decades earlier must count as well.

You watch. The rhetoric is coming.

NINEster

Reaction score
Mick063":37rg3jz5 said:
el capitan":37rg3jz5 said:

I'm starting to wonder. It may not be just a matter of time.

I think there will always be an excuse, a caveat, or an asterisk.

It is blasphemy for the national media to regard this team as legendary. It ruins every canned narrative they have conditioned us to for the last 50 years. There are only about ten teams that can ever be great. The rest must have been lucky. Seattle will have to win five Super Bowls this decade to be considered a dynasty.

New England only needed three.

Dallas only needed two as the Super Bowls they won two decades earlier must count as well.

You watch. The rhetoric is coming.

Dallas won 3 in the '90s.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I can't understand why we care so much... I mean, sure, it pisses me off when the national media forgets south Alaska--but at the same time, I know what we've done. I don't really care who thinks we are the best when we keep winning.

FireHawk79

Reaction score
I wonder what they would say if you had a proponent adding the fact that the rules have changed soooo much in favor of offenses! Im sure they would still find a way to disregard that fact. They just cant handle it apparently!

Phteven

Reaction score
The Seahawks get plenty of love in the media, and if they win the sb this year, this defense will surely be in mentioned alongside the best defenses in the history of the league.

At he same time, The analysts have to provide some balance to the hawk's dominance, and give other team fans some hope so ratings are high.

Seafan

Reaction score
What's funny is the media said with 6 games to go the Hawks had the toughest schedule left to play.

Now not so much. That's typical.

The Hawks are 4-1 against the current playoff QBs. I don't think the Hawk defense cares who they play against.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Phteven":1cy4w0v7 said:
The seahawks get plenty of love in the media, and if they win the sb this year, this defense will surely be in mentioned alongside the best defenses in the history of the league.

At he same time, The analysts have to provide some balance to the hawk's dominance, and give other team fans some hope so ratings are high.

Yep. It's silly that some expect the media to never hedge or have any counterpoint, and to only heap worship on the Seahawks. We get tons of credit, and everyone in the media knows that this Seahawks team is great. If they just leave it at "they're awesome. Umm, next," then people would gripe about us not getting enough segments on the pregame shows.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
In the salary cap era no less, that is an incredible feat.

I need to stop taking it for granted as well, I browse other sites where fans are licking their wounds over a blowout loss and can't really remember the last time that happened to us.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What I love most about out defense is simply watching them dominate other offenses.

Used to be my interest would wane when our defense took the field because we had a history of allowing the 3rd and long play on a regular basis.

Now, I look forward to watching them. They are that good.

Right up there with the Fearsome Foursome, the Purple People Eaters, the Steel Curtain and the '85 Bears 4-6 defense.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ivotuk":vmhcagz5 said:
Only two teams did better, 1975 Rams w/32 points and 1976 Steelers w/22 points allowed.

Of course Trey Wingo had to add "the caveat they played against some bad QBs." Kaepernick isn't a bad QB, and Sanchez is serviceable when not playing against Seattle. Shaun Hill is a decent QB to. Lindley? A really bad QB.

But, be that as it may, who were these offensive juggernauts the steelers and rams played in 75\76? You can't belittle a stat by throwing out a caveat unless you are able to complete the statement. Not doing so invalidates your argument and makes MrWingo appear immature.

None of it really matters though. This is a historically great defense, and nothing Mr. Wingo, or anyone else says can change that fact. :th2thumbs:
Meh, also don't forget that defenses were actually allowed to play defense back in 1975-76 so Wingo can shut up. Besides as Midwesthawker points out there really isn't much to say about us because we are just that good right now.

Hawks46

Reaction score
FireHawk79":3k400dd0 said:
I wonder what they would say if you had a proponent adding the fact that the rules have changed soooo much in favor of offenses! Im sure they would still find a way to disregard that fact. They just cant handle it apparently!

Actually, they say it constantly. Almost all of the analysts (especially former players) say this constantly, and there are numerous articles out there trying to put formulas on how exactly good this defense is compared to other defenses with the difference being from different eras.

Midwesthawker has it right. People are going to gripe regardless.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":onfkk0ri said:
What I love most about out defense is simply watching them dominate other offenses.

Used to be my interest would wane when our defense took the field because we had a history of allowing the 3rd and long play on a regular basis.

Now, I look forward to watching them. They are that good.

Right up there with the Fearsome Foursome, the Purple People Eaters, the Steel Curtain and the '85 Bears 4-6 defense.

Great post. I feel the same way. I get excited when our defense comes on the field because invariably something great is going to happen.

A Kevin Williams sack, a Jordan Hill amazing INT, a Bruce Irvin pick 6! Opposing offenses are going to be frightened.

And to those worried that Seahawks fans worry too much about what Pundits say, for the most part we don't, but we do find it entertaining. Trey Wingo is yet another example of a frustrated broadcaster who is upset because things aren't fitting their idea of how a season should go. So they have to create caveats so things better fit they're personal narrative.

It is so much fun to watch my favorite team upset the status quo, and in the process piss off "the Old Guard" who believe that teams like Seattle are only there to give wins to the power teams of the late 20th Century.

Some people really hate change, I embrace it. :th2thumbs:

Rufus

Reaction score
ivotuk":1h330nkf said:

It's also interesting to note that of the 39 points the Seahawks have allowed in the last 6 games, only 13 were allowed in the 2nd half, and in the 4th quarter: 0.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I could give a rat's ass what some pundit or talking head says about the Hawks. I don't need their approval or blessing. I'll take the SB rings.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3m5b46ua said:
ivotuk":3m5b46ua said:

Meh, also don't forget that defenses were actually allowed to play defense back in 1975-76 so Wingo can shut up. Besides as Midwesthawker points out there really isn't much to say about us because we are just that good right now.
Excellent point. Anyone not around yet to watch that era of football, watch some highlights. Much of that style of play would get flagged in today's game. Again, excellent point. Makes the accomplishments of this Hawks Defense all the more impressive.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
All I can think about this is when ADB says "You can’t win a game in the 1st quarter, 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter, but you can win the game in the 4th quarter, and that’s how we–that’s our motto"

0 points in the 4th quarter will sure help that one out :thirishdrinkers: