Are We Going to See the "Pop Pass" at any point again?

Sac

Reaction score
We saw it once, early in the year. Read-option, Russ keeps the ball and rolls left, the corner leaves his man and runs toward the line of scrimmage only to have Russ lob it over his head to Ricardo Lockette for a 50 yard gain.

I'd like to see that again.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1qvv6ccy said:
We saw it once, early in the year. Read-option, Russ keeps the ball and rolls left, the corner leaves his man and runs toward the line of scrimmage only to have Russ lob it over his head to Ricardo Lockette for a 50 yard gain.

That was a great play. I think Carolina's defense is probably a little too well disciplined though to leave their coverage like that. I'm sure it's something Wilson is looking for every time he rolls out, and if they do abandon their coverage, he'll be tossing that ball out there.

Cartire

Reaction score
Cool play, but a lot needs to go right for it to even work.

You need to have the DE crash the middle after lynch. You need the corner to pull off his man in anticipation for stopping wilson. And you need the safety playing cover 2.

A fun play that is viable as an option. But its an option because it requires the defense to allow it to happen.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I can't remember the pass Wilson under threw against Carolina but was it a similar type play? If I'm not mistaken they are in zone a lot so not sure its ideal this week but against man coverage and under circumstances similar to what Cartire explained I would love to see it.

Cartire

Reaction score
austinslater25":2r011ymp said:
I can't remember the pass Wilson under threw against Carolina but was it a similar type play? If I'm not mistaken they are in zone a lot so not sure its ideal this week but against man coverage and under circumstances similar to what Cartire explained I would love to see it.

It was a broken play where helfett was wide open. Russell broke out of the pocket to the left dodging a free rusher I believe. And the D completely lost track of helfet who was then wide open.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
kidhawk":a4xqxz00 said:
SacHawk2.0":a4xqxz00 said:

That was a great play. I think Carolina's defense is probably a little too well disciplined though to leave their coverage like that. I'm sure it's something Wilson is looking for every time he rolls out, and if they do abandon their coverage, he'll be tossing that ball out there.

He actually did it in Carolina during the week 8 game, only it was Cooper Helfet that fell trying to get back to the ball that Wilson underthrew. One of the 8 missed opportunities that day and in the red zone near the goal line.

oops.. looks like someone already mentioned it...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I mean, you could say the play against GB has been paying dividends this entire season. They put it on tape in Week 1, and SEA has gotten huge gains off RO keepers ever since. The DBs are likely coached to maintain discipline on the receivers running their routes. That leaves more open space for Wilson, who just had a fairly historic season for rushing as a QB.

chet380

Reaction score
The one I'd like to see more of is the play where CMike chip-blocked in pass protection and broke downfield while being covered by a LB -- 10yds behind the guy in what seemed like an instant -- unfortunately RW over-threw him.

byau

Reaction score
In years past (well, in the Russell Wilson era) there was quite a bit more flea-flicker. Think we'll see it?

And curious about more handoffs or passes to the fullback Tukuafu (MRob was quite involved when he was the FB)

Have seen it very little this year of either so it's not really on the tape this year. Hmmm...

MysterMatt

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":z31lb8rs said:

Me, too.