What did you make of the Run D?

gulliver

Reaction score
Now that we're down both Mebane and Hill?

They didn't go HAM on us, and they do have a RO threat in Cam, but they still got 132 yards and Stewart averaged 5.4 YPC on 13 carries.

Reason I ask is, being without Hill AND Bane is a new-ish reality, and if the Cowboys win, we're likely to face an even better run game.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
But the threat of Cam running as well opened up holes in the line; their double-triple option creates space as the perimeter has to be contained.

While I agree that Murray will still be tough to stop, especially with Dallas' O-line, but it'll be easier to key in on him and not worry about 2nd running options.

I think we did admirably in the Panthers game, keeping the long runs in check, and Cam bottled up for the most part.

Bring on the Cowboys; we'll be fine!

Hawks46

Reaction score
I was more surprised by Carolina's run game.

They were extremely creative using formations, motion into the backfield and different personnel. I'm not happy about the run performance, but honestly I think we did pretty well considering what we were looking at and our injuries.

I'm less than happy/thrilled about us giving up a few 3rd and longs to a team that struggles with passing and passing accuracy. If Cam Newton could find some consistency, he'd be a damn good player.

I was really surprised by how much they had him run. Dude has fractures in his spine and he's still out there running guys over. I have more respect for him today.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kevin Williams was on the ground about 1 out of every 2 plays and generally really didn't have a good game, but that aside I think they did a good job spreading the defense out with the option and triple option with a couple of players who are both big AND fast in Newton and Stewart. Also, on that left sideline I don't think Simon did near as good of a job getting rid of the WR and coming upfield to cut off the angle of the runner. Maxwell is very, very stout for a corner.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Effective game planning and solid execution by the Panthers was a big part of their success for certain. Not a lot of big plays, but solid average per carry. Carolina O-line blocked more effectively than should have been possible given the personnel turnover and who they had out there, but they came to play for sure. And Stewart is a stud when healthy, and he looked pretty healthy last night. Hawks could have been stouter a few times, but the scheme and personnel Carolina had in the run game is not likely to be seen from any of the remaining opponents, so I don't see it as an on-going concern.
Now, generating consistent pressure on ARodg is what I'd focus on...

Mick063

Reaction score
I came away more impressed by a finally healthy Jonathon Stewart than Seattle's supposed inability to stop the run.

There are a handful of players that can run with speed and power like that. Seattle's team speed allowed for gang tackling and limited Stewart's effectiveness to an acceptable level. Carolina didn't use him enough until it was too late and they were forced to become one dimensional.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Run game worries me, and without Mebane I think Lacy has more success that he had last time.

jake206

Reaction score
Between Murray or Lacy. I choose Lacy. Easier of the two. Run D should be weaker than without Mebane, but I don't think markedly so. Besides Rogers is going to be slinging it. You know it.

getnasty

Reaction score
Lacey might have a better game but that's not saying much. Lacey just doesn't worry me against our defense.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Wagner had Lacy's number in the first meeting big time. If the interior line can at least hold, I hope for a repeat.