so this guy wanted to post stats against wilson

Seahawk4lyfe

Reaction score
Alright, I didn't want to do this, but I am tired of you saying that Russell Wilson is a game winner. Here we go.

Russell Wilson ranks 20th and 19th in the league in pass attempts and pass completions, respectively. His 63.1% completion percentage is equal to Ryan Fitzpatrick and ranks below Kyle Orton and Andy Dalton. He is 26th in the NFL in passing yards per game and only averages 217.2 yards per game through the air. His quarterback rating of 95.0 is 12th in the NFL, and that number is skewed by his rushing totals.

And while we are on the subject, he had a career high of 842 rushing yards this year, which seems impressive, but he also took a massive 42 sacks this year behind a decent to good offensive line. Tom Brady was sacked 21 times, Peyton Manning 17 times, Aaron Rodgers 28 times. So while his running did get a lot of yardage, he also lost around 200 more yards on sacks than Peyton Manning.
Other key stats that are important and underlie my comments about Russell Wilson not being elite: He only has 159 passes that resulted in 1st down, which ranks 19th in the NFL, meaning they use their running game to a much bigger efficiency than their passing game to move the ball. Also, the Seattle Seahawks gave up the least first downs in the NFL this year, and led the league in time of possession AND had the league lead in average drive start yardage, meaning when they got the ball, they were on average, starting their drives at their opponents 36 yard line. Compare that to say, the Saints (Opp. 21) or Falcons (Opp. 20) or Colts (Opp. 24) and you can see that he benefits from a strong running game and a defense that gives him the ball more frequently, for longer periods of time, and closer to his opponents red zone than ANY QB in football.

The whole point, is that Russell Wilson has flashes of brilliance, but then also has games of absolute mediocrity. Next year, he will become the highest paid QB in football, and the numbers I just gave you do not equate to that. If we swap him and Andrew Luck, its insane to imagine that Seahawks team with an actual passing game. Doug Baldwin and Paul Richardson would be stars. And TY Hilton would be an average receiver at best.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what was posted on my Facebook page after I said somthing about how russell doesn't get the recognition he deserves behind a great defense and running game......

I want to pick this apart and destroy him but I'm not very good at finding stats. Anyone else here think they can counter this garbage....

BullHawk33

Reaction score
O Line - Football Outsiders has us ranked as the 2nd rushing line and the 24th pass protection line, so if you are going to rate a line to play behind as good, I don't think the Seahawks line qualifies.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
WTH???

Who cares?

When desperate fans are looking for hope they refer to stuff like this. Wilson is a stud and has embarrassed his counterparts time and time again. The guy knows how to win and that is the only stat that matters.

OP
OP
S

Seahawk4lyfe

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3jgukxdo said:
WTH???

Who cares?

When desperate fans are looking for hope they refer to stuff like this. Wilson is a stud and has embarrassed his counterparts time and time again. The guy knows how to win and that is the only stat that matters.

Exactly. I usually don't even care but I live in cali and it's a constant battle. This guy in particular I would love to shut em up.

minormillikin

Reaction score
His quarterback rating of 95.0 is 12th in the NFL, and that number is skewed by his rushing totals.

Quarterback rating doesn't take rushing into account at all. It's purely completions, attempts, passing yards, touchdowns and interceptions.

Russell Wilson has a 95 passer rating PLUS a crap-ton of rushing yards.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
He keeps thinking we are a passing team, we are a balanced attack. Russ won't get those stats for those reason. To think you just swap Russ and Luck and all of a sudden the Seahawks are unstoppable is foolish. Pete Carroll wouldn't want Luck to be throwing it up 30+ times a game, and the bad part is that Luck throws so much INT/Turnovers that it would cause our defense to be out there longer, tiring out that whole defense. Anyone can play the what if games that's easy. John Schneider wanted Wilson and said that Russell and Luck had the same grade.

Mention why with the same defense in 2011 and with Marshawn only went 7-9. Our offense didn't take off until Wilson got here. Pete's mantra goes great with Wilson's efficiency, and that is it's all about the ball so don't turn it over.

Our o-line was a revolving door, and the whole Percy issues, and media attacks, and yet here we are going to the NFCC game.

In the end dude will stay a hater, he's already made up his mind about Wilson. He looks around and all he sees is Wilson in commercial, he must be dying inside every time Wilson comes on TV.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Here's a stat for you, the Seahawks have taken the lead in every game Russell Wilson has played. Every single one.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seahawk4lyfe":gokzq5cn said:
Alright, I didn't want to do this, but I am tired of you saying that Russell Wilson is a game winner. Here we go.

Russell Wilson ranks 20th and 19th in the league in pass attempts and pass completions, respectively. His 63.1% completion percentage is equal to Ryan Fitzpatrick and ranks below Kyle Orton and Andy Dalton. He is 26th in the NFL in passing yards per game and only averages 217.2 yards per game through the air. His quarterback rating of 95.0 is 12th in the NFL, and that number is skewed by his rushing totals.

And while we are on the subject, he had a career high of 842 rushing yards this year, which seems impressive, but he also took a massive 42 sacks this year behind a decent to good offensive line. Tom Brady was sacked 21 times, Peyton Manning 17 times, Aaron Rodgers 28 times. So while his running did get a lot of yardage, he also lost around 200 more yards on sacks than Peyton Manning.
Other key stats that are important and underlie my comments about Russell Wilson not being elite: He only has 159 passes that resulted in 1st down, which ranks 19th in the NFL, meaning they use their running game to a much bigger efficiency than their passing game to move the ball. Also, the Seattle Seahawks gave up the least first downs in the NFL this year, and led the league in time of possession AND had the league lead in average drive start yardage, meaning when they got the ball, they were on average, starting their drives at their opponents 36 yard line. Compare that to say, the Saints (Opp. 21) or Falcons (Opp. 20) or Colts (Opp. 24) and you can see that he benefits from a strong running game and a defense that gives him the ball more frequently, for longer periods of time, and closer to his opponents red zone than ANY QB in football.

The whole point, is that Russell Wilson has flashes of brilliance, but then also has games of absolute mediocrity. Next year, he will become the highest paid QB in football, and the numbers I just gave you do not equate to that. If we swap him and Andrew Luck, its insane to imagine that Seahawks team with an actual passing game. Doug Baldwin and Paul Richardson would be stars. And TY Hilton would be an average receiver at best.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what was posted on my Facebook page after I said somthing about how russell doesn't get the recognition he deserves behind a great defense and running game......

I want to pick this apart and destroy him but I'm not very good at finding stats. Anyone else here think they can counter this garbage....

Well for one he is a moron because rushing stats do not impact QB rating. His QB rating of 95 was 10th not 12th, HSI YPA was 8th, His 2,85 TD/Int ratio is 5th. His oline is ranked 24th in pass protection so sorry not good. Of all the top QBs he faced the most top 10 defenses. His career QB rating is top 5 all time for first 3 years. I Can go on by why bother, to be honest most of the stats he quotes are wrong.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Career 98.6 Passer rating in regular season... 109.6 rating in the postseason. Let him suck on that. And wouldn't it be pretty hard to getting into a rhythm throwing when you do so little of it

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Send them a picture of RW holding the Lombardi. That is how top QB's are remembered in the NFL. The rest is just filler.

Rainger

Reaction score
Seahawk4lyfe":2jmhie6p said:

^^^^^^^^^^^

Save your energy. Just ask him why he hates short people.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
A few things:

Most of the volume points (attempts, completions, yards) is simply due to the fact that we don't pass much. So, of course his numbers aren't huge - we wouldn't expect them to be.

The completion percentage is a stat that can be missleading. Jay Cutler is higher than Aaron Rodgers. Kyle Orton higher than Tom Brady. And Wilson higher than Luck. It's just a small part of the equation.

QB rating is a better measure IMO - and as a passer, that feels about right in the 5-10 range. As a pure passer - he is not elite. I will yield that point. What he does do as a passer is hold on to the ball - and has fewer turnovers than virtually all of the elite passers.

QB rating does not take into account rushing, so your friend is just wrong about that. And as a non-passer, Wilson is in a league of his own.

All told, Wilson is probably a top 5 QB. And the way contracts work with inflation, top 5 QBs become the highest paid players in the league's history. So, it's odd to say, but a strong case can be made for Wilson's market salary being a record setting contract.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know that we SHOULD pay him record-setting money, but there's certainly a case to do so.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Use the stats and info that's been provided, but I agree with others, this guy will not listen. You can transfer your desire to make him understand onto Russell and Co. and let them do the winning. You have the satisfaction of knowing that while RW contends for championships, this idiot will be gnashing his teeth in utter confusion. He'll eventually begin to question reality and wonder why the universe is such a cold and unfair place for someone as smart as him.

Also, the guy doesn't know which side of the field is the opponents'. If we started each drive, on average, 36 yards away from the goal line, we would have set the all-time record for points scored.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Ignorant people like that will never concede or admit they were wrong about a player. They have their opinion set and won't sway. You could throw all the stats to point he is a game winner and top 10 qb and he will still believe he isn't. But people are slowly becoming believers. It starts with the media and once the majority of media starts discussing Russ as elite popular opinion will move towards it as well. We're just lucky up here and already know it to be true.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seahawk4lyfe":3gic949p said:
I love all of u

FYI you can also tell him he is wrong about our avg starting position, it was not the 36 but the 30. Also NO was the 25 not the 21, Atl was the 26 not the 20, and INdy was 28 not 24. Also Seattle was not #1 we were #4. #1 was Miami, #2 NE (but of course that's Brady so it did not help him), and #3 is Buf. Also GB was 29, Denver 29, Dal 28. Hmm all right in the same grouping. So another stat showing this guy is wrong.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff