Shout Out-Quinn and Hawks Defense (Numbers by Quarter) …

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I don’t know if you guys have seen the numbers yet or not, but check out the numbers by Quarter. What an amazing job of recovery …

1st Quarter …
80 Passing Yards Allowed (Rodgers 8 for 14 – 1 TD and 1 INT)
58 Rushing Yards Allowed (12 Rushing Attempts … 4.83 Yds/Rush)

13 Points (1 TD, 2 FG) Allowed

2nd Quarter … (from 13:18 mark)
35 Passing Yards Allowed (Rodgers 4 for 7 – 1 INT)
6 Rushing Yards Allowed (4 Rushing Attempts … 1.5 Yds/Rush)

3 Points (1 FG) Allowed

3rd Quarter …
20 Passing Yards Allowed (Rodgers 3 for 4)
15 Rushing Yards Allowed (4 Rushing Attempts … 3.75 Yds/Rush)

0 Points Allowed

4th Quarter …
43 Passing Yards Allowed (Rodgers 4 for 9)
57 Rushing Yards Allowed (10 Rushing Attempts … 5.7 Yds/Rush)

6 Points (2 FG) Allowed

Most of that came on that last drive at the 1:25 mark.
Rodgers was 3 for 5 for 36 yards passing on that drive.
32 of those Rushing Yards came on that very first play of the 4th Quarter on that run by Starks.

1st Half …
Aaron Rodgers …12 for 21 (57.1% Comp) … 115 Yards Passing … 1 TD … 2 INT … QB Rating of 48.8
Packer RB’s … 64 Yards Rushing on 16 Attempts (4.0 Yds/Rush)

16 Points Allowed

2nd Half …
Aaron Rodgers … 7 for 16 (43.8% Comp) … 63 Yards Passing … 0 TD … 0 INT … QB Rating of 54.9
Packer RB’s … 72 Yards Rushing on 14 Attempts (5.14 Yds/Rush).

Take away that 1 (32 yard) rush by Starks though, and the Seahawks gave up just 3.07 Yds/Rush in the 2nd Half.
6 Points Allowed

What a great job of adjustments by Quinn and the rest of the Coaching staff … and of stepping up by every single member of that Seahawks defense. On to Glendale baby!!!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We did a good enough job in coverage but we were sorry in pressuring Rogers. What adjustments did we make anyway? It looked as if we pretty much stayed base.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
brimsalabim":6ih9rtv7 said:
We did a good enough job in coverage but we were sorry in pressuring Rogers. What adjustments did we make anyway? It looked as if we pretty much stayed base.

Only 6 Points Allowed in the 2nd half after allowing 16 Points in the 1st half. The Hawks also allowed 52 less yards passing by Rodgers ... held him to a lower completion percentage ... and pretty much kept his receivers at bay.

After what we saw out of this group in the 1st Quarter -- to come back like they did... I'm fairly impressed.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Great job but I was hoping for a better pass rush. Wanted Rogers on his ass more.. Guess I'll have to settle for Brady on his ass.. I can live with that..

themunn

Reaction score
Yeah, we had trouble pressuring Rogers, but PFF had the Packers O-line as the best in the league at pass blocking (14th in run blocking).

The Patriots? 31st in pass blocking (8th run blocking).

I don't quite believe it myself, but it does explain why they resorted to trickery against the Ravens. Oddly enough, FO has them as the 2nd best pass blocking line and GB 13th, but that's based purely on adjusted sack rate, and doesn't allow for pressure allowed that forces poor throws (which is essentially our bread and butter).

sutz

Reaction score
I think at least part of that was our offense waking up and evening the TOP a bit.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":hemy4209 said:
Those run numbers are not typical of our Hawks. We really miss Mebane and Hill and in pass rushing as well.

I can't disagree. We most certainly DO and we're going to continue to miss those guys in the SB. Granted. That said, I think it's fairly impressive how this group was able to minimize the damage. As noted below, outside of that 1 big run by Starks to start the 4th Quarter, the Hawks defense allowed just 3.07 Yards/Rush in the 2nd Half. That's something the coaching staff can fix.

Sign37now":hemy4209 said:
Great job but I was hoping for a better pass rush. Wanted Rogers on his ass more.. Guess I'll have to settle for Brady on his ass.. I can live with that..

Again, I can't disagree either. I would have loved to have seen that as well. Keep something in mind though.

Green Bay allowed just 30 sacks during the regular season (9th fewest in the league). Looking forward to the Super Bowl ...
New England allowed just 26 sacks during the regular season (tied for 4th fewest in the league).

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady BOTH are among the league leaders in fastest pass releases in the game.
https://pff-pffanalysisltd12.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Less-Than-2.0-Seconds.png

The facts of the matter are ... that sack numbers were bound to be down. It's about being able to bring pressure, which granted we've got to do a better job of generating consistent pressure -- especially against Brady. Pete Carroll and crew have 2 weeks to figure it out. History says that when you give Carroll that kind of time, he'll come up with a fairly effective game plan to exploit a team's weaknesses. That said, so does Belichick. IMO, this is going to be one whale of a match-up.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2zdpue9p said:
I don’t know if you guys have seen the numbers yet or not, but check out the numbers by Quarter. What an amazing job of recovery …

1st Quarter …
80 Passing Yards Allowed (Rodgers 8 for 14 – 1 TD and 1 INT)
58 Rushing Yards Allowed (12 Rushing Attempts … 4.83 Yds/Rush)

13 Points (1 TD, 2 FG) Allowed

2nd Quarter … (from 13:18 mark)
35 Passing Yards Allowed (Rodgers 4 for 7 – 1 INT)
6 Rushing Yards Allowed (4 Rushing Attempts … 1.5 Yds/Rush)

3 Points (1 FG) Allowed

3rd Quarter …
20 Passing Yards Allowed (Rodgers 3 for 4)
15 Rushing Yards Allowed (4 Rushing Attempts … 3.75 Yds/Rush)

0 Points Allowed

4th Quarter …
43 Passing Yards Allowed (Rodgers 4 for 9)
57 Rushing Yards Allowed (10 Rushing Attempts … 5.7 Yds/Rush)

6 Points (2 FG) Allowed

Most of that came on that last drive at the 1:25 mark.
Rodgers was 3 for 5 for 36 yards passing on that drive.
32 of those Rushing Yards came on that very first play of the 4th Quarter on that run by Starks.

1st Half …
Aaron Rodgers …12 for 21 (57.1% Comp) … 115 Yards Passing … 1 TD … 2 INT … QB Rating of 48.8
Packer RB’s … 64 Yards Rushing on 16 Attempts (4.0 Yds/Rush)

16 Points Allowed

2nd Half …
Aaron Rodgers … 7 for 16 (43.8% Comp) … 63 Yards Passing … 0 TD … 0 INT … QB Rating of 54.9
Packer RB’s … 72 Yards Rushing on 14 Attempts (5.14 Yds/Rush).

Take away that 1 (32 yard) rush by Starks though, and the Seahawks gave up just 3.07 Yds/Rush in the 2nd Half.
6 Points Allowed

What a great job of adjustments by Quinn and the rest of the Coaching staff … and of stepping up by every single member of that Seahawks defense. On to Glendale baby!!!
You are correct, would have liked to see a little more pressure on Erin, but overall the defense played well and kept us in the game despite the clunker the offense was throwing up for 3.5 quarters!

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3uq14ufn said:
You are correct, would have liked to see a little more pressure on Erin, but overall the defense played well and kept us in the game despite the clunker the offense was throwing up for 3.5 quarters!

Precisely. To give up 16 points by Aaron Rodgers in the 1st Half ... and just 6 points in the 2nd Half is darned impressive. It's more impressive when you consider that the defense actually stuffed the Packers TWICE on the goal line in the 1st Quarter. If that's against any other defense ... those are both TD's and this Seahawks team loses.

When you consider that this Seahawks Defense did what they did against the Packers -- who were the #1 Scoring Offense in the NFL (30.4 Pts/Game Average) -- that makes that comeback performance by this group even more laudable.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
So, this Hawks Defense has beat the #1 offense for the last two years in a row, one AFC in the Bowl, the next year, the NFC in the CCGame.

This is an historic Defense; if we could keep the next opponent's game score below 20 pts, I think we''ll win.