Fly Cheap[er]

SonicHawk

Reaction score
This is a public service for all 12s.

Flights

Leave Friday, Return Monday.

From Seattle $883, Bellingham $849, Spokane, $790, Portland $693 -- All can be found on Google Fligths.

Roundabout booking

One Way (FRI) Seattle -> SFO - PHX - ABQ (obviously don't get on the ABQ plane) | $320
One way (MON, but get back TUE morning) Phoenix -> Seattle (Multiple) | $205

Total cost: $525.

I'll keep looking.

Trying to save money on the way there...

LEAVE FRIDAY, ARRIVE FRIDAY.
One Way (FRI) Seattle -> SFO - PHX - ABQ (obviously don't get on the ABQ plane) | $320

LEAVE FRIDAY, ARRIVE SATURDAY.
One Way Seattle -> DEN - PHX | $294
One Way Seattle -> LAX - PHX - Mazatlan | $315

LEAVE SATURDAY, ARRIVE SATURDAY
One Way (SAT) Seattle -> SFO - PHX -> ABQ | ~300
One Way (SAT) Seattle -> LAX -> PHX | $196.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I read somewhere that a couple of airlines are suing some kid that has a website providing tips about how to save money using "hidden city" bookings. Perhaps instead of trying to suppress the information, the airlines should review their pricing. It shouldn't be more expensive to fly from A to B than it is to fly from A to B to C.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":wawqnz2u said:
I read somewhere that a couple of airlines are suing some kid that has a website providing tips about how to save money using "hidden city" bookings. Perhaps instead of trying to suppress the information, the airlines should review their pricing. It shouldn't be more expensive to fly from A to B than it is to fly from A to B to C.

Pricing is intentional based on demand, marketing and focus.

It's called skip-lagging when you intend to get off at a layover instead of your 'destination'.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
SonicHawk":1qjkl3v4 said:
SnoCoHawk":1qjkl3v4 said:

It's called skip-lagging when you intend to get off at a layover instead of your 'destination'.

Watch if you do this that your bags don't end up in destination C, causing all kinds of headache. That's a risk that might not be the best one to take in such a situation. Lots of people flying into the place where you are trying to get your bag(s) rerouted to before you turn around and head home afterward.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":26rfract said:
SonicHawk":26rfract said:
SnoCoHawk":26rfract said:

Watch if you do this that your bags don't end up in destination C, causing all kinds of headache. That's a risk that might not be the best one to take in such a situation. Lots of people flying into the place where you are trying to get your bag(s) rerouted to before you turn around and head home afterward.

Yep. Rule #1 is you can't check your bags. Carry-on only.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Good point, Sailor... but thought for the short trip it was obvious to have carry-ons only.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We're flying SEA - Las Vegas and driving down. Flights + Hotel + Car were about $850 per person that way and it lets you put down money on the Hawks ahead of time and then collect the winnings afterwards.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Flying out of Bellingham thru Allegiant Air flying into Phoenix/Mesa is about $600 after going thru their gauntlet of fees.
Problem is you have to figure in parking at the airport $80 approx Plus..... And their flights are limited and first flight back is Thursday after the super bowl.

Might actually be cheaper to drive down if you have the time, because you wouldn't have to rent a car or pay for airport parking.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
AgentDib":8rp7hbk7 said:
We're flying SEA - Las Vegas and driving down. Flights + Hotel + Car were about $850 per person that way and it lets you put down money on the Hawks ahead of time and then collect the winnings afterwards.
That's probably the way to go to be honest.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
AgentDib":2wrmju6m said:
THIS!!!

A flight to Vegas is $250-350 right now.

ManBunts

Reaction score
You can find surprisingly decent deals headed into San Diego any given day if you're willing to do a Thursday-Monday trip. It's about a 5 hour drive from there to Glendale if you go by the speed limits. Definitely a good consideration for a group that could split the cost of a vehicle and gas, and you get to avoid what I'm sure will be a complete cluster at the airport

Barthawk

Reaction score
thanks for the advice.. RT from San Antonio to PHX was $500ish.. i did a one way from San Antonio to SEA (through PHX) for $152 and then a one way back from PHX to SAT for $180.

What is stupid is the one way flight from SAT to PHX (same exact flight for the SEA flight) is $300. doesn't make sense.

try US Air one way from SEA to SAT.. the flights usually stop in PHX. Then one way back from PHX to SEA.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1wi7dz1q said:
SnoCoHawk":1wi7dz1q said:

actually, it is called hidden city ticketing before some jerk wad decided to blog about it. it has been around for ever and in the last 10 years, got easier with one way ticketing.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I just looked at the flight to ABQ from here and there is no Phx connector as it is sold out. LOL

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":37xvp8co said:
AgentDib":37xvp8co said:
That's probably the way to go to be honest.

I ran some numbers and came to the conclusion that LAX would probably be similar and cheaper. Many options for lodging east of Los Angeles on the way to/from Glendale, slightly shorter drive, many non stops to LAX from Seattle for not too much money, cheap rental cars at LAX.

Don't have a Super Bowl ticket so it's difficult for me to pull the trigger, but this seemed appealing in comparison to either flying SEA to PHX (much cheaper, especially given hotel costs in PHX) or driving SEA to PHX (21+ hours with some very isolated and cold parts of the freeway through the high desert and along the Rockies). Las Vegas seemed to be a bit more $$ for the flight, a bit more $$ for hotel, a bit more $$ for rental car, and it's maybe an hour longer drive through slightly more rugged terrain.

DericLee

Reaction score
Now you tell me.

We paid $1,500 for our plane tickets... though we fly straight out of Twin Falls, ID, with SLC layover before Phoenix.

Will be nice to not have to drive to Boise to get to the airport.

Also... is there a thread about .NET people going to the game and meeting up yet?

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
i booked my flights using points from YYZ to LAX. my brother will fly down from YVR to LAX and we will rent a car and drive over. accommodation still a little up in the air. no tickets yet but with points, i can always cancel if prices are too high. my brother happens to be in LA anyway and he just bough a one way back on the 2nd in case we go that he can eat as insurance and just take a credit.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
We're flying to LAX, driving to Phoenix, and returning via San Diego. I think final total was $350 per, including the car. Could have gone cheaper using one or the other as round trip rather than multiple arrive/depart points, but to get the flight times I wanted, that was the cheapest. Estimate gas will be $50, though not sure what prices are in southern CA right now. If you don't mind driving, you'll save a bundle.

Was going to do Vegas, but prices went up $200 per ticket while I was looking last night. Makes sense, since Vegas is going to be first option for drivers as well as a target destination for those not going to the game. Lot's of people go to Vegas to watch the Superbowl.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":1889mvgv said:
We're flying to LAX, driving to Phoenix, and returning via San Diego. I think final total was $350 per, including the car. Could have gone cheaper using one or the other as round trip rather than multiple arrive/depart points, but to get the flight times I wanted, that was the cheapest. Estimate gas will be $50, though not sure what prices are in southern CA right now. If you don't mind driving, you'll save a bundle.

Was going to do Vegas, but prices went up $200 per ticket while I was looking last night. Makes sense, since Vegas is going to be first option for drivers as well as a target destination for those not going to the game. Lot's of people go to Vegas to watch the Superbowl.

Yeah, flying to LAX is by far the cheapest way to go -- but then that drive from LA to PHX is not short.