Stephen A Smith calls out Seahawks fanbase

ivotuk

Reaction score
Funny thing is, he's calling them out for some fans indignation over not being talked about enough....and for their tendency to play the "no respect" card...

Smellyman

Reaction score
Oh no! What does Skip say?

Those two are the last respected journalists in the Business.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Typical East Coast blowhard.

Both Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless predicted the Broncos to beat the Seahawks last year in the Super Bowl. And their predictions were coached in almost exactly the same way. Smith doesn't know jack about football, and Bayless is just an idiot.

Who expects a similar apology after the Seahawks win it again?
[youtube]nYhd0rFVEU0[/youtube]

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1il8xwqp said:
He's not 100% wrong.

I'm not sure what he expects from Seahawks fans given that he so badly underestimated us against the Broncos in last year's Super Bowl . . . and now he's doing the same thing again, which is hysterical.

gulliver

Reaction score
To a degree, Seahawks fans brought it on themselves. True--last year nobody did believe in us, but this year we were favorites to return to the SB and a lot of "mediots" were even talking dynasty. Well, here we are, and yet the butthurt has only ratcheted up 10x. I soak up hours of NFL content every day, and the inability to turn off the "chip on the shoulder" complex even when the country finally believes in you has turned the entire NFL pundit 'industry' against us. Yes, I know 500 people say "I don't care" to that, but clearly we do or we wouldn't continually spend half our energy railing against the media and how they don't like us or believe in us.

What I see at the end of the 2014 season are people who believe(d) in us as a team, but who are now so turned off by the endless butthurt that they actually dislike us and want us to lose. It is a bummer, but now everyone's got a bone to pick with us about everything--we're not one of the best defenses ever, RW's post-NFCCG tears are fake, Doug Baldwin's nuts, Lynch is an immature weirdo, we don't have the horses to run with NE, and so on. I don't even think journos believe this--I just think some of 'us' behaved ourselves like such precious asses even in the wake of 43-8 that an entire industry turned against us, which in turn will validate the butthurt. Vicious cycle.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
gulliver":m4q25lkv said:
I soak up hours of NFL content every day, and the inability to turn off the "chip on the shoulder" complex even when the country finally believes in you has turned the entire NFL pundit 'industry' against us. . . .

What I see at the end of the 2014 season are people who believe(d) in us as a team, but who are now so turned off by the endless butthurt that they actually dislike us and want us to lose.

It's actually the exact opposite, once again. Most of the country, outside of the PNW, believes we will lose to the Patriots, just as they believed we would lose to the Broncos. Each time, the Seahawks have opened as favorites only to have the line shift to our opponent as the public pours on bets against us.

At the same time, most of the country seems to be rooting for the Seahawks to win, at least according to unscientific ESPN polling.

1LucgyD

BFAsVkL

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3v3x2yzn said:

Just to further break down this poll, outside of New England, these are the only states rooting against us by majority:

Louisiana (55-45 Patriots) -- I think two devastating playoff losses by the Saints against us explains this pretty well.

Michigan (55-45) -- Is this enthusiasm over former Seahawks-rival Jim Harbaugh signing to be the head coach of the Wolverines? Or is it about Doug Baldwin responding to the Harbaugh news by saying "Go Buckeyes"? I would guess it's a little of both. That and bitter Lions fans.

Wisconsin (53-47) -- The Fail Mary, Opening Day Massacre, and The Comeback have to have some Green Bay fans feeling pretty salty.

Minnesota (53-48), North Dakota (53-47), and South Dakota (51-49) -- Don't get this one. Why would the Vikings dislike us? We gave them three draft picks and took trouble off their hands. My theory: some of them are annoyed that Beast Mode is being considered the best running back in football.

Arizona (51-49) -- Division rival jealousy. They booed our players at the Pro Bowl. But there are also a ton of Seahawks fans with homes in the area.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":jpk4soic said:
Most of the country, outside of the PNW, believes we will lose to the Patriots, just as they believed we would lose to the Broncos. Each time, the Seahawks have opened as favorites only to have the line shift to our opponent as the public pours on bets against us.

Hard to blame most of the country if they haven't been exposed to many Hawks games. I would imagine a lot of those folks are just going off of what they saw recently, which was a Patriots team dominating their opponent and a Seahawks team shooting itself in the foot for 55 minutes before stringing together a miraculous series of plays that won them the game.

And even if these folks were more familiar with Seattle games, the type of game Seattle plays is so out of the ordinary now that it just doesn't look like what people expect from "contenders." The average NFL fan expects a dominating performance to look like 38-21 with lots of passing TDs. The 19-3 games just don't have the same impact on those fans.

I think that's why we were considered underdogs in SB48. Manning and the Broncos had the most prolific offense of all time, but all the advanced stats pointed to Seattle winning. This year, the advanced stats are more split on who will win, and even though New England plays a similar game to what Denver plays, I think they're a more well-rounded team. And maybe that's all that's needed to explain why lots of folks think they'll win.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
hawknation2015":173anlgw said:
Michigan (55-45) -- Is this enthusiasm over former Seahawks-rival Jim Harbaugh signing to be the head coach of the Wolverines? Or is it about Doug Baldwin responding to the Harbaugh news by saying "Go Buckeyes"? I would guess it's a little of both. That and bitter Lions fans.
You forgot the Brady connection to Michigan. That's more likely the reason.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":325p2rjk said:
hawknation2015":325p2rjk said:
You forgot the Brady connection to Michigan. That's more likely the reason.

Oh, right. That makes sense.

This might also explain some of Arizona's preference for New England, since Gronkowski played for the Wildcats.

Also, New England has a couple players (Ninkovich and Casillas) who had stints with the Saints . . . that might contribute to Louisiana's preference for the Patriots.