If you run the ball four straight times

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatarHol

Reaction score
If you run the ball four straight times and get stuffed, and your QB finishes with a 140 passer rating and the loss; and you do this because you are afraid of the chance of an interception which only occurs on 1% of plays in that situation...

You are a terrible coach

mistaowen

Reaction score
KatarHol":2idw9n39 said:
If you run the ball four straight times and get stuffed, and your QB finishes with a 140 passer rating and the loss; and you do this because you are afraid of the chance of an interception which only occurs on 1% of plays in that situation...

You are a terrible coach

I love how you keep bringing up %1 interception chance with nothing to back it up. And even if the chances of an interception are low it's because most teams who have the best RB in the NFL with an offensive line getting good push all game aren't passing in that situation. Coaching staff outsmarted themselves thinking they could burn more clock instead of just pounding the ball in with 20ish seconds left.

Tell me, is a slant to a special teams gunner in an already congested middle of the field a smart play call?

OP
OP
K

KatarHol

Reaction score
Was running three straight times in the redzone and settling for a fg a smart call? That is 4 points right there left on the board at the start of the second half.

themunn

Reaction score
The Cowboys got into that position so many times this year with Murray and that O-Line, but they split Dez out wide on his own and 90% of the time he had a size mismatch. That's exactly the pass play I'd have liked to have seen us do with Matthews. If Browner follows him out wide THEN we can run the pick play with our WR against one of their smaller corners. I still don't see anything wrong with the pass, I think it should have been better disguised though.

OP
OP
K

KatarHol

Reaction score
We were attacking a rookie fifth string cb with a qb who had a 140 passer rating at that time. I will take that every time. Every damn time.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Every play call can be looked at as great vs. bad due to execution.

Kearse drop on 3 & 2: Play call or execution? Would a run to Lynch been better there?

No gain on 3 & 1 prior to FG, play call or execution?

First possession of the game 3 & 2 Marshawn for no gain. Play call or execution?

and so on......

Jacknut16

Reaction score
KatarHol":3dbz07o6 said:
We were attacking a rookie fifth string cb with a qb who had a 140 passer rating at that time. I will take that every time. Every damn time.

And you lost every damn time.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
OP please site a link or something to he 1% you stated. Im surprised I would think it would be higher

timmat

Reaction score
In the potential 4 play sequence, a pass play or even two is OK. However, that particular pass play was very high risk when it didn't have to be. Play action to Beast then roll Russ is safer and offers more options. Regardless, I will always feel that the decision to throw on 2nd wasn't the worst call, but that particular play - even if converted - was a terrible risk.

camdawg

Reaction score
KatarHol":2we743si said:

Even if it relies on Jermaine Kearse to effectively block the most physical corner in football? Sorry, that's just willingly getting into a bad personnel matchup for the Seahawks to try to win the game.

There are spots on the field where you can exploit Malcolm Butler, same as BB. On the goal line, Belichick's not asking him to cover a ton of ground. As we saw, he's not so easy to exploit when he's only asked to carry out certain assignments against certain offensive groupings and formations.

If we face them again and run the play again...there's a very good chance it gets picked, again. For the same reasons it just happened on Sunday.

Hyak

Reaction score
I think any result that was unfavorable was going to bring out MMQB critics.

A big assumption is that a run would surely have worked. A run blitz could have resulted in a loss too, which totally changes the complexion of what you call on 3rd down.

I wish the pass play called was a different route that was to the flat or outside. Hindsight is 20/20 but a slant and go would have resulted in a wide open receiver.

marko358

Reaction score
KatarHol":2zwsc9vz said:

You are a terrible coach
I remember two situations this year where we threw a slant inside the 5 yard line. Both resulted in interceptions so stuff your 1% stat.

camdawg

Reaction score
KatarHol":2adji9gz said:
Was running three straight times in the redzone and settling for a fg a smart call? That is 4 points right there left on the board at the start of the second half.

That doesn't make it a bad play call.

Look, maybe the Pats stop Marshawn for no gain on 2nd and goal at the one. We have two more cracks at it, easily, if we don't care as much about running the clock as we did about scoring. Is it really likely they stuff him three plays in a row?

Hawkee

Reaction score
A play-action pass with a rollout and an option to run it in would have used up more time.

Boycie

Reaction score
KatarHol":2rc4gy9o said:

It's a little different when you only need one yard. Comparing the 1 yard line to the red zone doesn't work, and we would have ran 4 straight times not 3. We needed 1 yard! Why not bring in another lineman and use him as the full back, and let Lynch follow him to the end zone? We are a run first team, so why not either win or lose based on our identity?

Boycie

Reaction score
JTB":3axh9go1 said:
I think any result that was unfavorable was going to bring out MMQB critics.

A big assumption is that a run would surely have worked. A run blitz could have resulted in a loss too, which totally changes the complexion of what you call on 3rd down.

I wish the pass play called was a different route that was to the flat or outside. Hindsight is 20/20 but a slant and go would have resulted in a wide open receiver.

I do not have an issue with a pass call in that situation, although the timing wasn't right. We should have at least run the ball once more, then go to the pass.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
..if we run and fail. use the timeout, then pass and fail, or it's intercepted, then everyone be like...

WHY DIDN'T PETE PASS ON 2ND DOWN WHEN THEY WEREN'T SURE WE WOULD?!!!

You can't win this debate!!

mistaowen

Reaction score
tom sawyer":tfgdijf6 said:
..if we run and fail. use the timeout, then pass and fail, or it's intercepted, then everyone be like...

WHY DIDN'T PETE PASS ON 2ND DOWN WHEN THEY WEREN'T SURE WE WOULD?!!!

You can't win this debate!!

It's not the decision to pass, it's the play called. I still feel like we absolutely give Marshawn, the best player on offense, the ball to win the game. But there are MUCH better, safer passing plays to call in that situation than a slant to Lockette.

OP
OP
K

KatarHol

Reaction score
marko358":1bfh5i59 said:
KatarHol":1bfh5i59 said:

You are a terrible coach
I remember two situations this year where we threw a slant inside the 5 yard line. Both resulted in interceptions so stuff your 1% stat.
Um, no. You are mistaken

Daytomann

Reaction score
We run the ball on 2nd & 1 for the win in the final seconds of the world championship when the other team is demoralized and on their heals from just being smacked on the chin. That's the ONLY call for that situation anything else is over thinking. All stats and percentages go out the window in THAT situation. Our coaches had zero situational awareness and they overthought and got cute.
It was the wrong play to call. Period.
No one should remotely defend the play that was called. If you do, you are just as clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.