Lockette is likely gone.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Based on the management's backing of Bevell as well as expert's take on what went wrong.
Lockette the rockette did not go full throttle. Had it been Baldwin, Kearse even Lynch that play gets made.
You must FLASH on that route and at the very least shield it. Some fans are saying Wilson led him too much but rewatch it in real time and you see that play should have been run quicker. I dont know what Lockette was thinking but if he thought he's going to stroll into the endzone because Kearse is going to rub his man than Lockette is plain stupid. Don't think about anything else but getting to the spot.

Like everyone I'm working through the healing process. The wound appears to fester the more I see the play.
The main reason is we were so close but certain players were not made for the moment. Lockette is one of such guys. Anybody disagree?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I don't think anyone expected the safety to break on the ball as fast as he did. He read the play immediately and made a beeline straight for the ball. He surprised Russell and Lockette with how fast he closed the gap.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I have watched that play again, and I'll say this:

Yes, Lockette should've fought harder for that ball. Kearse also should've gotten off the line of scrimmage quicker and stronger. Both WRs half assed their routes. People say Wilson threw a bad throw, but really, it wasn't that bad. Sure, he could've hit Lockette dead center, but this is a Bang! Bang! play and Wilson is trying not to throw the ball behind Lockette.

Pete said they were running this play to waste a play. To be honest, it looked like both WRs knew that, and acted like it was a play destined not to go anywhere. The only person on that play that was giving 100% was the Patriots defender.

I'll still blame the play call. It stunk and the players knew it.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Not sure I'd say he's gone, but he definitely is still a work in progress as a receiver. All the tools, but something still not there.

marko358

Reaction score
I doubt he's gone. He's one of the best special teams gunners in the league. He may have less of a role on offense though.

I also don't feel he did anything wrong on the play. He doesn't have eyes behind his head and was hit a split second before the ball got there, causing his hands to be ever so slightly out of position. Kudos to the Pats for knowing our simplistic playbook and tendencies.

OP
OP
R

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2qr2d7f4 said:
I don't think anyone expected the safety to break on the ball as fast as he did. He read the play immediately and made a beeline straight for the ball. He surprised Russell and Lockette with how fast he closed the gap.
Yes but there was a moment when Butler hesitated as you see Kearse engage Browner. Butler closed the gap quickly because he went full throttle while Lockette didn't even break fast enough to the spot with all the advantages he had.
Compare that play to the similar one run by Lynch and the difference is clear.

OP
OP
R

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Hawks46":2q5mkwrx said:

Yes, Lockette should've fought harder for that ball. Kearse also should've gotten off the line of scrimmage quicker and stronger. Both WRs half assed their routes. People say Wilson threw a bad throw, but really, it wasn't that bad. Sure, he could've hit Lockette dead center, but this is a Bang! Bang! play and Wilson is trying not to throw the ball behind Lockette.

Pete said they were running this play to waste a play. To be honest, it looked like both WRs knew that, and acted like it was a play destined not to go anywhere. The only person on that play that was giving 100% was the Patriots defender.

True.

Daytomann

Reaction score
It was the wrong play...lockette, Kearse Baldwin lynch Dez Bryant Calvin Johnson Steve largent doesn't matter. You run it with lynch.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
marko358":1hpkxr95 said:
I doubt he's gone. He's one of the best special teams gunners in the league. He may have less of a role on offense though.

I also don't feel he did anything wrong on the play. He doesn't have eyes behind his head and was hit a split second before the ball got there, causing his hands to be ever so slightly out of position. Kudos to the Pats for knowing our simplistic playbook and tendencies.

This.

OP
OP
R

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
marko358":22y68pev said:

He's a good gunner who hasn't made a special teams play in how many games now? Occupying time on offense taking away reps from Mathews and Norwood? I just don't feel him at all..

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lobohawk":g5z1f9eq said:
Not sure I'd say he's gone, but he definitely is still a work in progress as a receiver. All the tools, but something still not there.

He's 28 years old now. The same thing that wasn't there in the Super Bowl also wasn't there when the Seahawks cut him, and when the 9ers cut him.

He is who he is, IMO.

As for blaming the play on Lockette, nah. It was a great, great, defensive play. People can blame the playcall or blame Lockette or -- gasp -- blame Wilson, but at the end of the day Butler made a really exceptional defensive play. That's the story, IMO.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It is what it is....the Pats defender made a very good play. 1 yard slant is a terrible call. Call a pass play but not a slant on a crowded short field. Even if it was executed properly, it wouldn't have resulted in a score and time would be ticking off the clock. They could have ran the ball and had a better chance. If they wanted to pass it badly, Wilson should have pumped fake to Kearse and then found Lockette. The pump fake probably would have fooled Butler or at least slowed him down some. The best option is to give it to Lynch or do a screen pass to Lynch and let him walk it in.

marko358

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1otxzqsj said:
It is what it is....the Pats defender made a very good play. 1 yard slant is a terrible call. Call a pass play but not a slant on a crowded short field. Even if it was executed properly, it wouldn't have resulted in a score and time would be ticking off the clock. They could have ran the ball and had a better chance. If they wanted to pass it badly, Wilson should have pumped fake to Kearse and then found Lockette. The pump fake probably would have fooled Butler or at least slowed him down some. The best option is to give it to Lynch or do a screen pass to Lynch and let him walk it in.

If they have 50 pass plays in their playbook, I would rank that slant as the 50th best pass option in that scenario.

Bloodrunsblue

Reaction score
Hawks46":3u77s4nv said:

Kearse also should've gotten off the line of scrimmage quicker and stronger. Both WRs half assed their routes.

This.

Kearse need to engage the defender far more aggressively to cut off the safeties path to Lockette. Lockette was tentative and unprepared for contact.

Even if you don't agree with a called play, you are still expected to execute.

marko358

Reaction score
Bloodrunsblue":1ritodj8 said:
Hawks46":1ritodj8 said:

Kearse also should've gotten off the line of scrimmage quicker and stronger. Both WRs half assed their routes.

This.

Kearse need to engage the defender far more aggressively to cut off the safeties path to Lockette. Lockette was tentative and unprepared for contact.

Kearse was expected to knock back the most physical CB in the NFL? Please. Awfully designed playcall that was destined to fail.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
marko358":2chmgn9e said:
If they have 50 pass plays in their playbook, I would rank that slant as the 50th best pass option in that scenario.

Recall that it was a slant that schematically had worked and was open, against a rookie UFA who was at the very end of the Patriots depth chart and who may never record another interception again.

Give Butler some credit. He'll never make a play like that again.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2my76v16 said:
marko358":2my76v16 said:

Recall that it was a slant that schematically had worked and was open, against a rookie UFA who was at the very end of the Patriots depth chart and who may never record another interception again.

Give Butler some credit. He'll never make a play like that again.

It's the Pats' bread and butter in the red zone, but it's never worked for us this season.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Bloodrunsblue":2uioumpx said:
Hawks46":2uioumpx said:

This.

If he engaged the defender more aggressively he would have correctly been called for offensive pass interference and the Hawks would have been facing 2nd down from the 11 yard line rather than the 1 yard line with less than 20 seconds left.

If he had played it more aggressively Hawks fans would be calling for Kearse's head rather than Bevell's head.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hawks46":2j3rnsua said:

Wasting a play is the stupidest logic I have ever heard, and goes completely against his always compete mantra. I truly don't understand what Pete was thinking here.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
It was the wrong call, end of story. Run it with Marshawn and we dont have to worry about Lockette's execution on a piss-poor play call