Idea of Seahawks making a big addition this offseason

Hyak

Reaction score
It won't shock me to see them make a splash so to speak for a variety of reasons - more draft picks than roster spots, being in the window of being a perennial SB contender, etc.

Here's another reason: What better way to help the team and fan base move on from the SB ending than to make an add to get back to the mountain top. Yes I know extending their own guys is vital as well but that's to sustain. A big move like Harvin in 2013 was to swing for the fences.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
JTB":1qiv9gx3 said:
It won't shock me to see them make a splash so to speak for a variety of reasons - more draft picks than roster spots, being in the window of being a perennial SB contender, etc.

Here's another reason: What better way to help the team and fan base move on from the SB ending than to make an add to get back to the mountain top. Yes I know extending their own guys is vital as well but that's to sustain. A big move like Harvin in 2013 was to swing for the fences.

Getting a big name like Harvin was possible two years ago because they had drafted so well and had so many key players working for minimal dollars on their rookie contracts. Completely different scenario here. If you want to keep Maxwell he's gonna want big dollars (and understandably so). If you want to re-sign Wagner and Wilson that's going to take huge dollars. You can't go out now and spend big money to bring in big time free agents unless you're willing to pay the price and lose key pieces you've already had here. I doubt this front office will do so.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
If you look how Schneider has structured the extensions of core guys, the first year cap number does not spike up. Year 2 is where the big money seems to start.

Given that, it's not far fetched to see them continue to structure deals that way.

I'm not saying they will or won't make a splash addition but it absolutely won't shock me.

jake206

Reaction score
With Wagner, Wilson and Lynch due up at end of next season, I doubt it.

Boycie

Reaction score
JTB":6amfwx12 said:

We may be cutting some existing players to make room for the rookies, or we may use some pics to move up in the draft.

Mick063

Reaction score
"Win forever" doesn't include mortgaging the future.

Develop players and keep the salary structure under control.

The only time you should look at the short window is when you have a 35+ year old franchise QB that you are trying to squeeze a couple more years out of.

swagcity21

Reaction score
I think the FO is done with splashy off season signings. case and point Percy. But what they have been successful doing is getting the mid level FA's and turning them into or back into stars. I.E Avril, Bennett.

And with the success and idea that we are super bowl contenders every year I can see a lot talented guys taking a pay cut to get a chance at the ring....Either way its a plus for our organization and treat for us fans to watch these come here and sell out for a title.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
I don't see them mortgaging the future either but they also need to address some areas of need that maybe don't rely on immediate rookie contributions.

I do think that players do want to come here and that helps.

Tical21

Reaction score
They just went shopping and landed two big additions, Cliff Avril and KJ Wright. They've got 24 million in cap room, which if they are lucky will cover Wilson and Wagner. Every single dime they spend in free agency will need to be cut from their current roster. They've already done their shopping and spent all their allowance. The NFL has a hard cap. You aren't allowed to go over it.

Latest posts