Seahawks Lockette......?

HawksRawk

Reaction score
Sorry, to rehash ......to make my first assumption on that last fatal play in defeat in XLIV......regardless of my my own opinion and those of many others that Marshawn should have gotten the ball. Locket knew he was getting the bal before the play ever started.......And really he wasn't strong enough coming off the line or at least turning his body to get in front of the ball to make the play or deflect it.......Again not the right call but Lockette should have done everything possible to not allow an interception, getting a hand out for a deflection or something instead of giving up with a flop on his back. Please, not buying it! Lockette sucks! Experienced or not? Geezus you play in the NFL, you're on the goal line to win it all in the biggest game ever, the Superbowl for Christ sake!

OP
OP
H

HawksRawk

Reaction score
And by the way.......I know first post!!!!..........Long time follower here, like to read but not post....Also long time Seahawks fan since '76 and had season tickets with my dad from '77 into the eightys and nineties. There you go, sorry for the informal introduction!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawksRawk":1rxkxd35 said:
Sorry, to rehash ......to make my first assumption on that last fatal play in defeat in XLIV......regardless of my my own opinion and those of many others that Marshawn should have gotten the ball. Locket knew he was getting the bal before the play ever started.......And really he wasn't strong enough coming off the line or at least turning his body to get in front of the ball to make the play or deflect it.......Again not the right call but Lockette should have done everything possible to not allow an interception, getting a hand out for a deflection or something instead of giving up with a flop on his back. Please, not buying it! Lockette sucks! Experienced or not? Geezus you play in the NFL, you're on the goal line to win it all in the biggest game ever, the Superbowl for Christ sake!
Bevell is that you????

No excuse for that crap play call. You don't throw a quick pass in traffic at the goalline to your 5th receiver, and even if it was caught Lockette's momentum might have carried him out to the half yard line anyhow.

Lynch should have gotten the ball period! No excuses, spin, or revisionist history will change the fact it was a horrible play call!

OP
OP
H

HawksRawk

Reaction score
Haha, not Bevell at all !!!! ......... Like I said Marshawn should have gotten the ball but he didn't ..... Lockette in his inept ability to make it happen and didn't .......shouldn't have been anywhere close to the ball!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I guess I'm sorta following what you are trying to say. If we are evaluating Lockette only, he 'knew what was coming and sucks' does very little to describe what he did wrong. On a slant, it's all about attacking the ball; about being the first one to the the rock. Lockette looked like he was waiting for the ball and also looked tentative in catching when the play screams for aggressive execution.

OP
OP
H

HawksRawk

Reaction score
Exactly Peppa , if you knew the ball was suppose to come your way , wouldn't you do everything to be position to attack or at least hold be able to hold your ground.

Seafan

Reaction score
It wasn't the greatest call or the best pass either. Most of RWs interceptions are in the middle. He lacks touch on the short pass and he was way out in front of the receiver inviting Butler to take it away. Poor call, poor execution.

toochain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1lvxmwz9 said:
Bevell is that you????

No excuse for that crap play call. You don't throw a quick pass in traffic at the goalline to your 5th receiver, and even if it was caught Lockette's momentum might have carried him out to the half yard line anyhow.

Lynch should have gotten the ball period! No excuses, spin, or revisionist history will change the fact it was a horrible play call!

This. If you don't want to run into the heart of the goal line defense, then why would you throw into it? Seems even more risky to me.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Much like Alex bannister in the "we want the ball and were going to score" game, he's a great special teams player forced into more of a wr role then he should have, and it cost us huge.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
toochain":vx9kiehq said:
Sports Hernia":vx9kiehq said:
Bevell is that you????

This. If you don't want to run into the heart of the goal line defense, then why would you throw into it? Seems even more risky to me.
That's been my contention, IF you THROW, the ball it's up for grabs, and it can wind up in the wrong hands, and that's exactly what happened, AND to throw it in a compressed area, you are borrowing trouble.
The ball has to be perfectly thrown in a play like that, and as much as I love the guy, Russ made a mistake, and it cost him dearly.
Marshawn would have been the most logical choice for that TD try.
What gets me the most?, almost everyone including football guru's were saying the same thing.
I think this is going to be on the minds of our players for a long time to come, as this kind of mistake will have players questioning the play call choices that Bevell is going to be making from here on out.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
"Lockette sucks" ?

He's far from elite but the point is we shouldn't even be speaking his name in regard. We should be speaking of any number of red-zone TRULY safe pass plays (read option, play-action. Or, QB keep, or the most obvious, Lynch). You cannot skirt it and then B-line it to a Kearse block and a Lockette on a STUPID pass play such as this.

And ya know who else is just as much (if not more) at fault? Wilson. His throw was high and leading far too much FOR SUCH A PLAY OVER THE MIDDLE. I don't feel for a moment that he trusted it...all the way through the follow-through. And before we even reached the point, he should have known well enough to pull out of such a pass play in the first place. But who cares about that, right? No,make your sole target "Lockette" (or the other stand-by, that Butler The Rookie turned into superman and single-handedly STOPPED A BRILLIANT PASS PLAYCALL. No, ...no. The pass play should've never been).

I just listened to Millen's whine-rant ("leave Bevell and Pete alone!"). It's been less than a week from the incident, fans and analysts will subside (to a degree. Yes, it was that bad)...but give it a rest! A pass play such as this deserves to be etched in stone imo. I completely understand the reasoning as for why they went with a pass play, but the ultimate issue here is THE pass play called. It was shear idiocy, especially after such a march down and the win within grasp at a 1-yrd line in a superbowl knowing Lynch was getting positive yards all day. Shear idiocy. THAT is why everyone and their grandmother have aptly named it "the worst play-call in a superbowl". I think it's best to recognize it and move on.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I was wondering if Lockette might have hesitated waiting for Kearse to make the pick?

Ranker777

Reaction score
I keep hearing that The Seahawks put their players in positions to suceed. This was clearly not the case here.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I looked at the play 2 times, no point in looking at it more. It was a crap call but the play was open.

It wasn't a perfect throw and there wasn't the aggressive receiver to get it. Butler knocked Lockette out of the play on the way to the ball. I just don't think it ever should have came down to that.

Whatever. Already on to next season, this team isn't going anywhere.

seahawks08

Reaction score
you can say bad call, bad throw, bad receiving effort. We had so much time in our hand to call a play, that was the most important drive and play, if it was not intercepted, or dropped, or anything that does not change possession we would have still had a chance. My point is it is the final drive, final play, do something that is creative and players who are experienced. We have expertise more on slow developing plays, guaranteed plays.. that was definitely not one of them. Argh.... sigh...man I don't want to think about it, and we go over it again and again here.. I stopped following NFL and ESPN, my only solace is this place..

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Seafan":1yk2r71b said:
It wasn't the greatest call or the best pass either. Most of RWs interceptions are in the middle. He lacks touch on the short pass and he was way out in front of the receiver inviting Butler to take it away. Poor call, poor execution.

Yup. Except that I might go further and say... poor call, worse execution.

I have tried to listen objectively. I love Pete Carroll, but he and anyone else responsible for the play call absolutely blew it. I love what PC says in terms of maintaining poise in the face of adversity (and this is about as bad as it gets in the sports world.) Still, none of the excuses, stats, anything... explains what we all just witnessed and what Marshawn Lynch had to just stand there and watch it get pissed away with the rest of us.

I just let myself watch some of that game and the Hawks had the momentum and could have played it MUCH safer with another excellent call. There's got to be OTHER excellent calls to make in that situation. NOT a stupid high risk whatever pass play from inside the 1 yard line. I have a hard time believing it was the BEST call option.

I love the team - coaches, players, fans. Root for them and together as part of special fanbase. We also have to take their mistakes along with the execution. I think Pete has taken the high road for his staff and for his players. But, he's sorta left us fans to take a bunch of avoidable smack. The Patriots went from about to have their (bleep) handed to them... to talking like they took it to the Hawks. smh. Unbelievable. I still can't believe it.

I would be more impressed with Pete if he would come out and apologize to the fans for the mis-handling of the end of one of the most important sports moments in the history of Seattle sports. Maybe he already has and I just missed it. It wouldn't surprise me because it seems like whatever Pete can do to make something right in his power... he will. I just would appreciate if he would give some credence to how the fans are feeling about not running Marshawn. By defending the play call, he protects those directly involved but sorta leaves those more indirectly involved (us fans) hanging... and it's painful for us as well. I don't think he fails to recognize that, but he should just come out and say it was a monumental cockup. [youtube]r_sojwiRQaA[/youtube]

Just when I thought I was doing well and moving on... another rude lowlife smears it in my face today. It's a new reality to live with. There's nothing we can say as fans. We can't say it was a bad play call. Sounds like sour grapes. Can't say they had the right call (while biting our tongue) to try to take the high road. Then, it's about how the other team won the game. Yes, they did. (cough, cough) But, all things considered and in the final analysis... sure feels like the greatest missed opportunity in the history of the Super Bowl that could've, would've, and very likely should have turned out in the favor of the Seattle Seahawks. Take nothing away from the Patriots. But, they shouldn't have even had the opportunity to make a big play.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Kearse didn't get off the jam. Lockette assumed (wrongly) he would be able to and didn't anticipate Butler. Bad catching technique by Lockette anyway trying to scoop it instead of pluck it.

Bad execution all round -- but you do that play 100 times and maybe 95 times it's a TD the way they lined up.