Seahawks cap space - The future

titan3131

Reaction score
I just happened to look at over the cap. And I didnt know that we have $7.2 million in dead money attributed to Harvin this year.

Next year as of know we have 98 million tied up next year and with cap increase we should have at least 50 mil left.

Resign russell, and Im just spitballin but im going to guess 17 mil for 6 years with 120 guaranteed.

Bobby Wagner 5-6 years 9 mil average.

That leaves us with about 26 million left.

So with that in mind I cant see us spending more then 8 mill this year in FA. Especially with whats available there just isnt anything left that has the alure + the effect that a high profile FA can bring. If Andre johnson doesnt come here I only want a leo or DT for depth and rotation. We may have to move on from mebane very soon due to his age but im hoping he can play @ a high level for a few more years.

The draft will defiantly show us alot of what this FO is planning. And our continued success is predicated on this draft. We have to hit on some diamonds in the rough. we cannot have a subpar draft like last year, as fans if we are honest the past 2 drafts have been blips on the radar as far as on the field effect vs 2012.

Everyone in the nfl world has a front row seat to the implosion @ santa clara.

And field gull had a great article months ago http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/12/15/74 ... -the-49ers

The stat that makes a championship offseason essential is this:
"No Super Bowl loser has returned within three years since the Bills infamously lost four straight in the early 90s. None have returned and won since the 72 undefeated Dolphins."

If we want continued success we have to exceed expectations and grow youth and polish diamonds.

Hawks46

Reaction score
A few things:

First off, that Field Gulls article is also saying we're screwed as well, since we just lost a SB.

Next, your math seems to be off. 17 mil/year for 6 years (which is what I assume you're saying) is less than 120 million guaranteed, so you're suggesting we guarantee more money than is in the contract.

As for the rest of it, I like where we're going on cap space, but you haven't stated any other FA's that we would need to sign outside of Wilson and Wagner.

Your basic premise of us being able to do something in FA is actually pretty solid though. Either this year or next year. The draft seems soft at the bottom of the 1st round this year, so we might try to make an impact FA signing.

Also, we don't need to hit "diamonds in the rough" all the time; you can't count on making All Pro's out of 4th and 5th rounders consistently. We need to start hitting on our first couple of draft picks more consistently to be honest. Other than Britt and Irvin, we'd have to go all the way back to Thomas and Okung to find any sort of impact we've gotten from the 1st round.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Also, we don't need to hit "diamonds in the rough" all the time; you can't count on making All Pro's out of 4th and 5th rounders consistently. We need to start hitting on our first couple of draft picks more consistently to be honest. Other than Britt and Irvin, we'd have to go all the way back to Thomas and Okung to find any sort of impact we've gotten from the 1st round.
This. Quit taking reaches in the 1st round and actually draft somebody that is expected to start game one in their first year. As it was it was criminal that we didn't get better at wide receiver last year given the quality of that class.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Before Free Agency and not adding anyone else to the roster, I had estimated the cap space to be...

2015: 25m
2016: 64m
2017: 99m
2018: 110m

In 2018, only Earl, Sherman, Avril, and Wright are under contract. I don't think Avril or Wright see the last years of thier contracts which means another 14-15m in cap relief.

Seahawks are in a great spot 2016, people don't think they can't continue to extend players... They'll likely to be able to if they want to, to extend all of Russ, Wagner, Irvin, Sweezy and possibly Okung.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":168odaer said:
This. Quit taking reaches in the 1st round and actually draft somebody that is expected to start game one in their first year. As it was it was criminal that we didn't get better at wide receiver last year given the quality of that class.

All of this.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
Hawks46":2irnmoi0 said:
A few things:

First off, that Field Gulls article is also saying we're screwed as well, since we just lost a SB.

Next, your math seems to be off. 17 mil/year for 6 years (which is what I assume you're saying) is less than 120 million guaranteed, so you're suggesting we guarantee more money than is in the contract.

As for the rest of it, I like where we're going on cap space, but you haven't stated any other FA's that we would need to sign outside of Wilson and Wagner.

Your basic premise of us being able to do something in FA is actually pretty solid though. Either this year or next year. The draft seems soft at the bottom of the 1st round this year, so we might try to make an impact FA signing.

I was assuming it was an extension. I might have typed it wrong but I was proposing 2015-2021 6 years added to his current contract with an average of 17 mil per year cap hit for 7 total years.

I have ideas with free agents but I dont see us doing anything unless we can get a bargain. That's not what I want but thats what I am projecting.

most realistic move: prove it deal with option on henry melton.

themunn

Reaction score
Hawks46":3syw835z said:

Given that we didn't have a 1st round pick in 2013 due to the Harvin trade, and we traded down in 2014 to pick up Richardson and Marsh (since we didn't have any picks between 64 and 132 prior to making more trades), what you really mean is "we really should have hit instead of drafting James Carpenter all the way back in 2011".