Wilson's contract speculation

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
I watched my ESPN app and they speculated 15 mil a year for 6 or 7 years all guaranteed. That would be about 10% of our cap for this year and decrease the next 6 or 7. This doesn't sound crippling at all. And could change how QB contracts are done.
They did also say that it had to have certain circumstances. Such as an owner with deep pockets.
Thank god for PA!

Edit by Pmedic for link.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/video?vid= ... i_internal

rideaducati

Reaction score
Tempest_Crow":2k8mfy0x said:
I watched my ESPN app and they speculated 15 mil a year for 6 or 7 years all guaranteed. That would be about 10% of our cap for this year and decrease the next 6 or 7. This doesn't sound crippling at all. And could change how QB contracts are done.
They did also say that it had to have certain circumstances. Such as an owner with deep pockets.
Thank god for PA!

He "should" be signing an extension, which will minimize the cap hit to THIS year. $15 million per year for an elite QB is very good for the Seahawks when you consider other teams are paying over $20 million per year for their QB.

OP
OP
Tempest_Crow

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
And I hope his agent told John/Pete/Paul that if you don't want to throw away 100 plus mil the draft this year should be full of 6'3" 325lb rookies that play offense.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's early yet, and the team wants to see who else will pop loose or whether the agents of several players they are interested in finally comet their senses on what the market is for their guy.

My bet is both these players (RW & Wags) get done this year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I wonder if they signed him to 7 year extension across for 8 years if they plan to stack signing bonuses via roster bonuses.

Give Russ a 10m signing bonus this year, he counts 3-4m against the cap, only takes 2m against the current cap. It puts 10m in his pocket.

Next year convert a 15 m roster bonus into signing bonus. Play him on 5m guaranteed salary, he makes 20m in 2016. But only counts 10m against the cap.

Year 3 convert another 15m into roster bonus into signing bonus with another 5m base guaranteed. He makes another 20m in 2017 but costs only 13m against the cap.

Yr 4 give him 25m SB with a 5m base, he makes 30m but costs 18m against the cap.

15: 2 signing bonus = 3 to 4m cap hit
16: 2, 3 + 5m base = 10m cap hit
17: 2, 3, 3 + 5m bgtd = 13m cap hit
18: 2, 3, 3, 5 + 5m bgtd = 18m cap hit
19: 2, 3, 3, 5 + 12m gtd = 25m cap hit
20: 3, 3, 5 + 14m gtd = 25m cap hit
21: 3, 5 + 12m gtd = 20 m cap hit
22: 5 + 13m gtd = 18m cap hit

If Math is correct he makes 120 over 8 years = 15m apy.

But he will be getting SB of 10, 15, 15, and 25 = 65m + base salaries of 5, 5, 5 in those first 4 years equals to 20 apy.

And the last 4 Years you could definitely put in roster bonuses in his gtd salary mix for instance if you cut him in 2020: Seahawks take 24m dead cap charge if he's not performing. Or you could choose to split hits of 11 and 13 across 2 years.

In 2021: it's only a 13 mil dead cap charge. Or you could choose to split cap hits of 8 and 5 across two years.

Hawks46

Reaction score
If you fully guaranteed his contract, what good would it be to convert all the bonuses to roster bonuses, etc. ? If the money is guaranteed, then it is a cap hit, yes ? Maybe I'm not thinking it too deeply here, but I would assume if Wilson makes 15 mil in a year, and it's all guaranteed, then we have 15 mil cap hit (bonus shuffling aside).

Guaranteeing a contract for a lower amount is brilliant. It's pretty rare that a QB doesn't get all his contract money anyways, if he's a franchise guy. And you're never going to cut a good QB, so typically they see all their money. I guess it could make a difference in later years if you want to restructure a guy, but 15 mil/year is going to be peanuts for a QB in 5 years.

Hachtung

Reaction score
About those deep pockets.., one of the things I heard and I believe it was on Brock and Salk, the total amount of the guarantee had to be placed in an escrow account assuring the player will get it. In the case of 15 million for say 7 years that is 105 million that Mr. Allen would have to deposit. That can separate some owners out there.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hachtung":cacskzva said:
About those deep pockets.., one of the things I heard and I believe it was on Brock and Salk, the total amount of the guarantee had to be placed in an escrow account assuring the player will get it. In the case of 15 million for say 7 years that is 105 million that Mr. Allen would have to deposit. That can separate some owners out there.

Allen can do a lot of things for the Seahawks, but payment into an account is still a payment to someone, Allen's money does not create cap room or flexibility, it creates a lot of perks, facilities etc. The Raiders have the same cap room we do, they have to invest that money to win, same us, it's how smart the front office is that gets things done, luring perspective free agents here is what Allen's money helps with when you have state of the art equipment, staff, and fields, as well as the flying people in on private jets. That makes an impression. The Raiders have the worst facilities by comments from players in the league.

TAB420

Reaction score
But what's being said is that to be able to offer a guaranteed contract, the owner has to have that money up front. Some owners may not have that much in available funds. This could give us a huge advantage when it comes to contracts and the salary cap. So in this case PA deep pockets could help the team out greatly.

chris98251

Reaction score
TAB420":1g81pttu said:
But what's being said is that to be able to offer a guaranteed contract, the owner has to have that money up front. Some owners may not have that much in available funds. This could give us a huge advantage when it comes to contracts and the salary cap. So in this case PA deep pockets could help the team out greatly.

If they are saying that any owner can put money in escrow against the contract then yes, your banking money and calling it the Wilson account and just letting it work for you and the team and then dump a portion into his account every season. Seahawks, Cowboys, and a few others would do well, Raiders, Bengals, two teams off the top of my head would be at a severe disadvantage. Also the Packers being public owned would have no way to do that unless they created a fund that needed to be approved by share holders or managing officer.

TAB420

Reaction score
Yes, on a guaranteed contract that money has to be but into a fund and the yearly pay is subtracted from that account. If something happened to the owner of franchise, that players money is safe. It's a perk we get having a owner worth 17.5 billion.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hawks46":3ulqruyp said:
If you fully guaranteed his contract, what good would it be to convert all the bonuses to roster bonuses, etc. ? If the money is guaranteed, then it is a cap hit, yes ? Maybe I'm not thinking it too deeply here, but I would assume if Wilson makes 15 mil in a year, and it's all guaranteed, then we have 15 mil cap hit (bonus shuffling aside).

Guaranteeing a contract for a lower amount is brilliant. It's pretty rare that a QB doesn't get all his contract money anyways, if he's a franchise guy. And you're never going to cut a good QB, so typically they see all their money. I guess it could make a difference in later years if you want to restructure a guy, but 15 mil/year is going to be peanuts for a QB in 5 years.

Because the model above shows him only taking $45m in cap hits across 4 years (11.25m avg) but still making 80m altogether (20m avg).
X
Lower cap hits the first 4 years means you can still fill holes with free agents and/or resign a guy or two you possibly wouldn't have had the resources to do. And right now the championship window is at it's greatest... So it would work for both sides.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Just a guess by spotrac,

[tweet]https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/579439320383254529[/tweet]

Tical21

Reaction score
Again, it makes zero sense for Russell to take a reduced rate that is guaranteed. Guaranteed money protects you against getting cut. The chances of Russell Wilson getting cut in the next six years is zero. Zero. If the offer is 5 years, 100 million, with 50+ guaranteed, he is still going to see 100 million. Guaranteed money means zero. Zero. There is zero chance he gets cut within the years of that contract. Agreed? Why on earth would he take a contract that pays him 40 million less. Just for guaranteed money that he is going to get anyways?

Why would Russell take a 10 million signing bonus instead of the 30-60 that every other franchise QB takes. He wants to get that money invested. He would be costing himself millions in interest alone by doing so. Is he that stupid?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
10 year 200 Mil all guaranteed.

Totally worth it if he can bring us 2 more super bowls.

Perrin

Reaction score
Tical21":2sxvlykm said:
Again, it makes zero sense for Russell to take a reduced rate that is guaranteed. Guaranteed money protects you against getting cut. The chances of Russell Wilson getting cut in the next six years is zero. Zero. If the offer is 5 years, 100 million, with 50+ guaranteed, he is still going to see 100 million. Guaranteed money means zero. Zero. There is zero chance he gets cut within the years of that contract. Agreed? Why on earth would he take a contract that pays him 40 million less. Just for guaranteed money that he is going to get anyways?

Why would Russell take a 10 million signing bonus instead of the 30-60 that every other franchise QB takes. He wants to get that money invested. He would be costing himself millions in interest alone by doing so. Is he that stupid?

You're ignoring the injury factor. He wouldn't be guaranteed to get 100 million if he (knock on wood) suffered a career ending injury.

Exittium

Reaction score
Paul Allen buys Wilson a baseball team or half ownership the hawks.. And a 10 yr contract.. Lol idk off season has been pretty boring