Gregory vs. Clark

vonstout

Reaction score
I had a feeling during the draft that we would have taken Randy Gregory if he was there during our pick. Dallas jumped up and took him 3 spots before we took Clark. Dallas got a little heat for taking him, but he was considered a top 5 talent, so it hasn't been a big issue. Should we have tried to move up and take him instead of Clark? Per the trade tables, it would have cost us our early 6th rounder that we got for Harvin. It might have made the trade to move up for Lockett a little harder, but I would have preferred to go that rout. Thoughts?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
IMO, absolutely not. Clark certainly has a 'past,' but Gregory has both mental and drug issues as well, and actually requested a round-the-clock 'accountability partner' (chaperone) from the team that drafted him. Additionally, I'm not sure he'll ever be able to maintain enough weight to be effective playing with his hand on the ground (namely vs. the run) in the NFL. I think he's best suited to being an upfield 3-4 OLB a la what the Steelers do. I don't think he would have been a great scheme fit here (at least not in the base D), whereas Clark has legitimate every-down potential as a Leo DE.

aawolf

Reaction score
vonstout":3l5gqf46 said:
I had a feeling during the draft that we would have taken Randy Gregory if he was there during our pick. Dallas jumped up and took him 3 spots before we took Clark. Dallas got a little heat for taking him, but he was considered a top 5 talent, so it hasn't been a big issue. Should we have tried to move up and take him instead of Clark? Per the trade tables, it would have cost us our early 6th rounder that we got for Harvin. It might have made the trade to move up for Lockett a little harder, but I would have preferred to go that rout. Thoughts?

I'll let you know in two years.

kearly

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1jpkws0y said:
And the Cowpokes just signed Collins as well.

I guess Greg Hardy was just a warm up act for them.

titan3131

Reaction score
All it takes is one Romo SMASHING and all of this will be wasted on the voyage to 8 - 8!

I predict that history repeats itself and the new redskins Blast the crap out of romo.

/popcorn :snack:

Hawks46

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":4o1w2chs said:
IMO, absolutely not. Clark certainly has a 'past,' but Gregory has both mental and drug issues as well, and actually requested a round-the-clock 'accountability partner' (chaperone) from the team that drafted him. Additionally, I'm not sure he'll ever be able to maintain enough weight to be effective playing with his hand on the ground (namely vs. the run) in the NFL. I think he's best suited to being an upfield 3-4 OLB a la what the Steelers do. I don't think he would have been a great scheme fit here (at least not in the base D), whereas Clark has legitimate every-down potential as a Leo DE.

This. He said he could get over 235 lbs, but at the combine he was actually lighter. Coupled with the off field drug stuff and questions of his motivation, many teams are thinking he either can't gain the weight, or just doesn't have the drive to work hard enough to gain it. We don't need to trade up to draft another LBer that would be playing out of position.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
I can't imagine Gregory even being on our board. Pete and John have both stated that they are looking for guys that have the mental strength, the will to always compete, etc. Gregory is lacking that, and was probably not even on our board prior to the draft.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Timmahawk":2uywic1a said:
I can't imagine Gregory even being on our board. Pete and John have both stated that they are looking for guys that have the mental strength, the will to always compete, etc. Gregory is lacking that, and was probably not even on our board prior to the draft.

Schneider has even publicly said that he needs to draft guys that are strong mentally, just to survive our locker room.

They know it's a crucible the way Pete runs it. They like it that way. Guys like Gregory won't make it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Gregory is going to be useless. The guy doesn't WANT it. You can see it in his eyes.

penihawk

Reaction score
I think that is bloodshot from smokin weed that you saw in his eyes but agree we should be glad we didn't touch that guy.

crosfam

Reaction score
I think we had Clark down as the goal for that pick all along. We seem to line up who we want and go get them. With Marpet gone in the first, I doubt we ever really intended to get him.

While watching, I was kind of hoping we'd get Gregory, but I have a feeling Clark will turn out better.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I never wanted Gregory.

The cautionary tale for tall, light, athletic, and weedy just got suspended for a year in Miami. There is nothing to suggest Gregory is any different.