Perhaps People weren't aware of this fact

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Our starters were only in 2 series. Their oline starters were in for 4 series........

1st series Strip sack and fumble.
2nd series Turbin had a huge hole if he had gone between the tight end and Tackle for the TD. Yes the Bronco d end got penetration but he went through the 4 hole leaving the 6 wide open which Tom Cable alluded to. Denver had their entire starting offensive line in the game until the last series before half time except vasquez who came out after the 2nd series. If their 1st string oline was stuffed by our 2nd's, then there would have been something seriously wrong. Really our 1st string d minus the legion of book gave up 3 points on a very long FG.
They left most of their starters in on D as well.

Britt had one bad play but after that he was pretty solid.
Bailey was bad and that is why they are making the change.
Lemuel was ok but serviceable.
Okung was solid.
Sweezy was beaten one time on a pass rush.

Milton was bad
Nowak engages his blocks but doesn't always get the push I would like to see.
Gilliam was solid.

Our oline won't be the greatest but there will be much improvement Friday and everybody can hold me to that... The biggest challenge will be to find the new leader with Unger absent.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Drew Nowak will be the catalyst for how good this line will be since Cable seems to like his athletic upside and will probably choose him over Lemuel....

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3ulhpnag said:
What were the protection responsibilities on this play? We kept the back and TE in to block and Russell still had less than 3 seconds. Miller get's the strip but the pressure is from both sides.

http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Von-Miller-sets-tone-for-Broncos-with-strip-sack-vs-Seahawks-38749644

Russell slid to the left and walked into TJ Ward who was being blocked by Jimmy Graham, not oline. There would have been a nice pocket had Miller not destroyed Britt.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Look again Graham got tooled as badly as Britt did. Still the biggest issues I see is that the back (Turbin) didn't block any one or get into receiving position while the play design had all three receivers in deep patterns. Russell had no quick pass option to beat the rush on this call. This was to be a home run ball all the way. We were in max protect so the staff was counting on protection to be able to hold up 4 to five seconds while our receivers got down field. Bad execution, bad design, and bad selection.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":sr6ry8qf said:

If he was solid, why'd we move him to guard?

I admire your optimism, but the fact is that's the worst the O-line's played in a LONG time, bad all the way around.

I have faith that Pete and Cable can whip this group into shape...........I just hope it doesn't take half a season or put Russell in the hospital.

The Rams front seven have to be licking their chops watching that disaster Friday night.

ivotuk

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2urr40hg said:
Our starters were only in 2 series. Their oline starters were in for 4 series........

1st series Strip sack and fumble.

2nd series Turbin had a huge hole if he had gone between the tight end and Tackle for the TD. Yes the Bronco d end got penetration but he went through the 4 hole leaving the 6 wide open which Tom Cable alluded to.

I rewound this about 8 times and the hole to the left was obvious but Turbin "stomped on snakes" and went back in to the middle. I stopped it multiple times during the play and it looks like the left was blocked perfectly and he could have run a long ways.

Denver had their entire starting offensive line in the game until the last series before half time except vasquez who came out after the 2nd series. If their 1st string oline was stuffed by our 2nd's, then there would have been something seriously wrong.

Really our 1st string d minus the legion of book gave up 3 points on a very long FG.

That's pretty much what we have right now, a bunch of DBs studying their play "books" trying to learn how to graduate from "The Legion of Book" to "The Legion of Boom." At times, they looked like "The Legion of Boob." :p

They left most of their starters in on D as well.

Bailey was bad and that is why they are making the change.
Lemuel was ok but serviceable.
Okung was solid.
Sweezy was beaten one time on a pass rush.

Milton was bad
Nowak engages his blocks but doesn't always get the push I would like to see.
Gilliam was solid.

Our oline won't be the greatest but there will be much improvement Friday and everybody can hold me to that... The biggest challenge will be to find the new leader with Unger absent.

Great post, and thanks for the laugh. I love misprints and autocorrects :mrgreen:

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36kjj6ue said:
seahawk12thman":36kjj6ue said:

I admire your optimism, but the fact is that's the worst the O-line's played in a LONG time, bad all the way around.

I have faith that Pete and Cable can whip this group into shape...........I just hope it doesn't take half a season or put Russell in the hospital.

The Rams front seven have to be licking their chops watching that disaster Friday night.

Because Bailey was atrocious and Gilliam isn't big enough. The Hawks don't need a turnstile at left guard. Britt is the only one who can fill that position at least until Glowinski gets a little more season under his belt. If Bailey was sufficient, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1cm90lc6 said:
Look again Graham got tooled as badly as Britt did. Still the biggest issues I see is that the back (Turbin) didn't block any one or get into receiving position while the play design had all three receivers in deep patterns. Russell had no quick pass option to beat the rush on this call. This was to be a home run ball all the way. We were in max protect so the staff was counting on protection to be able to hold up 4 to five seconds while our receivers got down field. Bad execution, bad design, and bad selection.

Grahams footwork was bad but he might have been able to recover but Wilson had slid into him and was being dragged down by Miller. Guess we will never know, but Graham is another interesting story to see if he can block. To be honest, I never have seen him in pass pro before.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A positive post is a good thing. Much better than people telling you to "dial it down" or basically to not get excited about a player because "it's just pre-season"
Aaaah, telling others HOW to be a fan :th2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2hxsaczu said:
Sgt. Largent":2hxsaczu said:
seahawk12thman":2hxsaczu said:

Because Bailey was atrocious and Gilliam isn't big enough. The Hawks don't need a turnstile at left guard. Britt is the only one who can fill that position at least until Glowinski gets a little more season under his belt. If Bailey was sufficient, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You don't move a tackle to guard unless the tackle's struggling. Britt was rated the WORST RT in the entire league last year in pass protection. Not 2nd to last, dead last.

Pro Football Focus: Justin Britt (-18.5)

Sorry, but NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE who watched that game Friday night can say the O-line played well.........individually or as a whole. Just one pre-season game, so I'm not freaking out yet. But if the shuffling and poor performances continue, it's a BIG deal.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33d1e20b said:
seahawk12thman":33d1e20b said:
Sgt. Largent":33d1e20b said:
seahawk12thman":33d1e20b said:

You don't move a tackle to guard unless the tackle's struggling. Britt was rated the WORST RT in the entire league last year in pass protection. Not 2nd to last, dead last.

Pro Football Focus: Justin Britt (-18.5)

Sorry, but NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE who watched that game Friday night can say the O-line played well.........individually or as a whole. Just one pre-season game, so I'm not freaking out yet. But if the shuffling and poor performances continue, it's a BIG deal.

Britt was a rookie, how many rookies started at right tackle last year?? I didn't say they played well but they should have scored a touchdown on their second drive. I am simply saying the sky isn't falling. Lets assume Britt was good in your opinion, who should play left guard??
Not sure why this is so difficult for you.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":kklhns3y said:
A positive post is a good thing. Much better than people telling you to "dial it down" or basically to not get excited about a player because "it's just pre-season"
Aaaah, telling others HOW to be a fan :th2thumbs:

That is why they are posting on here and not coaching LOL. I played and now coach football. It is humorous to hear analysis and quickly find out those that blow hot air and those that know what they are talking about. Fortunately, most posters are pretty knowledgeable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1u6aoorw said:
Britt was a rookie, how many rookies started at right tackle last year?? I didn't say they played well but they should have scored a touchdown on their second drive. I am simply saying the sky isn't falling. Lets assume Britt was good in your opinion, who should play left guard??

It's not difficult.

You're saying Britt was moved to left guard because we need a left guard, and I'm saying he was moved to left guard because he was an inferior RT, especially in pass protection.

No team in the history of the NFL moves a great, or even very good RT to guard because of need. Tackles are much harder to find than guards, so you never move a good one out of need..............you move them because they're not playing well, or don't have the potential to solidify that position.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1m8zqpg2 said:
It's not difficult.

You're saying Britt was moved to left guard because we need a left guard, and I'm saying he was moved to left guard because he was an inferior RT, especially in pass protection.

No team in the history of the NFL moves a great, or even very good RT to guard because of need. Tackles are much harder to find than guards, so you never move a good one out of need..............you move them because they're not playing well, or don't have the potential to solidify that position.

Pretty hard to argue with this train of thought.

No doubt they may not love Bailey, but if they had a tackle they liked they would not touch that situation. No matter what they say at press conferences.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1726b7hk said:
seahawk12thman":1726b7hk said:

It's not difficult.

Gilliam can't play guard, he isn't big enough. Yes, Britt was moved to left guard because the play there was less than average. So you are saying Britt would have been replaced by Gilliam if Bailey was the guard we were hoping he would be???

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2jh4y899 said:
Sgt. Largent":2jh4y899 said:
seahawk12thman":2jh4y899 said:

It's not difficult.

Gilliam can't play guard, he isn't big enough. Yes, Britt was moved to left guard because the play there was less than average. So you are saying Britt would have been replaced by Gilliam if Bailey was the guard we were hoping he would be???

Definitely a possibility.

My guess is Pete and Tom wanted to give Britt a chance during OTA's and the first pre-season game to see if there was any growth with his pass pro issues from last year. The verdict was a resounding no, thus the move.

Nothing against Britt, he was iffy at RT from the get go, which is why Cable told him when he was drafted that he could end up at guard.

I'm merely contradicting your assertion that the O-line wasn't as bad as it appeared Friday. It was, and the shuffling and rotation of new players into the starting 5 proves me right.

StoneCold

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":16elq976 said:
Sgt. Largent":16elq976 said:
seahawk12thman":16elq976 said:

It's not difficult.

Gilliam is taller and heavier than Sweezy. Not trying to be argumentative as I appreciate your positive spin.

Latest posts