Michael Bennett fined $17,363 for hit on Alex Smith

Barakas

Reaction score
I can't wait until his next radio interview

:snack:

Exittium

Reaction score
That hit looked like the perfect example of HOW TO hit a qb legally...

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He went too high on the play and appeared to make contact with the facemask. The fact that he is not taking responsibility for the hit is very Michael Bennett.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
hawknation2015":5az03l68 said:
He went too high on the play and appeared to make contact with the facemask. The fact that he is not taking responsibility for the hit is very Michael Bennett.

Yep...according to the NFL...No Fun League...the hit was too high as he made contact with the QB's helmet or facemask.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
zcjKlj5.gif

Bennett tends to go high at times. He just needs to work on his form tackling, going low and hitting the body. Hawk tackling is all about taking the head out of the game. Though this was not nearly as bad as what he did to Colt McCoy:
J5S7O7W

RussB

Reaction score
its his job to hit the QB and lay him out. he did nothing wrong. NFL is becoming soft it wasnt even a late hit and no facemask action

Exittium

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3jverjow said:
hawknation2015":3jverjow said:

Yep...according to the NFL...No Fun League...the hit was too high as he made contact with the QB's helmet or facemask.
where's the contact with the facemask? I see his should barely knicking the bottom of his.. because he's wrapped around smith. looks like they're hugging, I see nothing wrong.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I think the NFL needs to make a distinction between forcible contact and incidental contact. Their helmets may have touched but the brunt of the force was to the chest of Smith. The only reason the helmets hit was because the force of the hit to the chest of Smith caused his head to move forward.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
[youtube]t1etzT-Cgho[/youtube]

This is the new world of the NFL . . . no contact with the helmet or neck is acceptable. This what the Seahawks now call "The Strike Zone."

Bennett should adjusted his aiming point, getting lower when he launched himself, and struck with his shoulder to the near peck of the QB above the waist.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3m3vcpjr said:
[youtube]t1etzT-Cgho[/youtube]

This is the new world of the NFL . . . no contact with the helmet or neck is acceptable. This what the Seahawks now call "The Strike Zone."

Bennett should adjusted his aiming point, getting lower when he launched himself, and struck with his shoulder to the near peck of the QB above the waist.

Good lord the space defenders have available to them re: the QB is shrinking beyond belief.

He hit him square in the chest and the contact high was glancing and quite incidental.

Ridiculous.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It now appears that the QB needs to be hit above the knees and below the collar bone. If a tackler goes 1" above the collar bone or below the knees, he will be fined.

mikeak

Reaction score
It is understandable to dislike the rules but such is the result of sucide a and rampant reports of problems with life after football. Remember these guys are faster, stronger and hit harder than the players in the 60s but the head hasn't gotten any sturdier....

With that said if you don't see how Bennett makes contact with Smith's facemask then you may be electing to close your eyes at the time of impact.....

McG

Reaction score
LOL that wasn't even a penalty. Even in slow-mo it is a bang-bang play. Factor in the QB moved after Bennett jumped, it just seems like the NFL is getting back at him for acting a fool over the last 6 months (end of SB included). I miss the game I grew up with, I understand player safety and all. I also understand earning what equates to a winning lottery ticket every year. Football players know what they sign up for, it's a violent game. The fact that this play is what is considered "dirty" by todays NFL standards just makes you wonder how "real" football players from, "back in the day" feel about getting paid next to nothing (by comparison) to ruin their bodies and then at the same time, seeing the current players playing what equates to two hand touch.

Rob12

Reaction score
hawknation2015":khggr0gl said:

Wait, what?

I am typically very level headed about these types of things but that is an absolute joke of a fine. What are you watching? He knew the fine was coming, hence the remarks about Sam Bradford in his most recent 710 interview... I can't pick up what you're putting down on this one.

If I saw Ndamukong Suh hitting Russ like that, I'd say the same thing.

mikeak

Reaction score
McG":2408cxjl said:
LOL that wasn't even a penalty. Even in slow-mo it is a bang-bang play. Factor in the QB moved after Bennett jumped, it just seems like the NFL is getting back at him for acting a fool over the last 6 months (end of SB included). I miss the game I grew up with, I understand player safety and all. I also understand earning what equates to a winning lottery ticket every year. Football players know what they sign up for, it's a violent game. The fact that this play is what is considered "dirty" by todays NFL standards just makes you wonder how "real" football players from, "back in the day" feel about getting paid next to nothing (by comparison) to ruin their bodies and then at the same time, seeing the current players playing what equates to two hand touch.

My only issue with this is they don't say that it is dirty or not a bang bang play

What they say is that it is a hit to the head which is not legal and which is fined. Inadvertent / intentional is irrelevant....

So if he rule is no hit to the head do you still think it is not a penalty? Regardless of how it happened does he or does he not contact the head of Alex Smith?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
mikeak":qllovok6 said:
McG":qllovok6 said:

My only issue with this is they don't say that it is dirty or not a bang bang play

What they say is that it is a hit to the head which is not legal and which is fined. Inadvertent / intentional is irrelevant....

So if he rule is no hit to the head do you still think it is not a penalty? Regardless of how it happened does he or does he not contact the head of Alex Smith?

If there wasn't contact to head, it was awfully close. With the rule change, all you have be is near the head and shoulders.

McG

Reaction score
mikeak":1nbwmpbg said:
McG":1nbwmpbg said:

From what it appears, yes... maybe? I can't tell 100% honestly, maybe I just waiver on the side of it having to be a blatant shot to the head, apposed to a slight or grazing shot to the head. The main flaw I find with this rule is, offensive players can use it to their advantage in order to get a 15 yard penalty when it is desperately needed. Sure, it would be stupid and dangerous, but that option is there and it often works in the offenses advantage, even if it's not intentional. Although as an offensive player, you have the option to recognize a big hit coming and just lower your head. I (and I'm sure you) have seen it happen quite a few times, maybe not on purpose, but when the defender lays out for a hit and the offensive player lowers his head to "protect" himself and it's 15 yards the other way. Players on both sides of the coin have said they really can't control those type of situations because it's just part of the game.

Now those may be considered poor examples, considering it's mostly receiver v. DB/LB's and not QB v. DL/LB, but is an example of how I feel the rule as a whole is flawed. With that said, I know it's not going to change. The NFL is backtracking and overcompensating for years and years of negligence in regards to player safety, most obviously concussions. I just think those type of penalties that cheapen the game, a good pressure play (like Bennett's on Smith) which would have netted, I believe an incompletion and a 4th down, is then a free 15 yards and a first down. Also, it keeps drives alive and either gives teams momentum or can completely deflate a teams confidence. It's just annoying overall to see this happen, game after game, especially with the way our defense plays. I know this is spoken like a true homer, but at the same time as a fan of the game, it's just disheartening to watch a game and constantly disagree with the way it's being played/officiated. Sometimes, it feels like I'm not even watching the same game I played and grew up with, because in all reality it's not.