Russell Wilson "lobbies" for more no huddle up tempo

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, the guy flat out refuses to fix the obvious problems. Why in the heck is there not a blocking back in there to help with Lynch? Let alone just to help save Russ from getting killed back there? Why no screen passes??? The Rams owned them on those things. Wide open RB and TE all day long.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think this is a good thing. Glad Wilson is speaking up and this is a good thing. We need him to start doing more of this and now that he is paid he has some leverage. I like it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree with Russell, the way to slow down good front sevens is to up tempo, because it keeps them off balance and if successful wears them down.

The Ram's front 7 dictated that entire game and forced us into all those stupid bubble screens and check downs for no yards.

seahawks08

Reaction score
it's not sustainable, you will overwork and not sub players. The benefit you get is a wash, even though statistics say otherwise, the whole rotation does help getting some fresh legs and give some WR's breathing room to go deep.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
seahawks08":tg3cnaa7 said:
it's not sustainable, you will overwork and not sub players. The benefit you get is a wash, even though statistics say otherwise, the whole rotation does help getting some fresh legs and give some WR's breathing room to go deep.

Good post.

You risk a lot to your identity and your defense by going to up tempo.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't think Wilson thinks it should be utilized all game long just in spots.

JimmyG

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2s1e7oux said:
seahawks08":2s1e7oux said:

Good post.

Exactly what I was thinking.

If there was a motto or mantra to describe our team -- and I don't mean a generic rah-rah statement out of Carroll like "always compete" or "next man up", I mean a mantra that really reflects what we do -- I think it would be "we will win the battle of attrition".

We are aggressive and violent on defense. However, we are conservative and tend to grind it out on offense. The offense wears the opposing defense down; in doing so, it also gives our defense a chance to stay fresh and catch their breath. If we start tweaking the formula, our defense will suffer. Being able to control the clock is valuable to the team in all facets of the game. We can't have our cake and eat it too. It's just not that simple.

The current philosophy has been wildly successful. There's no reason to make big changes to it.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
seahawks08":27u2j6sg said:
It doesn't need to be sustainable. No one is suggesting it as our sole offensive philosophy.

It's like running a fast break in basketball; you do it when the time is right (as Wilson put it when "we're having a bit of a lull"), you don't do it when it's not there or it's not appropriate.

I'm 100% with Russ on this.

classicaaron

Reaction score
i think hurry up or no huddle would work for wilson as he always tends to really find his rythym in those situations. its why hes had so many 4th quarter come backs.

however this doesnt match the philosphy of the team where you want to pound the ball, control the game clock and play solid defense.

its like 6 of one a dozen of the other, which method would really be better. wilson hitting his strides or letting beast mode go off. i think they need to do it situationally when the offense either struggles a bit or when wilson has his slow starts.

Anthony!

Reaction score
classicaaron":3myj56zk said:
i think hurry up or no huddle would work for wilson as he always tends to really find his rythym in those situations. its why hes had so many 4th quarter come backs.

however this doesnt match the philosphy of the team where you want to pound the ball, control the game clock and play solid defense.

its like 6 of one a dozen of the other, which method would really be better. wilson hitting his strides or letting beast mode go off. i think they need to do it situationally when the offense either struggles a bit or when wilson has his slow starts.

A Majority of the slow starts can be fixed my getting rid of the scripted plays, 25 scripted plays that must all be used before you start using plays that can take advantage of what is really happening is ridiculous. That is why we have slow starts most of the time those scripted plays do not work. I agree with more up tempo, sprinkle in some hurry up, no huddle and then some normal offense and you can keep the other team of balance. Even in the normal offense just provide the personal group and let Wilson call the play that is when things always seem to role. And above all stop be conservative and taking your foot off the throttle.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JimmyG":3ntjdjfc said:
DavidSeven":3ntjdjfc said:
seahawks08":3ntjdjfc said:

Good post.

Exactly what I was thinking.

If there was a motto or mantra to describe our team -- and I don't mean a generic rah-rah statement out of Carroll like "always compete" or "next man up", I mean a mantra that really reflects what we do -- I think it would be "we will win the battle of attrition".

We are aggressive and violent on defense. However, we are conservative and tend to grind it out on offense. The offense wears the opposing defense down; in doing so, it also gives our defense a chance to stay fresh and catch their breath. If we start tweaking the formula, our defense will suffer. Being able to control the clock is valuable to the team in all facets of the game. We can't have our cake and eat it too. It's just not that simple.

The current philosophy has been wildly successful. There's no reason to make big changes to it.
Yeah!!, Wilson is such an idiot, what the hell does know about running a sporadic up tempo Offensive attack anyways?
He needs to stay Bevel predictable, keep it slow, and give the opposing Defenses a little rest in between plays, so they can stay fresh & sharp. :roll:

lobohawk

Reaction score
Grinding away the first half didn't seem to have much impact on their Defense later in the game.

JimmyG

Reaction score
scutterhawk":mjhha01r said:
Yeah!!, Wilson is such an idiot, what the hell does know about running a sporadic up tempo Offensive attack anyways?
He needs to stay Bevel predictable, keep it slow, and give the opposing Defenses a little rest in between plays, so they can stay fresh & sharp. :roll:
Great post. Maybe if Anthony! gives his blessing on the no-huddle offense I'll be okay with it.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1flcrl5e said:
classicaaron":1flcrl5e said:

A Majority of the slow starts can be fixed my getting rid of the scripted plays, 25 scripted plays that must all be used before you start using plays that can take advantage of what is really happening is ridiculous. That is why we have slow starts most of the time those scripted plays do not work. I agree with more up tempo, sprinkle in some hurry up, no huddle and then some normal offense and you can keep the other team of balance. Even in the normal offense just provide the personal group and let Wilson call the play that is when things always seem to role. And above all stop be conservative and taking your foot off the throttle.
This was from a Seattle Times article in 2013 titled "Seahawks’ offense slowing after going off the script"

Seattle, like many teams, scripts about the first 15 offensive plays. The players are told what those plays will be the day before, and they rehearse them during the walk-through. The team won’t necessarily run those 15 plays in that exact order in the game, as there are some adjustments made for third-down situations or if the team has the ball inside the 20-yard-line, but for the most part, the team sticks to the sequence laid out in advance.

The goal of following that prepared script?

“We’re trying to execute well,” said Darrell Bevell, Seattle’s offensive coordinator. “We’re trying to score points, which I think we’ve done a pretty decent job of doing that. There’s some fact-finding you’re trying to find out.”

The offense is trying to judge defensive tendencies, to see if the opponent is using the same alignments and coverages as previous weeks and to test whether it is adjusting the same way.

Bill Walsh (who Pete takes much of his coaching philosophy from) was among the first to use scripted plays. As he puts it (Link):
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game. So we prefer to make our decisions related to the game almost clinically, before the game is ever played. … Without question you can make more objective decisions during the week as to what you would do in the game than you can spontaneously as the game is being played. To be honest with you, you are in a state of stress, sometimes you are in a state of desperation and you are asked to make very calculated decisions. It is rarely done in warfare and certainly not in football; so your decisions made during the week are the ones that make sense.”

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
But more 'no huddle' would only confuse Bevell right? :sarcasm_off:

Seriously. This was a good idea in 2013 and it holds true today. It puts pressure on defenses and ALLOWS WILSON TO WORK ON THE FLY more with plays he and his newer receivers are familiar with. It allows players to rely on instinct, chemistry and tempo.
Bevell out thinks himself sometimes.

jake206

Reaction score
No more excuses, Wilson's not a sacred cow. This one is not on Bevell...this is on Wilson. Russell even admitted that he didn't get the ball out quick enough. Fans should no longer use Bevell's play calling as an excuse for his poor execution. Russ has to take responsibility for his mistakes. The onus is on the players not the coach. And at this point in Russell's development, he should be able to audible out of any play, he doesn't like.