All 22 vs CHI (second half)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Ok, did about as much as I am going to. Most of it is offense (hard to get both sides, just too time consuming).

1st half here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114714

Been all offense so far but wanted to highlight a Jordan Hill TFL that was amazing.
iDVUINY.gif

Tyler's "Welcome to Seatte, bitches!" to start things off.
0u4IxoH

1st and 10 - Nice little play action bootleg with Lockette running the crossing route. Was glad to see a defense biting on the play action with a RB not named Marshawn Lynch in the backfield. (I forgot to mention, we saw similar stuff in GB but it looks like Russ may have shortened up the bootleg so he could hit the receiver more quickly this time around.)
Zca4grD

1st and 10 - RW Sacked for a loss of 10. Combination of bad blocking Graham's part and Wilson not climbing the pocket rather than instinctively scrambling backward. Again, blocking TE wanted.
9x3yHmk

2nd and 20 - RW sacked for a loss of 5. I added several pauses to this one because it looked like Russ tried to freeze the LB/Safety in the middle and then wanted to go to Graham running that out and up (or whatever you call it). Pulls it down, looks left for Lockette who is covered and then tries to climb the pocket but is immediately pressured. Looked like he had Mathews on the shallow crosser if he led him but I'm no expert.
Zva1ccb

1st and 10 - Nice cutback by Rawls. Honestly, the thing I'm loving about his play in this game is that he isn't trying to cut everything back.
1B1R5gF

2nd and 8 - Britt and Nowak double team the NT but as soon as Britt comes off of him to get to the 2nd level, Nowak gets tossed and the NT is basically in the backfield in front of Rawls. Somehow he bounces it outside and then turns up field for 5 yards. Chris Mathews misses a block that could have sprang Rawls for more yards if he gets by the corner.
ZHYaIGo

3rd and 3 - Nice little pick on the out and up.
D9eFHuE

2nd and 6 - Bit of a buzz kill for me. Rawls fights his ass off for a yard and Graham misses the block that allows first contact in the backfield as well as avoids putting a block on a DL that's about to lay his RB out on the sideline. Was not impressed, Jimmy.
GXzOuRy

3rd and 5 - I freaking love this play. I don't know if it's because it's a great play or because the two safeties completely jumped the wrong routes but it was a thing of beauty. Pass protection was terrific, Russell had a nice throwing lane, Graham came open just as Russell looks off the deep safety and then fires a dart, hitting Graham in stride. Could not have gone better.
CPJUtUi

DEFENSE: 3rd and 1 - Thought this was funny so figured I'd throw it in the mix.
Q3bZv4g

1st and 10 - Make up no-call? He's clearly engaged with Nowak when Britt cuts him.
7JRb4L4

2nd and 6 - What a sight. No explanation needed, just watch and enjoy.
HiKGpN7

Giphy

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Laloosh":2ho5xw2w said:
1st and 10 - RW Sacked for a loss of 10. Combination of bad blocking Graham's part and Wilson not climbing the pocket rather than instinctively scrambling backward. Again, blocking TE wanted.
9x3yHmk.gif

Great work. This is a nice example of something I was discussing before with someone.

#1 Graham should not be an in-line blocker, wasting his energies on whiffed blocks against defensive ends and linebackers. He should spend way more snaps split out wide, lined up against smaller defensive backs that he can physically overwhelm.

#2 Wilson needs to be taught when it is appropriate to climb the pocket and when it is better to go backwards. Against outside pressure, it is almost always better to climb the pocket, if there is a pocket to climb. Wilson nearly always prefers to elude the pressure by going backwards.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Laloosh":ns78a72j said:
2nd and 20 - RW sacked for a loss of 5. I added several pauses to this one because it looked like Russ tried to freeze the LB/Safety in the middle and then wanted to go to Graham running that out and up (or whatever you call it). Pulls it down, looks left for Lockette who is covered and then tries to climb the pocket but is immediately pressured. Looked like he had Mathews on the shallow crosser if he led him but I'm no expert.
zva1ccb.gif

Graham one-on-one to the outside for a first down? C'mon.

HawkGA

Reaction score
This is really great stuff. Thanks for doing this.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2qkv678k said:
Laloosh":2qkv678k said:
9x3yHmk.gif

Great work. This is a nice example of something I was discussing before with someone.

#1 Graham should not be an in-line blocker, wasting his energies on whiffed blocks against defensive ends and linebackers. He should spend way more snaps split out wide, lined up against smaller defensive backs that he can physically overwhelm.

#2 Wilson needs to be taught when it is appropriate to climb the pocket and when it is better to go backwards. Against outside pressure, it is almost always better to climb the pocket, if there is a pocket to climb. Wilson nearly always prefers to elude the pressure by going backwards.

I know what you're saying, but you're kind of contradicting yourself on this one particular play.

Yes, Graham could've blocked better, but he didn't "whiff" the block by any means. Look at how wide the DE is on him; Graham does what he's supposed to do and direct him way outside. Now, Graham didn't get enough of the block and the guy was able to cut a sharper angle around the corner than he did, but that's on Wilson. There was a ton of room in the pocket. He could easily have stepped up and avoided that.

On top of that, Wilson is supposed to be calling the line protections. So, it's not like he didn't see where that guy was lining up, and you have to know that 85% of the time he's coming wide. If he spins and comes inside, it's going to be very obvious to Russ. That's the pocket awareness of Wilson that he needs to work on. If he calmly steps up into the pocket, that's likely not a sack.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Love this stuff Laloosh.

Watching the all 22, I thought in the 2nd half the Bears were sitting on play action.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":zvztm0rh said:
Love this stuff Laloosh.

Watching the all 22, I thought in the 2nd half the Bears were sitting on play action.

So far to me, it's felt like they just weren't being fooled by the two TE power looks because they know our TEs can't block. We lined up with Graham and Helfet on the same side like they were going to give Gilliam some help and Chicago dropped their LBs and safeties into coverage before the ball was even snapped.

They (at least as far as I've made it) have respected the stuff out of the "I". Maybe because Rawls made them pay when they didn't set the edge earlier in the game.

[edit] 4th quarter they were staying home quite a bit.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Graham shouldn't be talking about how much he wants to win when he's half-assing his blocking like that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I've never really seen it, but I wonder if you lined up the 2 TE's to one side, and the defense is laying off on the play action, if you could actually send one or both of those TE's like they're going into a route, to drive the LBers back, then hand the ball off.

You're going to get 3-4 drop steps from the LBers, then they're going to come up to try and fill. At that point, the TE's block em. Sort of like the read option, but running TE routes. You're getting a guy to give up space and go the wrong way.

Other than it would be hard for a TE to block a LBer in space, it could work. Unless that would be ineligible man down field ?

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Laloosh":2vw5y2ib said:
Ok, did about as much as I am going to. Most of it is offense (hard to get both sides, just too time consuming).

Been all offense so far but wanted to highlight a Jordan Hill TFL that was amazing.
iDVUINY.gif

Tyler's "Welcome to Seatte, bitches!" to start things off.
0u4IxoH

1st and 10 - Nice little play action bootleg with Lockette running the crossing route. Was glad to see a defense biting on the play action with a RB not named Marshawn Lynch in the backfield. (I forgot to mention, we saw similar stuff in GB but it looks like Russ may have shortened up the bootleg so he could hit the receiver more quickly this time around.)
Zca4grD

9x3yHmk

Zva1ccb

1st and 10 - Nice cutback by Rawls. Honestly, the thing I'm loving about his play in this game is that he isn't trying to cut everything back.
1B1R5gF

2nd and 8 - Britt and Nowak double team the NT but as soon as Britt comes off of him to get to the 2nd level, Nowak gets tossed and the NT is basically in the backfield in front of Rawls. Somehow he bounces it outside and then turns up field for 5 yards. Chris Mathews misses a block that could have sprang Rawls for more yards if he gets by the corner.
ZHYaIGo

3rd and 3 - Nice little pick on the out and up.
D9eFHuE

2nd and 6 - Bit of a buzz kill for me. Rawls fights his ass off for a yard and Graham misses the block that allows first contact in the backfield as well as avoids putting a block on a DL that's about to lay his RB out on the sideline. Was not impressed, Jimmy.
GXzOuRy

3rd and 5 - I freaking love this play. I don't know if it's because it's a great play or because the two safeties completely jumped the wrong routes but it was a thing of beauty. Pass protection was terrific, Russell had a nice throwing lane, Graham came open just as Russell looks off the deep safety and then fires a dart, hitting Graham in stride. Could not have gone better.
CPJUtUi

DEFENSE: 3rd and 1 - Thought this was funny so figured I'd throw it in the mix.
Q3bZv4g

1st and 10 - Make up no-call? He's clearly engaged with Nowak when Britt cuts him.
7JRb4L4

2nd and 6 - What a sight. No explanation needed, just watch and enjoy.
HiKGpN7

Giphy

Excellent Job man way to go really get a unbelievable prospective of the plays ,

White Devil

Reaction score
Laloosh":1ufril8a said:
Okay, i'm done. See ya next week...

Excellent job, thanks again for taking the time to do these. Loved that last Rawls run with *shocker him running behind Coleman who actually made a great block. THAT's Seahawks football. :les:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
That Lockette block (and second block) on the Lockett return TD is ridiculous. I assume that's why they keep him around.

byau

Reaction score
Love it Laloosh. Thanks!

On the bad Graham blocking play (which one right?) can they call a few block-and-release type plays? He sets up a block and then releases out for an easy pick up of 3 to 4 yards on the catch, maybe a few more after catch?

Or is that too obvious?

Also love the telestrator work and comments man. Love it! Thanks!

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
byau":3kkp5h8h said:
Love it Laloosh. Thanks!

On the bad Graham blocking play (which one right?) can they call a few block-and-release type plays? He sets up a block and then releases out for an easy pick up of 3 to 4 yards on the catch, maybe a few more after catch?

Or is that too obvious?

Also love the telestrator work and comments man. Love it! Thanks!

As long as the defender isn't in the passing lane, you can do it but some of these plays do call for a blocking TE. Problem is, we simply don't have one so we have to rely on him, Helfet or Willson.

I think they were counting on McCoy to be that guy but he was injured again.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sc85sis":2wn3q9cd said:
I like how Rawls finishes his runs.

He's almost like a torpedo, which doesn't arm itself until well clear of the sub, after that he's looking more to hit something than escape. :mrgreen: