Schneider tried to trade up for Penix

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Been watching college football for over 20 years. Not sure I've seen what Penix did.

He went to Indiana, then somehow got INDIANA #7 in the country.
He also beat Michigan and Penn State back when Penn State was good.

He then went to UW, a team that had won 4 games. He took that team to the NC game, likely got his HC a job at Bama.

That is a QB that carries his team to winning wherever he goes. I figured the Raiders and Vikings would both be all in on Penix (Penix would be a nightmare on the Vikings). Not sure I understand the Saints, but they do know prolific winning QBs when they see it.

The injury risk probably kicked Penix down a bit, but if you wanted a winning QB that puts up big #s - Penix seemed a perfect option. Made total sense the Hawks and Raiders would want him. Probably the Cowboys too if he dropped that far. Hell, Denver grabbed Bo....probably would have grabbed Penix instead if that was an option.

He wouldn't have fallen much farther regardless.

NoGain

Reaction score
I'm not completely sold on this. Even if they did, it might not have been a serious offer. We just don't know. Also, there's a difference between making an inquiry and actually negotiating for a trade.

Jac

Reaction score
I'm not completely sold on this. Even if they did, it might not have been a serious offer. We just don't know. Also, there's a difference between making an inquiry and actually negotiating for a trade.
Agree that we don't know if this is true and/or how far they were willing to go. But if they actually did talk to somebody in the top-10, they went into that conversation knowing that it was going to be expensive. The encouraging part is that it continues to feel like a new era for JS. He's going to be using draft capital on QBs going forward.

James in PA

Reaction score
With the way teams approach the quarterback position in the draft, we're gonna have to luck into one in the later rounds to get our next star at the position. Let's face it, we're never going 4-13. And even if we did, who's to say it wouldn't be another 2022 draft class.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Neither am I. There's lots of conversations that goes on between teams during the draft. Who knows how serious he was.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Congrats to Penix. Enjoyed watching him play for the Huskies and now will see how he does with the Falcons. I'm rooting for the guy except when he plays the Seahawks.

On another note, 6 QBs taken in the first 12 picks of the draft....Wow!

kidhawk

Reaction score
I’ve said it all off season; if the quarterback they want is there at 16 then take a stab at it. It wasn’t worth moving up to get him. Too many holes to fill.

If he seriously tried I’d say that is disappointing although not surprising. I remember the stories of the Wilson draft about how John kept wanting to take Wilson early and Pete wanted to wait and trust the board. We got him in the 3rd but without Pete there we may have grabbed him sooner and missed out on Wagner. In hindsight that would have been a horrible mistake.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I’ve said it all off season; if the quarterback they want is there at 16 then take a stab at it. It wasn’t worth moving up to get him. Too many holes to fill.

If he seriously tried I’d say that is disappointing although not surprising. I remember the stories of the Wilson draft about how John kept wanting to take Wilson early and Pete wanted to wait and trust the board. We got him in the 3rd but without Pete there we may have grabbed him sooner and missed out on Wagner. In hindsight that would have been a horrible mistake.
This!

GemCity

Reaction score
The Leonard Williams trade may have seriously hamstrung our long term future. Next year's qb class isn't nearly as good.
I look at it like our first and second picks of this years draft are two incredible IDLs.

Additionally, my opinion is that Sam Howell will have a better career than 4-5 of those QBs that were drafted.

I don’t see anything negative about this draft sans our lack of picks.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I wish I shared your optimism about Howell. The likelihood he goes from well below average to well above average is probably less than 5%.

Jac

Reaction score
The Leonard Williams trade may have seriously hamstrung our long term future. Next year's qb class isn't nearly as good.
We couldn't get from #16 to #8 with a second rounder. It would have taken at least next year's 1st (and who knows if Atlanta would even deal given how out of left field that pick was). I want to draft a QBOTF as well (the prior regime's decision making was negligent in that regard), but that's too much for Penix. Plus, QBs always emerge so who knows what next year looks like.

WarHawks

Reaction score
We couldn't get from #16 to #8 with a second rounder. It would have taken at least next year's 1st (and who knows if Atlanta would even deal given how out of left field that pick was). I want to draft a QBOTF as well (the prior regime's decision making was negligent in that regard), but that's too much for Penix. Plus, QBs always emerge so who knows what next year looks like.
From your lips to God's ears. Fingers crossed.

Jac

Reaction score
I wish I shared your optimism about Howell. The likelihood he goes from well below average to well above average is probably less than 5%.
I think Gem's point is that there's a high likelihood that 4-5 of those QBs fall on their face. Yesterday was all glitz, this fall is going to be mostly ugly. Howell still threw for almost 4000 yards last year.