the trade deadline

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Does anyone think the Hawks will make a trade today?

OLine help is pretty much an obvious need.

My thinking is some low level transaction will be made.

marko358

Reaction score
Seems much harder to get something done compared to baseball where there's no salary cap.

kidhawk

Reaction score
We don't have much cap space available to make any real splash. Our front office doesn't historically like to risk the financial future for one season (which would have to be done to make space for any top tier talents).

With that said, Pete and John are always on the lookout for players, so I could see something less flashy happening, but I'm not getting my hopes up

aredub

Reaction score
I just don't see a trade happening. I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to get some Oline depth but I don't know at what cost we'd be willing to do so. Mack and Thomas is not realistic at all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete even joked at his presser yesterday about us having no cap space to do anything major at the trade deadline.

So if we do, it'll probably be something minor like a depth move.

We could use some O-line help, but IMO just getting guys like P-Rich and Lane back is like making two great trades.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Well, it could be done. But man would it smart.

Assume we'd want Thomas:

1. Asking price is a first round.
2. Have to include Okung. He'd only offset 2.4 of Thomas' 4.4 remaining cap figure.
3. Recoup cap space by moving money forward. Dangerous.

Assume we want Mack:

1. He's already said he's not leaving. That genuinely seen as a compact between him and Thomas not leaving one another.

Assume we want Thomas and Mack as a package deal.

1. 1st round pick 2016.
2. Conditional 1st round 2017 (contingent on Mack extending)
2. Okung
3. Avril
4. Move money (roughly 3 million total).
5. Receive conditional 2nd (based on Mack extending).

If we wanted to infuse OL quality, this would do the trick. We'd be adding 2 very ugly contracts. But contracts that are not laden with guarantees. Oddly, this kind of deal could be attractive for both teams. Seattle needs LT and OC help. Cleveland needs picks, generally need out from under these deals, needs pass rush DE help and would like to get something for Mack who is generally assumed he won't be there (like Irvin here).

Seattle would have to rely on elevating Marsh and Clark to meaningful roles. Avril is such a great player. But we're talking about getting great players. Being an all pro for a team like Cleveland is saying something. So there has to be some significant give. And Seattle is able to absorb in some fashion, the loss of Avril.

Avril's contract is attractive for Cleveland and for us, because it's almost all base salary. So the cap relief for us is maximized. And for Cleveland, they have flexibility if he is injured.

These two contracts are basically the only two that will provide enough relief that we could even theoretically make this deal possible cap wise. Outside of the tons of moving parts issues, Seattle's cap situation makes it astronomically tough to even theorycraft.

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1d3au12w said:
Pete even joked at his presser yesterday about us having no cap space to do anything major at the trade deadline.

If only the Seahawks had signed Charles Tillman or Alan Ball instead of Cary Williams. Also Kearse at 2.4M? :?

I'm a football noob and thought that was terrible at the time.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Another non-event day for the whole league.

Latest posts