Mariners Trade Deadline Thread

balakoth

Reaction score
Upset about Arroyo... we jsut depleted our IF prospects.. are they sold on JP and Adam for the long haul?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I thought that would get us Soto almost.. that was a haul.

balakoth

Reaction score
I thought that would get us Soto almost.. that was a haul.
Im guessing in the end "Owners" didnt want to pay that kinda money im guessing? we have more prospects plus Marco now.. do we send him Frazier (doesnt seem likely as hes new deal) and others to Nationals for Sot

DJrmb

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like a bit of an overpay especially when you consider he's a free agent after next season too... Soto would have been a better investment in my opinion even if you had to include Kirby, but hey I'm not the GM. Hopefully it works out for the team and they get past just making it as a wild card. I have my doubts though without adding offense, you still have to score runs to win games...

Better pray Kelenic can find it at the major league level.

balakoth

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like a bit of an overpay especially when you consider he's a free agent after next season too... Soto would have been a better investment in my opinion even if you had to include Kirby, but hey I'm not the GM. Hopefully it works out for the team and they get past just making it as a wild card. I have my doubts though without adding offense, you still have to score runs to win games...

See I felt that way too mayb ethey missed on soto cuz of this but???? now we have an extra rotation guy... plus haniger.. plus.... ya know? (Haniger same position)

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I doubt anyone wants aHani, a njury prone player that's in his contract year. ONLY teams willing perhaps is a contender desperate for outfield help.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Would you now do.. Gonz... Haniger prospect plus Cash for Soto?
Marco, Haniger, prospect, + cash for Soto? Would Washington do that though?
Yes I’d likely do that.

But could this deal up Soto’s price?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score

Castillo would be easier to extend before he hits FA.
Soto will not extend before FA.

DJrmb

Reaction score
See I felt that way too mayb ethey missed on soto cuz of this but???? now we have an extra rotation guy... plus haniger.. plus.... ya know? (Haniger same position)
Haniger is a negative dwar defender and yet another right handed bat which is the opposite of what they really need. They need a left handed bat with power. That's why Soto was a really good fit for this lineup.

Don't get me wrong, a better bat will help either way, even if it is right handed. A lefty would have just helped more and balanced out the lineup

DJrmb

Reaction score
Castillo would be easier to extend before he hits FA.
Soto will not extend before FA.
I doubt either one is going to be easy to extend, and I think both will hit free agency, but I get that people hate Boras (I do too).

I'm not concerned though with signing anyone long term once the team starts winning. They have one of the largest areas of draw of any team in MLB, and when they win they bring in as much revenue as pretty much anyone else. There's no reason they can't outbid LA or the Yankees if they get the team relevant again by winning and by having a couple of super star players...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I doubt either one is going to be easy to extend, and I think both will hit free agency, but I get that people hate Boras (I do too).

I'm not concerned though with signing anyone long term once the team starts winning. They have one of the largest areas of draw of any team in MLB, and when they win they bring in as much revenue as pretty much anyone else. There's no reason they can't outbid LA or the Yankees if they get the team relevant again by winning and by having a couple of super star players...
Castillo will be easier to resign because his buddies are here (Geno and Winker), and if they start making the playoffs the better the odds.

Outside of the first sentence of the last paragraph I agree, but we have an ownership group that doesn’t really wants to spend lots of $$$. They want to win but only under their terms and more importantly, their budget. I don’t trust Stanton as far as I can throw him, and with a bad back and questionable knees, that ain’t far.

ryank24

Reaction score
Marte and arroyo is a pretty steep price, and I wish they found a way to keep one of them. But wow, this rotation is deep now, and hopefully that's enough to push us into the playoffs finally.

I'm curious what the plan will be for next year because all 6 of these guys will still be here. I would think Kirby will be able to handle a full load next year, or close to it. Chris Flexen is probably the weakest link and he's a really solid starter. The way he's been pitching, he needs to be in the rotation. 6 man rotation all season?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Its a win. A huge win. Now if he falls off a cliff then ok. However Prospects fall off more so then proven all stars. This is the window opening for the Ms.

I think Kirby, Brash, etc will get flipped for a big bat. The Ms need a big bat.

CPHawk

Reaction score
ESPN said Arroya was only our 5th best prospect and the 3rd guy isn’t in our top 10. What list are people seeing it’s out top 3 guys?

Last edited: