Mariners Trade Deadline Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
What do you want the M’s to do?

They will very likely add a SP. Do they add a back end starter to take innings off Gilbert/Kirby? Or do they add a legit arm who could possibly start in the playoffs, like a Luis Castillo or Montas.

2B is the obvious position choice to upgrade, but I don’t mind the Frazier/Moore/Toro platoon. Just doesn’t seem like there is a great market for 2B.

I wouldn’t mind another bullpen arm, can never have enough. Bullpen game might be our third best option after Ray and Gilbert come playoffs.

I’m interested how Dipoto views the outfield. The range of outcomes is all over the place. Winker hot and cold. Kelenic? Lewis? Haniger? We need consistency here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Pitching. I’d have Lewis, Haniger, Winker, Julio, and Kelenic up late in the year. Rotate Haniger and Lewis since they probably are not going to play everyday anyways, plus’s it gives you some real solid bench bats.

Keep Haggerty around for 2nd base and as a utility and pinch run option.
Send down Toro and Moore.

Last edited:

balakoth

Reaction score
Pitching. I’d have Lewis, Haniger, Winker, Julio, and Kelenic up late in the year. Rotate Haniger and Lewis since they probably are not going to play everyday anyways, plus’s it gives you some real solid bench bats.

Keep Haggerty around for 2nd base and as a utility and pinch run option.
Send down Toro and Moore.
Playing Devils Advocate... lets say they seem sold on the rotation.. which I am TOTALLY not...

Knowing next year might be the year (Hancock comingup, Kirb with more experience and brash a solid reliever probably?)

What does the board think about.... Marte, Haniger, Kelenic... plus the contract coverage they are asking for.. for Soto?

Problem then lies in how do we get a rotation guy.

Still not sold on Kelenic.. but we do need to see him up again to see if he has adjusted to the breaking stuff (slider, cutter, curve.. he just blows on that)
What say you? (COMPLETELY hypotheical.. doubt I even want this but throwing spitballs and gauging feels)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Playing Devils Advocate... lets say they seem sold on the rotation.. which I am TOTALLY not...

Knowing next year might be the year (Hancock comingup, Kirb with more experience and brash a solid reliever probably?)

What does the board think about.... Marte, Haniger, Kelenic... plus the contract coverage they are asking for.. for Soto?

Problem then lies in how do we get a rotation guy.

Still not sold on Kelenic.. but we do need to see him up again to see if he has adjusted to the breaking stuff (slider, cutter, curve.. he just blows on that)
What say you? (COMPLETELY hypotheical.. doubt I even want this but throwing spitballs and gauging feels)
I get the skepticism on Kelenic I really do.
I don’t think you should give up the farm system for 2.5 years of Soto who’s going to walk and test FA, unless you can guarantee a World Series championship.

I’m a big Kelenic believer but I wouldn’t have a problem with him being traded in a Soto trade, it’s the other pieces Marte plus stud arms that I would have problems with.

balakoth

Reaction score
I get the skepticism on Kelenic I really do.
I don’t think you should give up the farm system for 2.5 years of Soto who’s going to walk and test FA, unless you can guarantee a World Series championship.

I’m a big Kelenic believer but I wouldn’t have a problem with him being traded in a Soto trade, it’s the other pieces Marte plus stud arms that I would have problems with.
I hear ya.. I would want to give up ZERO pitchers... but we have another 2nd basement, plus a solid RF it looks like in Arroyo? Spelling my bad.
And do you feel its the 2.5 years because mariners brass wont give up that kinda contract? Feels like they got stingy after the Cano thing

Also why my suggestion gave up just one farm guy and kelenic... plus a vet.. M yfather in law wants to see Macro gone.. but Im like.. who else is going to pitch at that point in the bare min 5th spot?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I hear ya.. I would want to give up ZERO pitchers... but we have another 2nd basement, plus a solid RF it looks like in Arroyo? Spelling my bad.
And do you feel its the 2.5 years because mariners brass wont give up that kinda contract? Feels like they got stingy after the Cano thing

Also why my suggestion gave up just one farm guy and kelenic... plus a vet.. M yfather in law wants to see Macro gone.. but Im like.. who else is going to pitch at that point in the bare min 5th spot?
Scott Borass is his agent. He always tries to get his clients to free agency to get a bidding war and every last dollar.

This Mariners ownership group doesn’t like to get into bidding wars with the big boys.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
We've been waiting for the M's future for how many years now? I don't think we will get better than what we have, Pitchers are throwing great and I don't think the farm system will get us any better in the near future, so the time is now. tank the farm system, get Soto, the lineup of Julio, France, Soto, Hani Winker will be one helluva lineup. Of course, JMHO. These two past Houston games, would be a lot different, I believe with Julio and Soto in the mix.. and besides.. We would have Soto MOJO back.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
At first I was skeptical of going after Soto, but the more I think about it, I think we should go for it. For one, it means ownership actually wants to win. It sends a message.

Soto is a known commodity. A top 5 player. Who knows what Marte, Kelenic, etc will do. 10 years ago, what if we could have traded Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoak for a top 5 player. I’m sure people would have been hesitant about that too.

The great teams almost always sell prospects for big names. They also pay them. I have no problem if the Mariners want to do the same. There is nothing wrong with trying to win.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I've seen Haniger mentioned a few times now. Not just here but on other sites, Twitter, the radio etc. What value does Haniger give the Nationals at all? They're going to be completely rebuilding. Why would they want a rental player coming off injury who will be a free agent at the end of the year? That makes no sense for them. Haniger has no value to the Nationals, if anything he might be negative value to them meaning we'd have to give them something to take him off our hands.

If you're looking to trade Haniger it would be to a contender looking for a little bit of offense from an outfield bat. Even then his value is probably a prospect or two that's outside of the MLB top 100.

Soto is a once in a lifetime type of situation. Players of his caliber and age do not become available for trade. The last one like this was probably Miguel Cabrera. He was traded for 2 top 20 prospect and a few other highly rated guys. The mariners only have 1 guy ranked that high right now and that's Marte. It's going to take something like Marte, Kelenic, Ford, Hancock, and possibly Arroyo too. You may be able to keep Arroyo or Ford if you allow them to throw in one of their bad contracts like Corbin or Strasburg.

As for me I would make that trade in a heartbeat. As has been stated by others Soto is a star player, and prospects are potential. They're players you hope can reach somewhere close to Soto's level but most of the time never do. Most prospects in baseball fail, or never live up to their lofty potential dreamed of by fans. Soto is a perfect fit to pair with Julio, providing the left handed elite bat to Julio's right handed elite bat. If you don't lose any major league talent and get Soto, you're a WS contender for 3 seasons (including this season) and it makes the Mariners relevant nationally increasing revenue generated, which in turn increases their likelihood of adding payroll to be more of a big market team, and increases the chances to keep him (and Julio) long term.

Last edited:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I've seen Haniger mentioned a few times now. Not just here but on other sites, Twitter, the radio etc. What value does Haniger give the Nationals at all? They're going to be completely rebuilding. Why would they want a rental player coming off injury who will be a free agent at the end of the year? That makes no sense for them. Haniger has no value to the Nationals, if anything he might be negative value to them meaning we'd have to give them something to take him off our hands.

If you're looking to trade Haniger it would be to a contender looking for a little bit of offense from an outfield bat. Even then his value is probably a prospect or two that's outside of the MLB top 100.

Soto is a once in a lifetime type of situation. Players of his caliber and age do not become available for trade. The last one like this was probably Miguel Cabrera. He was traded for 2 top 20 prospect and a few other highly rated guys. The mariners only have 1 guy ranked that high right now and that's Marte. It's going to take something like Marte, Kelenic, Ford, Hancock, and possibly Arroyo too. You may be able to keep Arroyo or Ford if you allow them to throw in one of their bad contracts like Corbin or Strasburg.

As for me I would make that trade in a heartbeat. As has been stated by others Soto is a star player, and prospects are potential. They're players you hope can reach somewhere close to Soto's level but most of the time never do. Most prospects in baseball fail, or never live up to their lofty potential dreamed of by fans. Soto is a perfect fit to pair with Julio, providing the left handed elite bat to Julio's right handed elite bat. If you don't lose any major league talent and get Soto, you're a WS contender for the 3 seasons (including this season) and makes the Mariners relevant nationally increasing revenue generated, which in turn increases their likelihood of adding payroll to be more of a big market team, and increases the chances to keep him (and Julio) long term.
Like I said if they get Soto, he won’t sign an extension.
It would be out of the Mariner’s ownership’s past personality wise and comfort level to re-sign Soto after he hits FA.

Love the player, hate his agent. Borass demands he calls the shots when representing a player.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be flat out stoked if they traded for Soto, but that 2.5 years of playing time is going to come at a very steep price, maybe even crippling price if you don’t win a World Series. Of course if you win a World Series or 2, it’s well worth it.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Would love to have Soto on the team for a non-obscene price, but the truckload of players we would have to give up to get him is obscene, and I'd rather let some other team pay that kind of price so that we can keep our respectable farm system and younger promising players. Maybe I'd be OK with it if Soto would be with the Ms for a minimum of 4 years, but 2.5 years is too fleeting and the cost is too steep, and there's no guarantee he would get us to the World Series.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I’m starting to think corner OF might be a surprise move by Dipoto. Outside of a few small stretches, Winker has been a major disappointment. That and he is a liability in the field. Who knows with Haniger. They clearly have a weird plan for JK, who knows if he gets called back up this season.

Don’t think Wink will be with the team next season if he doesn’t turn it around, nothing wrong with moving on from him now.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Nat's record is 34-66 while Ms record is 54-45, and the M's are 17-0 in their last 17 games in which J-Rod started. Sure, Soto has 20 HRs so far, but I have to wonder if he had a few multi-HR games to rack that up, whereas J-Rod spreads his HRs across more games and thus helps his team win more games. If so, that's another thing to consider when assessing whether Soto is really worth what is expected to be an exorbitant asking price.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I don't think some people realize how great a player Soto has been so far (and should be going forward)

"Soto has a career OPS+ of 160 at age 23. Only four other hitters have been this good this young with 2,000 plate appearances: Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Mike Trout and Albert Pujols. Soto will be the first to bring his historic start to free agency in his 20s."
Why Soto is so valuable

You're talking about best in all of baseball good. Generational talent and first ballot HoF good, even Greatest of all time level good... Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Mike Trout, and Albert Pujols are the only ones to have done what he's done at 23 years old? That's pretty damn impressive.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don't think some people realize how great a player Soto has been so far (and should be going forward)

"Soto has a career OPS+ of 160 at age 23. Only four other hitters have been this good this young with 2,000 plate appearances: Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Mike Trout and Albert Pujols. Soto will be the first to bring his historic start to free agency in his 20s."
Why Soto is so valuable

You're talking about best in all of baseball good. Generational talent and first ballot HoF good, even Greatest of all time level good... Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Mike Trout, and Albert Pujols are the only ones to have done what he's done at 23 years old? That's pretty damn impressive.
Yeah, Soto is flat out a stud. End of story.

balakoth

Reaction score
You guys are talking about the FIVE season hes played right?

While giving him credit for his HIGHEST season ever... PLAYING 41 games.... Imagine.. longevity

Some of you are smoking the good shit in Seattle.. While the rest of of him hes barely hitting mendoza line...

Stats... DERP

balakoth

Reaction score
"I hit .250 but hit 29 hrs and steal 12 bases...." ROFL Thank god we have a GM that isnt most of you

balakoth

Reaction score
According to Soto.. Julio is now worth 1 billion dollars on one season

ryank24

Reaction score
One thing to consider if the Mariners do make a trade for Soto and can't get him to extend, is they could end up flipping him before he hits free agency if they needed to.

If they can get him to sign long term, then I think it's worth it to trade for him. But he'd be here for 3 possible post season runs, and if we come away with a WS win, then it's worth it even if he doesn't extend. And if he won't extend, and it doesn't look like we're a contender at the deadline next year or the year after, you sell him off to the highest bidder and cut your losses as much as possible...maybe even break even if there's a desparate enough team at the time.

Latest posts