"Feel 'Em Out" Philosophy

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I heard again today that when asked after halftime, Pete said the reason they didn't get much pressure on Clausen was because "they were feeling them out." Sigh.

Really?

Not that I am anyone to question Pete but why does this team feel the need to "feel out their opponents" in the first half? Please don't mistake this for sour grapes, I am as giddy as any 12 right now for yet another dominating win on the road but please help me understand the "feeling them out" angle?

Isn't that what film study is for the week leading up to the game?

TestMo1337

Reaction score
It probably has to do with limited tape on Clausen.

The 6 points were due to 4 big plays all on switches or soft zone. The difference is that when it was Cary Williams, they would go in contained for a TD.

Once the 2nd half hit, they were getting consistent pressure. A more seasoned vet probably stays in the pocket longer to find some resulting in more sacks. Clausen would throw early or bail once the pressure was increased.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
sammyc521":1oy88voz said:
It probably has to do with limited tape on Clausen.

The 6 points were due to 4 big plays all on switches or soft zone. The difference is that when it was Cary Williams, they would go in contained for a TD.

Once the 2nd half hit, they were getting consistent pressure. A more seasoned vet probably stays in the pocket longer to find some resulting in more sacks. Clausen would throw early or bail once the pressure was increased.

I see what you are saying but the lack of pressure on him in the second half was surprising to me. He seems like the type of QB our defense would feed off of and get 4-8 sacks. To be fair it seemed like their OL was pretty stout.

Scottemojo or Kearly please pick up the courtesy phone...

Cartire

Reaction score
ehhhhh......

If this Seahawks team is feeling teams out, then keep on doing it, because its working.

sutz

Reaction score
I think it is the team philosophy. Play conservative early until you figure out opponents' tendencies, then open things up and pour it on.

Hell it's how they've played the whole season. Sort of conservative for 6-8 games, then off to the races. The pattern has been consistant since Pete got here. I kind of think the slow starts are almost intentional.
:229031_shrug:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I hate feel em out thinking, but results are what they are. I think no Kam kind of made coaches go conservo in the secondary.

Also, the pressure was way better than the sack totals. Especially considering how good that Ravens line is.

Cartire

Reaction score
HawkerD":32o33z62 said:
I think it is a canned line he feeds to the media

Theres probably a lot of this too. He knows he has to answer a few questions during halftime as part of his job. I never think these quips give anything but canned, cliche responses. Probably has a flashcard with the next ones on the list hes going to spout each game.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Aros":1jesd5nz said:
I see what you are saying but the lack of pressure on him in the second half was surprising to me. He seems like the type of QB our defense would feed off of and get 4-8 sacks. To be fair it seemed like their OL was pretty stout.

Scottemojo or Kearly please pick up the courtesy phone...

The whole game was full of almost-sacks and near-turnovers. They were getting pressure all day on Baltimore, just not quite enough to force sacks and such. So many times he'd squeak out a throwaway just before he was going to be sacked. I thought there was great pressure with minimum pass rushers today.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just feel like this is one element of the defense where you are either winning or not. When you get to a poor QB you are winning. When you are close, but no cigar? Nope. I just think we are a better defense then we showed IN THAT REGARD yesterday is all.

Rob12

Reaction score
Aros":ef49v6ht said:
I heard again today that when asked after halftime, Pete said the reason they didn't get much pressure on Clausen was because "they were feeling them out." Sigh.

Really?

Not that I am anyone to question Pete but why does this team feel the need to "feel out their opponents" in the first half? Please don't mistake this for sour grapes, I am as giddy as any 12 right now for yet another dominating win on the road but please help me understand the "feeling them out" angle?

I think they were trying, but to be fair, it seemed to me that Clausen was getting the ball out fairly quickly. Would have loved to see about three or more sacks, but he was pressured for most of the day. Still, Clausen throwing for 274 yards is a bit cringe worthy.

themunn

Reaction score
sutz":1roi04hb said:
I think it is the team philosophy. Play conservative early until you figure out opponents' tendencies, then open things up and pour it on.

Hell it's how they've played the whole season. Sort of conservative for 6-8 games, then off to the races. The pattern has been consistant since Pete got here. I kind of think the slow starts are almost intentional.
:229031_shrug:

Whole season? It's how we've played for 4 years.
Don't show your cards early and the opponent can't adjust.

Edit:didn't read 2nd paragraph oops

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Aros":10eogth4 said:

Really?

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that philosophy. It's one of my very few critical things I'd say about PC and his coaching style.
I'd rather come out and dictate my will on the other team from the get go.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I didn't understand the concern in the game day forum yesterday nor on the main today.. it was Jimmy Claussen. He was never going to beat this defense consistently enough over 4 quarters to win the game. It seems we played into that. It might be a bit conservative, but when you know that in taking no chances you are going to win anyways why take the chances?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2h9fs6pw said:
I didn't understand the concern in the game day forum yesterday nor on the main today.. it was Jimmy Claussen. He was never going to beat this defense consistently enough over 4 quarters to win the game. It seems we played into that. It might be a bit conservative, but when you know that in taking no chances you are going to win anyways why take the chances?

I've got the same thoughts on the topic.

Clausen wasn't going to be able to drive the field dinkin' and dunkin' more than a series or two, so why give him the opportunity for chunk plays by over-blitzing if you don't have to?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Feel them out is for determining whether they're doing something not previously seen on film or to determine which of their tendencies are actually coming into play in a specific game/situation.

timmat

Reaction score
I also think they like to first see if they can be successful getting QB pressure with just the front four. When our D is at it's most dominant, the front 4 get pressure and all LBs and DBs are swarming in coverage. But it does seem like when you play an inferior QB, applying pressure right away is a no brainer. Can't argue with 6pts though.

Latest posts