can the passing game carry the Hawks to the SB?

irocdave

Reaction score
I know this is premature, but the running game is now is serious question. We all can see that it will not be the bell cow that it has been for the last 4 years, we can all wish that Lynch will be back in 3 weeks but who knows if that will happen. We have seen the other backs, they are for the most part, not liabilities but not game changers either and will not make much of a difference in the outcome of games from now going forward.

RW and the O line have feasted on piss poor defenses in the last 4 games.....( you all saw the Vikings D, it sucked) can they be really become the dominate force that the Hawks running game has been? Can the passing game surpass the Packers and the Panthers? Or better yet, can the passing game be that much better than the competitions as was the running game in previous years?

I think so, but it hasn't been proven yet. This may be the greatest run to the SB for the Hawks if RW and crew can pull it off.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I think the jury is still out. Feel like some of the better secondaries (or teams that can get pressure with 4 rushers) will make a play on more of those 3rd and 6's that we converted w/out the run game against Baltimore. We were able to go to that rub route to Baldwin in the flat over and over against them and I don't think AZ, STL or CAR let that happen.

Just my opinion but I think we'd struggle a bit w/out that run game against a good defense that knows we don't have Lynch or Rawls.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I honestly think we could play the spread offense, and win, as long as we kept the D honest with some run. Against anyone.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
We're going to find out real quick. But I'm thinking Pete has finally given the keys to the car to Wilson and Scottemojo isn't insane. Even if the IDEA he posits might be. Question is, is Pete ready to take big risks like Belicheat live or die, win or lose and trust Russell to score 30 while taking that PRIMARY option away from the opponents offense?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pmedic920":2ldib3ou said:
Yes, if our Defense play up to their potential.
Excellent. I believe, you believe, Scott believes. Our defense obviously believes. But does Pete believe? I mean actually believe enough to let Russell throw it 50 times or let Coleman try and be Christian Okoye. Because currently it doesn't seem we have any better options.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
We have the players to use the spread as a substitute for a run game if we have to. I honestly think Baldwin is twice the WR Edelman is, and Lockett is a pick your poison guy. After that we have some unique talents, even if the are a bit JAGish in overall talent.

Is it the key to winning a SB? The pats, by choice abandon the run for the spread several times a year.

Do I think we want to? Not a chance. But if we have to, we have the talent.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have zero doubts a RW led offense can win the whole thing. Bevell has to keep the chains off though and continue to do what he's been doing. I would much rather have Rawls but a part of me wants to see Wilson win the whole thing without all the excuses people make for why he's good. Petty I know but it would be fun to see him succeed under these circumstances.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
austinslater25":37pf9jr4 said:
I have zero doubts a RW led offense can win the whole thing. Bevell has to keep the chains off though and continue to do what he's been doing. I would much rather have Rawls but a part of me wants to see Wilson win the whole thing without all the excuses people make for why he's good. Petty I know but it would be fun to see him succeed under these circumstances.
Me too. But it's well known that I am petty and a ridiculously huge fan of Wilson.

Ozzy

Reaction score
You're not alone. I find myself cheering Anthony on regularly when he's telling someone how great Wilson is.

Polaris

Reaction score
I'm not so sure our passing game (as great as it's been lately) will be enough to make it to the Superb-Owl. That said, I don't think it will need to be. I do think our passing game is more than good enough with even a mediocre run game to beat (and beat handily) the likes of Cleveland and St Louis, and that will be enough to punch our ticket into the playoffs. At that point, I think that Lynch will be able to return to the team. Lynch may not be quite the back he was a year ago or even as good as Rawls was this year, but he should be plenty good enough when combined with our passing game to make serious noise in the playoffs.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
austinslater25":2ha8p56g said:
You're not alone. I find myself cheering Anthony on regularly when he's telling someone how great Wilson is.
I won't go that far. :stirthepot:

But I'd love to see if Coleman could be our man. If so I'd sqee big time and I bet our Arizona fans would pee their pants. Personally I like surf dudes but Carson is kind of last decade.....

RiverDog

Reaction score
IMO the passing game alone will not get us to the SB. We've seen what this offense is like without a viable running threat, and it ain't pretty. I do like scotty's suggestion about going to the spread as we do have the personnel, but my concern is that the spread is high risk, and we'll be starting an unfamiliar running back.

At this point, I don't think we change a thing about our offense. I'd count on someone stepping up and filling at least some of Rawls productivity.

We are fortunate in that we have two home games against two teams with losing records to get this thing figured out. Beast ought to be back by the playoffs, maybe even for that last regular season game in the desert, and with the way things are going, we can afford to lose one game and still get a wild card, perhaps even the 5th seed.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
Losing Rawls is a HUGE blow to the Hawks chances - but it's not fatal.

Other players will have to step up, mostly the receivers. #89 and #16 need to be amazing. And, the Defense has to be great again.

Wilson's running numbers will probably go up, too.

Bevell should watch tape of the Denver Broncos from the mid 1980's. Elway had no running game to speak of - instead, he scrambled around, threw the long ball, and used the draw play to great advantage.

chris98251

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":3qgex8sp said:
Losing Rawls is a HUGE blow to the Hawks chances - but it's not fatal.

Other players will have to step up, mostly the receivers. #89 and #16 need to be amazing. And, the Defense has to be great again.

Wilson's running numbers will probably go up, too.

Bevell should watch tape of the Denver Brincos from the mid 1980's. Elway had no running game to speak of - instead, he scrambled around, threw the long ball, and used the draw play to great advantage.

Didn't Elway also get beat up doing that?

I don't doubt we use the read option more, but that is dependent also on respecting the RB, if the RB doesn't get any respect they key on Wilson.

I would simply shift to the use of the I formation more and shift to a split back with Jackson as a receiver and blocker and Coleman as a RB.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Or create a fake read-option to the right where they keep the defender in to spy either Russell or the RB, and he bootlegs a throw to ADB just behind them all for a first down. Then when they bite on that, RW runs for a TD.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RiverDog":32xadreq said:
IMO the passing game alone will not get us to the SB. We've seen what this offense is like without a viable running threat, and it ain't pretty. I do like scotty's suggestion about going to the spread as we do have the personnel, but my concern is that the spread is high risk, and we'll be starting an unfamiliar running back.

At this point, I don't think we change a thing about our offense. I'd count on someone stepping up and filling at least some of Rawls productivity.

We are fortunate in that we have two home games against two teams with losing records to get this thing figured out. Beast ought to be back by the playoffs, maybe even for that last regular season game in the desert, and with the way things are going, we can afford to lose one game and still get a wild card, perhaps even the 5th seed.
That's all good and well. Except after Cleveland we play the Rams. They hate us and seem to play beyond what is possible. And then there is Arizona.

Look, I hate Arizona but unlike St. Louis they are pretty good. Luckily it looks like 10-6 win get you in. And it won't be fun if a healthy Marshaun is back. It's a slam dunk if we have somebody that can run a little but do we?

Seafan

Reaction score
Lynch will be back against the Rams or Cards. I remember the last time we played Cleveland without Marshawn. I don't think we'll see the same outcome.