I totally forgot Wagner was out against Carolina this year..

2_0_6

Reaction score
I re-read the notes and stats from the Panthers game earlier in the year this afternoon, and for some reason I completely forgot that we did not have Wagner that game. Gives me even more hope we will play them tough next week. :thirishdrinkers:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wagner will be a HUGE advantage in this game. He is a Cam Spy and is very capable of shutting Cam down when he tries to run.

We got this.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":tyzdah6e said:
I re-read the notes and stats from the Panthers game earlier in the year this afternoon, and for some reason I completely forgot that we did not have Wagner that game. Gives me even more hope we will play them tough next week. :thirishdrinkers:

Cam killed us with seam routes in the 4th. Williams did not play well.

I think we win this one. If we had Rawls I'd actually put big money on it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2b0whc1g said:
It took you that long to figure out why Carolina was putting together 80 yard drives against us with bullshit? Not going to happen this time around. We have a date with some AFC team not located in Denver in Santa Clara February 7th.

I think Kansas City can beat New England because they have the pass rush but they will have to be on their A game for sure. If Antonio Brown is playing Pittsburgh has a very good shot at Denver. If not I don't see it officiating be damned.

BigMeach

Reaction score
We also had Cary Williams playing and no Lane, believe we had Shead but with Williams playing I doubt he saw playing time.

HawkGANG

Reaction score
Laloosh":30e8c4d8 said:
Hawk_Nation":30e8c4d8 said:

What if we have Lynch?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Very true. Cam got a reprieve with Wagner out, but Russ still had to deal with Kuechly. Both teams really tough to beat this year. The game should be a ballet royal, as usual. The only x-factor is how much did the Minn game take out of our D? Pete will have to be smart about their reps this week, especially since the Cats are coming off of the ol' first-round bye.

Laloosh

Reaction score
HawkGANG":26s44hwr said:
Laloosh":26s44hwr said:
Hawk_Nation":26s44hwr said:

What if we have Lynch?

Complete mystery to me. I wasn't big on what he did this season so I wouldn't be as excited by the prospect.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Laloosh":14yhfzcg said:
Hawk_Nation":14yhfzcg said:

What if we have Lynch?[/quote]

Looking at his 'production' before getting injured, what Lynch will bring is still an unknown this season. Were the below-average performances wholly because of poor blocking, or were they because he's declining at age 30? We'll find out if/when we get him back.

sutz

Reaction score
BigMeach":14z2p5lo said:
We also had Cary Williams playing and no Lane, believe we had Shead but with Williams playing I doubt he saw playing time.
I'm pretty sure Shead played some nickel. Wasn't this about the time we benched Cary Williams? Maybe the very game? I don't really remember exactly when we went to Shead over Williams. But that was a move in the right direction.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
sutz":3k3t0r4b said:
BigMeach":3k3t0r4b said:
I'm pretty sure Shead played some nickel. Wasn't this about the time we benched Cary Williams? Maybe the very game? I don't really remember exactly when we went to Shead over Williams. But that was a move in the right direction.
No Williams was benched before the Stealers game I believe.

blkhwk

Reaction score
I believe Shead replaced Williams during the second SF game.

ctrcat

Reaction score
A few differences, with varying degrees of good and bad. Wagner, Clark, Hill were out, now in. Johnson (DE), Allen (DE), Klein (LB), Finnegan (CB), Daryl Williams (OT), and McClain (CB), likewise, were out, now in.

Graham (who had a monster day), Rawls, C. Williams, Lynch (?), were in now out. Tillman and Benwikere for the Panthers.

Ironically the Panthers had the exact same yards per play in last year's playoff game as they did in October's game, with Stewart actually having more YPC with Wagner in the game.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Wonder if the national media will make as big a deal about that as they did about the missing Vikings from the first game. Not holding my breath.

As somebody said though, I think have Williams replaced will be a bigger deal.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Overall, we have Wagner, and our OL and secondary are playing much better than when we first played Carolina.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
A few things, Williams was benched vs Arizona or San Fran.

I dont know how much this changes things but not only was Wagner out but Jon Stewart had one of the best games by an RB against this defense this season.

Now the situation is kind of flipped, Wagner is healthy and playing somewhere between very good to 2nd team All-Pro level.

Stewart will be back after missing 3 games but his foot is questionable until we see what he can do on it.

But remember this is a defense that shut down Adrian Peterson twice.

Lane also makes a big difference. That guy is a gamer... Hes not shut down... But he can make plays and allow Thomas to play his game, which allows Kam to play his, which allows Sherman to play his.

Polaris

Reaction score
As I recall, Cary Williams was benched in the third qtr of our home NIners game (week 11 I think) after he gave up an easy TD (and made Gabbert look like a real NFL QB). It was one blown coverage too many for Pete who benched him for the rest of the game, and he didn't see the field since (and was off the team two weeks later).

MrHoenhiem

Reaction score
Yeah Panther's DB situation is totally different. Bene Benwikere was a rising solid young cornerback who is out for the season now, and Tillman was old but had some very nice plays for us creating fumbles and playing overall solid defense and brought lot of veteran leadership and experience to our secondary.

Right now there is basically Josh Norman , Kurt Coleman , and a bunch of nobodies in the secondary. Which really means all Wilson needs to do is stay away from norman and throw intermediate passes to the opposite side of the field.

Luke and Davis are usually pretty solid in covering short passes, not often teams have short completions on us that go for crazy YAC because our linebackers are fast and very good tacklers usually. But all bets are off when you start zooming passes over their heads they can't cover the whole field being Linebackers.

Its going to be interesting to see if either team can get a good running game going. that might be very key in opening up play action and big plays down the field for either team if you can get the defense to respect a run game that isn't being stopped. Stewart is kinda question mark right now its expected for him to be back but he's been out of football games for somewhere near an entire month so who knows how good he'll be coming back from injury.