When salaries become guaranteed

HawkGA

Reaction score
Does this do anything to the salary cap space? I thought at one time at least that guaranteed money was spread out over the life of the contract. So does Sherman's, Earl's, and Wilson's newly guaranteed money change the cap picture?

sutz

Reaction score
Are you saying there has been a change to the salary cap rules?

drdiags

Reaction score
It doesn't change the Cap picture, it just locks in the cost of the players. It isn't anything new just part of the deal when it was negotiated. As Joel Curry mentions as he announces players whose salary for the season becomes guaranteed, when the deal was originally signed the player's base salaries were only guaranteed for injury. They convert to guaranteed based on how their agents negotiated the deal.

Every season there are players whose salary becomes guaranteed by the 3rd/4th/etc day of the new season. This is incentive for teams to either opt out or let the guarantees convert. It helps the players since it forces teams to declare earlier in the offseason as to what their intentions are and the player can join the FA pool before the big contracts are given out.

EDIT: I guess technically you could say it impacts the salary cap, because soft numbers become hardened in the case of the players whose salaries are guaranteed. But the projected costs (using the assumption the players in question would have been on the week 1 roster) remain the same. Just guaranteed quicker than the week 1 freeze date.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Most guaranteed money is guaranteed for injury only, and doesn't become fully guaranteed until a few days into the waiver period for that year.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":3r267tbt said:
Are you saying there has been a change to the salary cap rules?

No, not a change. I thought signing bonuses and guaranteed salaries were spread over the life of the contract so if a contract became guaranteed (as is part of the contracts for some of the players) I thought it might lower this year's cap number (in exchange obviously for higher cap numbers in future years).

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
drdiags":12hlb6kk said:
It doesn't change the Cap picture, it just locks in the cost of the players. It isn't anything new just part of the deal when it was negotiated. As Joel Curry mentions as he announces players whose salary for the season becomes guaranteed, when the deal was originally signed the player's base salaries were only guaranteed for injury. They convert to guaranteed based on how their agents negotiated the deal.

Every season there are players whose salary becomes guaranteed by the 3rd/4th/etc day of the new season. This is incentive for teams to either opt out or let the guarantees convert. It helps the players since it forces teams to declare earlier in the offseason as to what their intentions are and the player can join the FA pool before the big contracts are given out.

EDIT: I guess technically you could say it impacts the salary cap, because soft numbers become hardened in the case of the players whose salaries are guaranteed. But the projected costs (using the assumption the players in question would have been on the week 1 roster) remain the same. Just guaranteed quicker than the week 1 freeze date.

Thank you for the explanation. So I'm guessing to accomplish (not saying they would want to, just functionally) to spread the guaranteed money out over the life of the contract would be to turn it into a bonus, rather than a guarantee.

drdiags

Reaction score
Yep, that is my thinking HawkGA. Those who know all the details of cap management have my respect. It is a game within a game that helps further cloud moves teams have to make that I just observe as a layman and try to figure out why.

mikeak

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2fwfibbw said:
Most guaranteed money is guaranteed for injury only, and doesn't become fully guaranteed until a few days into the waiver period for that year.

Some not most

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkGA":3lbjxzdi said:
drdiags":3lbjxzdi said:

Thank you for the explanation. So I'm guessing to accomplish (not saying they would want to, just functionally) to spread the guaranteed money out over the life of the contract would be to turn it into a bonus, rather than a guarantee.

Yes
Chicago has over the last couple of years put in contracts that the team can without talking to the player conver guaranteed money to signing bonuses. This how they create cap space

It is one reason why I like where Seattle is sitting. Besides the cap space we haven't really been doing funny math to create more cap space. It means we aren't mortgaging the future but it also does leave the option open to do so if they elect.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Signing bonuses are typically spread out over the length of the contract, but not to exceed 5 years.

Guaranteed money comes in different forms. One form is a signing bonus. It is the only form of guaranteed money that can be spread over the length of the contract.