Happy Memorial Day

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the kind of post Les would have put up hours ago so I am doing it in his honor, and of course the honor of all of those who bravely gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy the banter and community as Seahawks fans on a message board from the comforts of our home.

Tumblr mw4belBsfB1r9khx4o9 1280

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
13322211_10206696804722214_7006047818371250225_n.jpg

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
A huge thank you to those that made the ultimate sacrifice for this country. Also a huge thanks to those of you that served this country.

An old saying my grandfather a WWII vet used to say, "you can hate the war, but love the warrior". He's been gone for 20 years and would have been 101 in August. I went and visited him and grandma at the crematorium today. An awesome sight seeing all of the American flags flapping in the wind outside.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sac":16nvdz9s said:
It shouldn't be a "happy" day, I don't think.

Sure it should.

When I'm gone I would hope that people remember me with happy thoughts and by having a good time. I'm sure that most would feel the same way.

Sac

Reaction score
JSeahawks":oej5q5gi said:
Sac":oej5q5gi said:

Sure it should.

When I'm gone I would hope that people remember me with happy thoughts and by having a good time. I'm sure that most would feel the same way.
I don't know. My four years ended in October, 2001. But I have a number of friends that never came back from Iraq and Afghanistan. They died fighting for each other, but they didn't die defending freedom of any sort. They died for money, and power, and greed. And it pisses me off every time I see one of those memes saying our soldiers died defending our freedom. Because they didn't. That hasn't been the mission since WWII.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Happy Memorial Day

To all those serving or have served in the military - Thank you for all you do...Happy Memorial Day!

A

Anonymous

I lost an uncle in Vietnam when I was 9.

First burnout I ever experienced was in his 1664 Chevy Impala.

Gametime

Reaction score
Sac":22un3j0g said:
JSeahawks":22un3j0g said:
Sac":22un3j0g said:

Sure it should.

I don't know. My four years ended in October, 2001. But I have a number of friends that never came back from Iraq and Afghanistan. They died fighting for each other, but they didn't die defending freedom of any sort. They died for money, and power, and greed. And it pisses me off every time I see one of those memes saying our soldiers died defending our freedom. Because they didn't. That hasn't been the mission since WWII.

As a disabled combat veteran (Marine Corps infantry) I think it's not that simple. The fight may not have been directly for American Freedom but you can't argue with the fact that the oppression many faced in Iraq and Afganistan was appaling and their freedom was being fought for. War blows. It is a failure of humanity pure and simple. Yes there is greed and money and politics involved as that's part of life. I do not celebrate war or conflict but am proud to have served with men who, when called on, did their jobs very well. I met plenty of people who had been tortured and oppressed by evil men and their appreciation will never leave my memory.

Memorial day is great but for those who have buried friends, children, or parents it's just got more of a sobering appreciation feel than one of joy. Hug your kids, drink your beers, and pray that someday war becomes a memory of history and not a constant state of existence.

And go Hawks.

Sac

Reaction score
Gametime":kyh7k262 said:
Sac":kyh7k262 said:
JSeahawks":kyh7k262 said:
Sac":kyh7k262 said:

Sure it should.

As a disabled combat veteran (Marine Corps infantry) I think it's not that simple. The fight may not have been directly for American Freedom but you can't argue with the fact that the oppression many faced in Iraq and Afganistan was appaling and their freedom was being fought for. War blows. It is a failure of humanity pure and simple. Yes there is greed and money and politics involved as that's part of life. I do not celebrate war or conflict but am proud to have served with men who, when called on, did their jobs very well. I met plenty of people who had been tortured and oppressed by evil men and their appreciation will never leave my memory.

Memorial day is great but for those who have buried friends, children, or parents it's just got more of a sobering appreciation feel than one of joy. Hug your kids, drink your beers, and pray that someday war becomes a memory of history and not a constant state of existence.

And go Hawks.
Well said. And there are exceptions. But overall, we as a nation, as well as the people of Iraq and Afghanistan would've been better off if we never went there.

Gametime

Reaction score
I will also add that when someone says "fighting for our freedom", I would say that applies 100%. When someone joins the military they are surrendering their lives and rights to join a group dedicated to preserving the safety of this nation. We didn't choose the fight. We didn't get a say in the theater we fought in or the reasons why. But many lost their lives in the service of our Armed Forces and THAT is noble no matter how you cut it. Period.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sac":2m7gg648 said:
JSeahawks":2m7gg648 said:
Sac":2m7gg648 said:

Sure it should.

Well, thank you for your service, and to your buddies who fell as well, whatever the cause.

Gametime

Reaction score
I do agree somewhat Sac. It's war. There are no perfect solutions. No real winners. That we can 100% agree on. My point is that it shouldn't take anything from the sacrifice men and woman have and will pay to be a part of our Armed Forces. That's all.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sac":21mk4ol0 said:
Gametime":21mk4ol0 said:
Sac":21mk4ol0 said:
JSeahawks":21mk4ol0 said:
Sac said:

Sure it should.

And go Hawks.
Well said. And there are exceptions. But overall, we as a nation, as well as the people of Iraq and Afghanistan would've been better off if we never went there.
I don't want to get into a PWR debate because this isn't the place. We just hired a guy who spent a ton of time in the middle east and his rendition of what they people want and think of us is vastly different. Maybe a discussion for another time. Here's a thank you to you and every other veteran who served our country.

Sac

Reaction score
Gametime":3uqtmwqk said:
I do agree somewhat Sac. It's war. There are no perfect solutions. No real winners. That we can 100% agree on. My point is that it shouldn't take anything from the sacrifice men and woman have and will pay to be a part of our Armed Forces. That's all.
I'll agree with that. I'd just like for people to be more reflective on the cost of war and perhaps reevaluate their priorities when it comes to sending us into combat.

The overly patriotic nonsense just because is what I find irritating.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This topic sucks because it sounds like people care, and at the same time the word happy makes it clear a lot of people only care on the surface.

And I am sure they do care but they don't CARE enough to demand better.

I served with friends that went to the Gulf war, mine was Somalia (which does not count as a war but I count anything you are getting shot at and having to shoot back at groups of armed men). What I always notice is people are willing to wave the flags and put the yellow ribbons on their cars - but in the same breath they are acutely aware that kids come home missing pieces because of risks OTHER PEOPLE took with their lives...and we are OK giving them substandard care.

Vets get the shaft.

They get salutes and holidays, but get paid barely enough to support their families and when they come back injured they get the lowest standard care provided by the lowest bidder. They get to deal with PTSD and all the rest - but rarely get much in quality assistance because we rarely allocate the appropriate budgets to help fix people our own national decision & policies damaged. And that isn't a political issue, both parties screw Vets.

The fact that VA is almost synonymous with crappy care/service should show you where the budget priorities are. And with priorities like that - this country has NOT earned the right to pretend it cares about its vets.

It does when it is convenient, pretty much it.

A few people I was in the service with ended up deployed in Gulf War I & II. Most of them joined for the freaking college fund. But they were forced to take the "anti-chemical warfare" (not sure if they were protection against nerve agents or biological agents).

Of course those pills were not adequately tested, they were rushed to the troops and someone made a mint selling that crap to them. They even had sent orders down for squad leaders to check to be SURE that people actually took the pills. So what happened? Well, all the people I know that took the pills? Ended up with "Gulf War Syndrome" (google it up) which they blamed on burning toxins in the air. All the people I know that did not take those pills? Didn't get it.

So how much did we "care" about our troops that we were willing to A) push untested meds on them & B) Not even disclose the real causes of their illnesses so they could get help? God knows the shady crap they did to guys in Iraq/Afghanistan but I am betting that two things happened:

1 - Some companies made a mint selling crap to the military that was substandard
2 - Soldiers ended up hurt/damaged because of it.

Because for over 10 years, kids have been getting shot at while someone is making money selling crap to the military.

I get it feels good to actually notice that at any point in the past few years we have had soldiers out there in a war zone while, at the same time, we were out at a strip mall complaining that our pizza was taking too long to cook. At least noticing a few times a year is better than nothing, but if people really cared - there would be a lot more attention paid to paying for things soldiers need when they get home, instead of just trying to keep the money treadmill moving overseas.

Gametime

Reaction score
Sac":1hectjoj said:
Gametime":1hectjoj said:
I'll agree with that. I'd just like for people to be more reflective on the cost of war and perhaps reevaluate their priorities when it comes to sending us into combat.

The overly patriotic nonsense just because is what I find irritating.

Agreed.