Baddest Seahawk So Far?

dogorama

Reaction score

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I find it kind of funny that Ifedi seems to be getting under the skin of Bennett. But on the Webb situation, how do we know that he's really that bad and him moving down the roster doesn't mean something else? Like maybe they wanted to see what other guys look like in that spot, or what combinations of other guys could look like with Hunt in at C.

chris98251

Reaction score
Webb, if Webb could not keep pace with the repetitions that's a indication he isn't in shape or not with the program, either will land you in Cables and or Pete's doghouse faster then anything, Carpenter had that same tag and it cost him playing time as well as reputation as a hard worker. He got it together his last year. If he can't step it up I would not be surprised if he is cut.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1nfqsgpd said:
Webb, if Webb could not keep pace with the repetitions that's a indication he isn't in shape or not with the program, either will land you in Cables and or Pete's doghouse faster then anything, Carpenter had that same tag and it cost him playing time as well as reputation as a hard worker. He got it together his last year. If he can't step it up I would not be surprised if he is cut.

Well if that turns out to be the case in this instance, then it sucks that we guaranteed him the 2.45 mil. Although he's well under some other misplaced contracts..........you all know which I speak of.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":mfxshw35 said:
chris98251":mfxshw35 said:

Well if that turns out to be the case in this instance, then it sucks that we guaranteed him the 2.45 mil. Although he's well under some other misplaced contracts..........you all know which I speak of.

I don't see that at all. Webb, even when he signed, always struck me as an insurance policy type of player. And you have to make those decisions before the draft and before you know what we have.

I'd much rather celebrate the fact that we got a guy who was widely panned nationally (Ifedi) who's turned out way better than anyone thought he might be this early than rue a measly 2.4m contract.

Even at that cost -- Seattle could easily afford to just simply cut him. Not that I expect they will. But really if they choose to keep Webb and cut Sowell instead then who really cares. At that kind of cash, that's barely worse than keeping a year 3 rookie on IR for the season.

Smart hedge move. I would much rather be in a position where we could see that signing as a waste of money (because our draftee looks like he'll be better) than having the hedge be the better option.

For the record, I hope that we do EXACTLY what we did with Webb in the future for any positions of weakness. Get a cheap hedge. But still try to do better later in the draft. It's smart. It's judicious. And the end result of having to not need your insurance policy is a GOOD thing.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
What if Ifedi doesn't move out to tackle though and stays at guard. I get the insurance part though.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":2r9yth7d said:
What if Ifedi doesn't move out to tackle though and stays at guard. I get the insurance part though.

How long have we railed against the gates on how bad Sweezy was?

Seriously, if we get a good guard, and a passable RT -- isn't that a massive upgrade from what we had last year?

Worst case, you've still improved the team at this point.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3f0quux2 said:
RobDaHawk":3f0quux2 said:

How long have we railed against the gates on how bad Sweezy was?

Seriously, if we get a good guard, and a passable RT -- isn't that a massive upgrade from what we had last year?

Worst case, you've still improved the team at this point.

I'm good with that, not trying to argue against you guys. It's more of an informational thing for me. :180670:

HawkGA

Reaction score
In a perfect world, Odhiambo (sp?) earns a spot at guard and GI shows sufficient ability to be a tackle. I feel like there are options at guard, but not much at tackle.

The prospect of last year's 4th round pick (Poole, is it?) earning a spot at tackle is appealing as well.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
That Webb signing was so bad. He's been a bad player his whole career.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I saw Webb play a lot of games while with the Bears, he was never even average, he was bad.
I watched some Raiders games from last year when they signed him. He gets pushed off the line, at which point he stands straight up. The tackle would either bull rush him into the QB, or swim past him.
I'm not sure what the front office was seeing in him?
I think they messed up.
I hope these young guys can come together on the line, even average would be great!

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":16xffef0 said:
So, who is next in line at RT?

Currently it would be Terry Poole or Rees Odhiambo. If we sign Jahri Evans, he would likely play guard and Ifedi would kick out to tackle.

Largent80

Reaction score
Poole has a year on the P.S., so that would be great if he can make the needed improvement. Personally I would like to keep Ifedi at G.

kearly

Reaction score
The first couple weeks of training camp are almost like a second "lying season". Not that these teams want to spread misinformation like they do pre-draft, but there are so many reports that come out this time of year that are either totally bunk or are overly reactionary (good and bad).

That said, I really want to believe these reports on Ifedi. Back before the draft I argued with some about his nastiness in college. I thought Ifedi was one of if not the nastiest O-line prospects in the draft, so I find these reports of him being nasty on the practice field as being 100% believable.

What I love about the guy is that usually nasty players aren't all that bright. See Sapp, Warren. But Ifedi is nasty AND smart, which means he's almost like a troll out there pushing people's buttons and getting in their heads. Kind of like an OL version of Richard Sherman, sorta. I love it.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":3yltyeal said:
The first couple weeks of training camp are almost like a second "lying season". Not that these teams want to spread misinformation like they do pre-draft, but there are so many reports that come out this time of year that are either totally bunk or are overly reactionary (good and bad).

That said, I really want to believe these reports on Ifedi. Back before the draft I argued with some about his nastiness in college. I thought Ifedi was one of if not the nastiest O-line prospects in the draft, so I find these reports of him being nasty on the practice field as being 100% believable.

What I love about the guy is that usually nasty players aren't all that bright. See Sapp, Warren. But Ifedi is nasty AND smart, which means he's almost like a troll out there pushing people's buttons and getting in their heads. Kind of like an OL version of Richard Sherman, sorta. I love it.

Munoz played tackle, but had those same attributes.

Rob12

Reaction score
Gilliam/Glowinski/Britt/Evans/Ifedi

That will be the starting unit for Week 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawks46

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":82u37de5 said:
RobDaHawk":82u37de5 said:
chris98251":82u37de5 said:

I don't see that at all. Webb, even when he signed, always struck me as an insurance policy type of player. And you have to make those decisions before the draft and before you know what we have.

I'd much rather celebrate the fact that we got a guy who was widely panned nationally (Ifedi) who's turned out way better than anyone thought he might be this early than rue a measly 2.4m contract.

Even at that cost -- Seattle could easily afford to just simply cut him. Not that I expect they will. But really if they choose to keep Webb and cut Sowell instead then who really cares. At that kind of cash, that's barely worse than keeping a year 3 rookie on IR for the season.

Smart hedge move. I would much rather be in a position where we could see that signing as a waste of money (because our draftee looks like he'll be better) than having the hedge be the better option.

For the record, I hope that we do EXACTLY what we did with Webb in the future for any positions of weakness. Get a cheap hedge. But still try to do better later in the draft. It's smart. It's judicious. And the end result of having to not need your insurance policy is a GOOD thing.

Good post. I see it the same way: they're trying out guys at RT to see what they have (Ifedi and Odhiambo). It's important for depth and to develop these guys. It's a similar situation witth Lewis last year. We had two other centers getting reps and Lewis was 3rd string. Fact was, he wasn't really 3rd string; they knew what they had in Lewis and were trying to see if they could get a guy with a higher ceiling.

Also, if the reports are true and Webb is out of shape, then maybe they're trying to get Webb in shape while giving younger guys some reps to see what they can do. If it doesn't work out in preseason, Webb slides back in. Problem with that theory is that we just signed Evans, so I think at this point the coaching staff is trying to get the 5 best guys out there, and Webb isn't one of them.