Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/761997769749827584[/tweet]

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I wonder if the new Tight End from Wisconsin Oshkosh (Joe Sommers) is a pilot.

kearly

Reaction score
Helfet broke his foot apparently. And now he's gone. It's funny, I just saw a local car ad where he was imploring us to buy his jersey over Tyler Lockett's.

When he heals up I hope to goes to a team that tries to turn him into a big WR. I think he might have an NFL future at WR, but he was never ever a viable TE.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":11bazcmi said:
Helfet broke his foot apparently. And now he's gone. It's funny, I just saw a local car ad where he was imploring us to buy his jersey over Tyler Lockett's.

When he heals up I hope to goes to a team that tries to turn him into a big WR. I think he might have an NFL future at WR, but he was never ever a viable TE.

Isn't he waived/injured (according to the list posted)? That would mean that assuming he clears waivers, he'd revert to our injured reserve list unless there is some kind of injury settlement. At least that's my understanding of the waived/injured designation

chris98251

Reaction score
Pretty sure that's correct Kid, now it depends on the gentlemen's agreement that is suppose to be in place whether someone else sweeps in and grabs one of these guys, doubt it on this list, but a Prosise on it there is a possibility it might happen. He has a skill set that many teams would want that can't easily be picked up.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
That reminds me. The last guy (Michael Bowie) that was claimed injured (by the Browns) never paid off and was placed on a reserve/retired list. Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/8/5/12391462/ot-michael-bowie-retires-browns-sign-dl-kenton-adeyemi[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Guess there is room for one more.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762017411851694080[/tweet]

Make that two more transactions >>>
"Seahawks Sign Guard Jahri Evans, Waive G Kona Schwenke" >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/08/06/seahawks-sign-guard-jahri-evans-waive-g-kona-schwenke[/urltargetblank]

kearly

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ggjyhrp said:
Isn't he waived/injured (according to the list posted)? That would mean that assuming he clears waivers, he'd revert to our injured reserve list unless there is some kind of injury settlement. At least that's my understanding of the waived/injured designation

All of that is correct however I think the odds of him being IR'd are almost zero. Helfet is a UFA next season so paying the extra money to IR would provide the team no benefit. The only possible reason they would IR him for football reasons would be if they wanted to use their designated to return option on him, but that seems extremely unlikely to me.

An injury settlement would likely be less money than choosing IR since a broken foot in August usually isn't considered season ending (a broken foot is typically a 6 to 8 week recovery period). Let's say it's 8 weeks, that would have him back by October 1st, just before Seattle's week 4 game against the Jets. If he recovered in 6 weeks, he'd be back as soon as week 2. So he's basically looking at being out only 1 to 3 games. Injury settlements are based on projected game checks missed, so Helfet's injury settlement would only be a tiny fraction of his IR cost. The difference between a 3 game check settlement and paying his full salary via IR is a difference of $487,500 in cap space. That's a lot of money to light on fire for a player who won't even be roster protected when the season is over.

It's possible they might IR him to do him a solid, putting a little extra cash in his pocket. They did that for some player a couple years ago, I'm forgetting who. But in terms of football reasoning, going the settlement route is clearly the way to go.

He might be back with the team next training camp on a minimum 1 year deal. But I would be shocked if they put him on IR since as explained it doesn't pass the cost/benefit test.

Either way, he's not going to play another down in Seattle without signing a new contract. And I personally don't think he'll get one.

kearly

Reaction score
Jville":3vclfd5f said:
Guess there is room for one more.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762017411851694080[/tweet]

Make that two more transactions >>>
"Seahawks Sign Guard Jahri Evans, Waive G Kona Schwenke" >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/08/06/seahawks-sign-guard-jahri-evans-waive-g-kona-schwenke[/urltargetblank]

I'm guessing he didn't cost all that much given the lack of league interest. I like it. His all-pro days are way behind him, but the Seahawks OL sorely needed to add experience and Evans seems like a natural scheme fit.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Helfet should have been gone a long time ago. He's absolutely useless as a TE.
The surprise for me is that they dropped Tre Madden and David Perkins both guys who had glowing reports after minicamp. They're gone after the 1st week...wow!

McGruff

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2jbyjsa7 said:
The surprise for me is that they dropped Tre Madden and David Perkins both guys who had glowing reports after minicamp. They're gone after the 1st week...wow!

Injuries.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
hawkfan68":jl360t5e said:
Umm, they were injured and couldn't play, thus the waived/injured designation, what do you expect? You're making it sound like they just cut Germain Ifedi and Jarran Reed because they didn't like what they were seeing from them on the field after a week. And there were never any "glowing reports" on Madden or Perkins from OTA's either, let's not re-write history here.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":2rbuj1in said:
kidhawk":2rbuj1in said:

All of that is correct however I think the odds of him being IR'd are almost zero. Helfet is a UFA next season so paying the extra money to IR would provide the team no benefit. The only possible reason they would IR him for football reasons would be if they wanted to use their designated to return option on him, but that seems extremely unlikely to me.

An injury settlement would likely be less money than choosing IR since a broken foot in August usually isn't considered season ending (a broken foot is typically a 6 to 8 week recovery period). Let's say it's 8 weeks, that would have him back by October 1st, just before Seattle's week 4 game against the Jets. If he recovered in 6 weeks, he'd be back as soon as week 2. So he's basically looking at being out only 1 to 3 games. Injury settlements are based on projected game checks missed, so Helfet's injury settlement would only be a tiny fraction of his IR cost. The difference between a 3 game check settlement and paying his full salary via IR is a difference of $487,500 in cap space. That's a lot of money to light on fire for a player who won't even be roster protected when the season is over.

It's possible they might IR him to do him a solid, putting a little extra cash in his pocket. They did that for some player a couple years ago, I'm forgetting who. But in terms of football reasoning, going the settlement route is clearly the way to go.

He might be back with the team next training camp on a minimum 1 year deal. But I would be shocked if they put him on IR since as explained it doesn't pass the cost/benefit test.

Either way, he's not going to play another down in Seattle without signing a new contract. And I personally don't think he'll get one.

Sucks for Helfet, but really I think his only chance of making the team was Jimmy Graham not being ready to go in Week 1. His fate seemed pretty sealed after the Vannett pick.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1la2ckz5 said:
I think he might have an NFL future at WR

Totally serious. Big body, wide catch radius. Decent enough speed. He'd be a good blocker by WR standards. If he dropped a little weight, he would have similar physical potential to Erik Decker or Kelvin Benjamin.

Of course, I'd give it like a 1% chance of that ever happening, but physically, the potential is there.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":3dcfos4m said:
Hawkstorian":3dcfos4m said:
I think he might have an NFL future at WR

Totally serious. Big body, wide catch radius. Decent enough speed. He'd be a good blocker by WR standards. If he dropped a little weight, he would have similar physical potential to Erik Decker or Kelvin Benjamin.

Of course, I'd give it like a 1% chance of that ever happening, but physically, the potential is there.

He might not be as fast as Benjamin (who's not all that fast), but he's easily as fast as that plodding kid that played TE for Michigan that they drafted. Totally forgetting his name, but Helfet could do that.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
[youtube]TNHFk_XDXgE[/youtube]

Because of this play, I'll never forget Cooper.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
hawkfan68":rdf7p7y5 said:

They are hurt. If they clear waivers we can put them on IR. Basically red shirt them.

And "glowing reports" from camps should be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone looks good in camp. True assessments don't happen until game situations.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ Sure enough ......

[tweet]https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/762387531698544640[/tweet]