What surprises you more, Britt or Michael?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Which turnaround is most unexpected? I think I have to say Michael, atleast Britt was starting the last 2 years. Michael got cut by Dallas and Washington.

But on the other side, Michael should probably slide into a reserve roll while our Guard/Center/Guard combo might actually be a strength for us not just the "passable or average" we were desperately hoping for!

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Can I reserve my judgement for after Britt has to face a murder's row of DT coming up?

DJrmb

Reaction score
For me I have to say Britt. Michael was a guy that everyone always knew had the talent and the physical ability to be a + RB. Britt was someone people questioned from the day he was drafted, and until now has been proving everyone right that said he was a mistake in the draft.

Seafan

Reaction score
Cable has proven he can make decent players out of forgotten athletes. Britt was a good college lineman who was athletic and smart enough to play LT in a major conference. He doesn't have the feet for tackle in the NFL but he's still smart and very strong. This is the strongest/stoutest interior three the Hawks have ever had.

After seeing Michael last year I'm not surprised. He's a great athlete who is putting it all together finally in this system.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Michael always had the talent and he showed it at the end of last year, the only thing surprising is that he's still managing to build on that success and become better. Britt was absolutely sub-par last year and now he suddenly looks decent, never expected that. So definitely Britt.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DJrmb":20tg69ce said:
For me I have to say Britt. Michael was a guy that everyone always knew had the talent and the physical ability to be a + RB. Britt was someone people questioned from the day he was drafted, and until now has been proving everyone right that said he was a mistake in the draft.
This for me too.

kobebryant

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":24s7wwhb said:
Can I reserve my judgement for after Britt has to face a murder's row of DT coming up?

I'd wait a little longer than that. Interior olinemen aren't physically built to handle the likes of Donald and Suh, those two dominate everyone - good and bad. Even teams with really good centers have to expect to take the L in those matchups and try to win the game in other ways.

dogorama

Reaction score
It's a tough question for sure but the point about Britt having started the last two years makes sense to me. Michael has made a dramatic turnaround but that is out of pure desperation, I question his work ethic.

Other than that I am w/the other posters who think it is too early to make a decision.

Largent80

Reaction score
Michael actually showed improvement last year so it's not a surprise to me. Britt has been not so good for 2 years so for him it's either upward or outta here.

kearly

Reaction score
Not surprised by Michael at all. He had a career YPC in the NFL around 4.7 when Seattle cut him the first time, he always had the ability to run, it was his fuzziness on the details, and perhaps his attitude, that rubbed coaches the wrong way. When Michael returned to the team late last season he was impressive immediately.

With Britt, he's always been a plus run blocker. Previous to this year his big flaw deals with blitz pickups and stunts. This preseason he's been pretty good at blitz pickups for the most part. I saw him miss on a stunt that led to a pressure-throwaway and a punt in the 1st game. But it's preseason and he's not really seeing anything close to what he's going to see in real games, so the jury is probably out on him until week 3 or 4 of the regular season.

As far as his ability to make line calls, has he been making them or is Russell doing it?

I didn't really expect Britt to make this roster a month ago and the move to center seemed like a hail Mary. The fact that he's now a lock to be the starting center to start the year makes him the biggest surprise of the preseason so far. Whether or not we'll still think he's good in two months is TBD.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I'm reserving any excitement about progress for the regular season. As Jeff Fisher explained on "Hard Knocks," with all of the non-contact rules dictating practices now, the Preseason is more akin to what practices used to be than anything else.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Britt at all yet. Suh and Donald will really show where he's at.

Michael had this potential from Day 1, he just finally got his head screwed on straight. Reminds me a bit of Mike Williams in the early Pete days.. Hopefully Michael keeps it going longer than a season though.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well until we get the tackles settled we run from Guard to Guard really well now, agree with Michael eval, kid was a freak athletically but had wax between the ears, seems like Dallas and Washington have a great cleansing treatment for that, when he came back he was focused and almost desperate in the sense it was swirling in the toilet bowl as far as his career.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Compared to where both were when last season ended . . . Britt. But both are playing great football.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Michael return last year and did pretty well down the stretch, whereas Britt was moved again, and again and to a position most said if he can't play the other position what makes him play the toughest O-line position. So I'm more surprised that Britt snagged that job right from Lewis.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm reserving judgement on Britt until the regular season. This is preseason after all. That said:

Michael showed he could do it last year, so coming in it wasn't a surprise. The surprise was that he was able to remain consistent and not fall back into bad habits. He lacked work ethic and maturity, and his field vision was lacking. Many guys never get that field vision and it's impossible to tell when, how, or if guys will.

I'd say Michael is a bigger surprise, unless Britt comes out and becomes a top 5 Center in the regular season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Smellyman":2fmyde4t said:
Britt for sure.

Michael has been a preseason star before.

Yes he has, but he is doing it different, before he would make runs around the edge and stutter and get caught going up the middle, now he is running with power and making reads and cuts as he gets thru the line up the middle. Same player better skills.