Could Justin Britt Be a Cap Casualty?

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29f5evg8 said:
If we had a decent line, then yes Pete and John would SERIOUSLY consider cutting Britt and not picking up his option.

But I can't see any scenario where we can afford to let Britt go, even if he did regress this year and probably doesn't deserve his contract anymore. Our line's already in shambles, no way we let the only other stable player than Brown go.

I can absolutely see a scenario where Britt is gone.

Sign a starting guard in FA.

Draft a guard.

Slide Pocic to C.

In reality, though, I see him on the team this year. However not sure i’d put my money where my mouth is and bet money on it. Then again I wouldn’t bet money on any player 100% being on the team this season barring Russ and Bobby.

hawk45

Reaction score
If I were going to make excuses for Cable, and I'm not inclined to, I would point to the back-to-back offseasons that we let 2 starters walk simultaneously in FA, causing Cable to have to shuffle 3 or more positions on the line to find the least-worst fit for all the unprovens.

First it was Carp-Unger. Then it was Sweezy-Okung.

Individually, letting go of each player was perfectly defensible, either due to injury history or simply not playing well enough to warrant a second contract which would inevitably result in a slight-to-moderate overpay. However, replacing those 2+ holes in back-to-back seasons DESTROYED our line. Yes Cable was at fault for not grooming players to be worth a second contract, yes Cable was presumably involved in the decision to let them go. At the very least when they asked Cable if it would be okay he nodded yes when he should have been pouring gasoline on himself and threatening to light a match. But after those 2 offseasons the lesson I took was, if you have to overpay on *one* player to prevent the shuffling at 3 or more positions, you do it gladly.

We can quibble on "solid" vs "average" or whatever but Britt was getting pro-bowl consideration last year and was starter-level this year. We are looking at George Fant off an injury at LT, who-knows-what at LG, who-knows-what at RG, and please-God-not-Ifedi at RT.

I agree that Pocic may be best-suited for Center but too bad, that was just a dumb draft move then, because it is suicidal to hold open tryouts at the only position we have any confidence in whatsoever. I would much, much rather see Pocic be depth and/or continue to play temporarily at OG while they evaluate him and Britt.

This is a totally different conversation 1 year from now after we have more data on Britt, Pocic, and Solari. Now if (unlike Cable) Solari is able to make evaluations of players without needing 8 regular-season games first and Solari is comfortable rolling with Pocic, that's a different story. That's possible. But if I'm JS and Pete I'm urging Solari to give them the conservative estimate. Because we saw what happened when Cable blew sunshine up their butts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":3vj3ycz7 said:
Sgt. Largent":3vj3ycz7 said:
If we had a decent line, then yes Pete and John would SERIOUSLY consider cutting Britt and not picking up his option.

But I can't see any scenario where we can afford to let Britt go, even if he did regress this year and probably doesn't deserve his contract anymore. Our line's already in shambles, no way we let the only other stable player than Brown go.

Draft a guard.

Slide Pocic to C.

In reality, though, I see him on the team this year. However not sure i’d put my money where my mouth is and bet money on it. Then again I wouldn’t bet money on any player 100% being on the team this season barring Russ and Bobby.

Maybe, but IMO we need a good veteran guard anyway. Taking Britt out and putting Pocic at center is at BEST a lateral move at improving an already bad line............and quite possibly making it worse.

I'd agree with you if this was next year when we hopefully have the line shored up. But for 2018? No, I think we have no choice but to keep Britt, at least for one more year to see if he bounces back and we can get some stability.

Remember, new line coach, new coordinator, etc. That's a LOT of change if you're kicking Britt to the curb.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":5enkq1f8 said:
original poster":5enkq1f8 said:
Sgt. Largent":5enkq1f8 said:

Draft a guard.

Slide Pocic to C.

Maybe, but IMO we need a good veteran guard anyway. Taking Britt out and putting Pocic at center is at BEST a lateral move at improving an already bad line............and quite possibly making it worse.

I'd agree with you if this was next year when we hopefully have the line shored up. But for 2018? No, I think we have no choice but to keep Britt, at least for one more year to see if he bounces back and we can get some stability.

Remember, new line coach, new coordinator, etc. That's a LOT of change if you're kicking Britt to the curb.

Yeah I fully agree. Would be an agressive move for sure and I’m pretty sure he will be the starter at C. His option is in March so we’ll know soon enough.

sutz

Reaction score
Britt would probably look a lot better with a couple of decent guards on either side of him. I really don't want to see another rebuild of the O-line this year. All of the shuffling and switching has done no good the past couple of years.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I think they should move Britt back to guard (to pair with Ifedi) and put Pocic in at center.

I think Britt and Ifedi would do really well at guard in Solari's more power oriented ZBS.

hawk45

Reaction score
Mojambo":1wxady2r said:
I think they should move Britt back to guard (to pair with Ifedi) and put Pocic in at center.

I think Britt and Ifedi would do really well at guard in Solari's more power oriented ZBS.

From the standpoint of these 2 having some power I wouldn't mind. From the standpoint of guard being easier than tackle I wouldn't mind. They are a bit tall, although that isn't a dealbreaker.

I just think that giving Britt another year at center to evaluate a hopefully-beefed-up-Pocic who may play guard as he's groomed for center is the more conservative play. I don't see the downside to working Pocic in at C as the season goes along as Solari gets a feel. If you approach it that way, you can swap Pocic and Britt in some game where we're up by a lot of points (haha) instead of gambling on the swap right away even if it's Aaron Donald across the LOS.

Because shuffling the C position when it is set, to where if it doesn't work out you have an emergency re-shuffle mid-season, just feels like the sort of seat-of-the-pants approach that has had our lines a mess until 8 games in.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I hope that they are paying Solari a ton of money because that man has a big job ahead of him. The cupboard is relatively bare and there isn't much to build on.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":wscjz9a9 said:
I hope that they are paying Solari a ton of money because that man has a big job ahead of him. The cupboard is relatively bare and there isn't much to build on.

The task looks less daunting when you start plugging actual football players in at the positions they have experience at playing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1aigh9qd said:
oldhawkfan":1aigh9qd said:

The task looks less daunting when you start plugging actual football players in at the positions they have experience at playing.

And using techniques that fit their body and abilities.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3bqlh2tl said:
Seanhawk":3bqlh2tl said:
oldhawkfan":3bqlh2tl said:

You mean don't do this crap???

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunOHara60/status/912372456245141504[/tweet]

original poster

Reaction score
Seymour":3ioz2dcv said:
chris98251":3ioz2dcv said:
Seanhawk":3ioz2dcv said:
oldhawkfan":3ioz2dcv said:

You mean don't do this crap???

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunOHara60/status/912372456245141504[/tweet]

Cable at his greatest, right there.