Kearse playing ahead of Tyler and Richardson

RW92

Reaction score
Does any one agree with me that Kearse may have lost a step. At the end of last season he had a difficult time separating from the defender. Both Tyler L. and Paul Richardson look faster than him and create separation. I think they should play ahead of him.

We will have to see if he is able to produce as hoped for. If not we have to be able to stretch the field and that won't be with Kearse.

Seafan

Reaction score
Kearse knows the system, has a great rapport with RW, and is an outstanding run blocker.

When Tyler and Richardson's contracts come up for renewal that will be the time to move on.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Stretching the field is not Kearse's job. He's never been a speed guy.
He blocks well and comes up with clutch catches, at times whether covered tightly or not. Good chemistry with Russ. I have no worries if he's the "starter"; Lockett and Richardson will play their roles and probably both end with more catches than Kearse.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Definitely not worried about it. Kearse has come through for us in ways no other Seahawks player has, even if it was a circus show when he did it. For me, his postseason highlights are my favorite Seahawks memories. Lockett will get his time on the field, no matter what. You don't leave a player of his caliber on the sidelines.

dogorama

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":348wcb23 said:
Definitely not worried about it. Kearse has come through for us in ways no other Seahawks player has, even if it was a circus show when he did it. For me, his postseason highlights are my favorite Seahawks memories. Lockett will get his time on the field, no matter what. You don't leave a player of his caliber on the sidelines.

:ditto: I don't see how we get to either Super Bowl w/o Kearse's timely great catches.

RussB

Reaction score
Kearse has bailed them out multiple times. He can stay as long as he wants.

Throwdown

Reaction score
He's always had a hard time separating, and always moved like a lineman. But somehow he always makes those plays, I don't get it.

Seafan

Reaction score
Throwdown":r8ebvu9l said:
He's always had a hard time separating, and always moved like a lineman. But somehow he always makes those plays, I don't get it.

Except for when they bounce off his hands.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Starter really means nothing outside of QB, OL and Outside DB.

Everyone else rotates.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ridiculous notions in this thread. He's a glider who's exceptionally strong and rather wide shouldered for a WR and will run through defenders for extra yards and 1st downs on short passes. He's not the quickest WR out there for sure, but if you need a play downfield when everyone's covered, there's only a handful of WRs in the game I'd throw it to before Kearse.

FYI, he dropped exactly 1 pass last year to Baldwin's and Lockett's 2 drops. He also had the same drop rate as Baldwin the year before during the regular season. He's crucified for the 2 drops in the GB and somehow blamed for RW throwing into triple coverage on another. Beyond that, there's a certain level of insanity or slow learning as to what a player has done vs simply what people believe just....because.

[youtube]hN61MojQjrQ[/youtube]

You're off your rocker regarding the late season comments as well. Just plain certifiable section 8.

I particularly like that TD on Norman even though the other one is better in many ways. :lol:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Just for good measure because I'm a jerk.

[youtube]Oy-DMZw9fpI[/youtube]

In Kearse's second year, the guys in the booth had him review a touchdown catch of his. He explained how, as he was reading the defense, he thought they were in cover 2 and therefore he'd have to "widen" out the safety otherwise he'd be in the path of the ball. He was lined up in the slot with the safety about 15 yards from him on his inside hip. He ran his route about 25 degrees to the pylon, again lined up in the slot, so that the safety would have to cheat that way. About half way through the route he cut it about 30 degrees back inside. The safety that was previously inside shade and likely int he path of the ball, was now on his outside hip, giving him inside leverage to the ball...from the slot. RW delivered the touchdown right on queue.

Y'all can play madden and think about ratings all you want to, but you just can't teach that. To be able to read defenses like your QB and use geometry in motion and have it all come together for 6 is where it's at.

HawkerD

Reaction score
I'm seeing progress. A year ago there would be five or ten Kearse haters on this thread crucifying him. Now it seems either the haters are still in holiday traffic or they are coming around undo to see his value.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":8tmjew0l said:
Good reminders, Vin, I didn't really interpet much Kearse-bashing here.

Ideas pick up steam really quick in threads. You get a majority and then it's all downhill from there.

Basis4day

Reaction score
vin.couve12":15xryo92 said:
Grahamhawker":15xryo92 said:
Good reminders, Vin, I didn't really interpet much Kearse-bashing here.

Ideas pick up steam really quick in threads. You get a majority and then it's all downhill from there.

Thank you for pointing out the realities of his drop rate. The GB playoff game completely altered fans' perception of his play.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
One of these days we are going to lose Kearse.

Then all of you are going to miss him.

Yes, he had that really crappy game against GB, but I think it was his catch that won it for us too.

Frankly, I give up. Without Kearse we don't get to that SB because we don't beat SF.

That alone should be enough for you to fete him.

At least it isn't as bad now, he earned his spot and he is someone you want there. He catches the ball when he is covered and very few guys can do that.

And he might be one of the greatest clutch players that Seahawks have EVER had. And I grew up watching Brian Blades.

Finally, he isn't afraid to get hit.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkerD":23236dyr said:
I'm seeing progress. A year ago there would be five or ten Kearse haters on this thread crucifying him. Now it seems either the haters are still in holiday traffic or they are coming around undo to see his value.

I'm seeing progress...in Kearse. When he first started out, there was more reason to be frustrated with him. But in 2015 he was better than ever. He was one of the people to benefit most from Bevell's late-season quick-timing passing offense, found a nice little niche as the short-yardage guy. (Imagine that, different schemes bringing out new things in players.) And he's got that clutch gene as well.

One of the most agonizing things about the final play of Super Bowl 49, is the way it overshadowed the brilliant Kearse catch (and Butler humiliation) before it.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Playing split end requires this receiver to beat jams and block at the line of scrimmage. That is a poor usage of Lockett, Richatdson, or Baldwin. Baldwin has played some split end (inconsistently) but his best position is in the slot (where he is elite) followed by flanker, where he also has room to maneuver.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Playing split end requires this receiver to beat jams and block at the line of scrimmage. That is a poor usage of Lockett, Richatdson, or Baldwin. Baldwin has played some split end (inconsistently) but his best position is in the slot (where he is elite) followed by flanker, where he also has room to maneuver.