Article: A closer look at Jarran Reed’s impressive NFL debut

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seahawks On Tape: A closer look at Jarran Reed’s impressive NFL debut

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/9/15/129 ... imson-tide

While many thought he was drafted solely to be a short yardage run-stopper, it was made clear in game one that the coaches see him as an every down defensive tackle. Though he was often subbed out in 3rd and long situations, he was still given plenty of opportunities to make his mark in the passing game— even going as far as dropping into a middle zone coverage on one play.

All in all, it was a solid, if unspectacular rookie debut. He got in on two tackles and swatted down two passes at the line of scrimmage.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Love what I've seen from Reed and he will only get better. Premier run stopper by years end if he isn't already.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Most exciting to me were the GIFs that showed some pocket-collapsing ability.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
A bit worrying to see him getting blown off the line by those double teams later in the game though. Are they giving him too many snaps and he's tiring too much by the end of the game?

dogorama

Reaction score
Laloosh":4twr6d0k said:
A bit worrying to see him getting blown off the line by those double teams later in the game though. Are they giving him too many snaps and he's tiring too much by the end of the game?

I try to keep everything in perspective w/a rookie's very first game in the NFL and also how relative it is. Regarding the latter, because of an ongoing dialogue w/a friend in Arizona who is a Card's fan, I compare him to Robert Nkemdiche. He and Nkemdiche are almost carbon copies, they're both DT's, same exact size, and both early round draft picks this year. My argument w/my friend is that we got the steal of the draft and that Reed will be every bit as good as Nkemdiche who was drafted much earlier at #29 of the first round.

As regards their first game in the NFL, Bruce Ariens, in his inimitable style, was throwing players under the bus after their embarrassing loss to the Brady/Gronk-less Pats. After describing Nkemdiche's play as "poor" he went on to say, “He jumped offside when they weren’t even set on a big third down,” Arians said. “Other than that, he was not a factor.”

Funny huh? Of course, I am laughing my ass off and am in my best I-told-you-so mode but my over-hyped Arizona fan friend is nowhere to be found.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... fter-loss/

Hawks46

Reaction score
Laloosh":rdvfp599 said:

You could see in the earlier part of the game where he just stoned the double team, maybe got pushed back a yard. I think conditioning probably has something to do with it; keep in mind that he was out what a ankle ? toe? for a couple weeks before the season started. I think rookies absolutely need every week of preseason snaps especially in practice.

I love watching the gifs (as I don't really know how to do them), but I'm a bit disappointed by some of the writer's observations. On one gif, he says that Reed gets blown backwards and it's not by a double team. It is clearly a combo block where the Center helps with Reed then peels off and tries to block the LBer. Reed had gotten double teamed the play before, and it almost looks like he gave up a bit thinking he had another double. Reed reportedly has an incredible motor, so I'm theorizing fatigue.

He also says he wasn't sure if it was Rubin's responsibility on that long pass to Landry where he dropped into coverage. Landry worked all the way across the field. Any play where the 300 + lb DT has responsibility on any player to the sideline is the DC's fault for terrible scheme. Obviously this wasn't Reed's responsibility.

I thought Reed had a very solid game for a rookie. He obviously has room to grow, and that's exciting.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
^^ The ankle (think he got rolled up on?) is why I ask the question regarding snap count. Obviously we don't know any of the details regarding the injury but when the author pointed out possible conditioning issues, I thought about the ankle.

Being his first actual NFL game, it's encouraging as you mentioned.

bighawk

Reaction score
All i want for Reed is for him to do his job and stuff the run with him pushing the pocket back occasionally in the quarterbacks face. It will take more time for him but he will get there as a pass rusher.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
2 batted passes is pretty damn good. Jarran also made several bats during limited pass defense opportunities in the preseason. To line up alongside Rubes, the guy was a steal.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
He played well. The tackles and swats are great. But honestly the best games he has, he's not going to necessarily pop in the box score. But whats gonna happen is Bobbys gonna have like 15 plus tackles.....

Latest posts