Continuing OLine woes

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The OLine is presently ranked 27th of 32. The experiment of going cheap is starting to show signs of impending disaster.

The OLine has given up 5 sacks in 8 quarters and a league leading 17 QB hits. Our QB is on the limp as a result. The guy the was expected to be their worst player is playing creditably well @ C, Glowinski is allowing presures at an alarming rate while Webb isn't much better and both OTs look like they recently have attended matador classes or are penalty machines.

The team ranks 20th in passing O and 18th in rushing O. predictably the results on the field are less than comforting.

The engine the O runs on needs a tune up.

chet380

Reaction score
Perhaps Ifedi's return will re-establish the cohesion of the pre-season OL

Bobblehead

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3qqiunpx said:
The OLine is presently ranked 27th of 32. The experiment of going cheap is starting to show signs of impending disaster.

The OLine has given up 5 sacks in 8 quarters and a league leading 17 QB hits. Our QB is on the limp as a result. The guy the was expected to be their worst player is playing creditably well @ C, Glowinski is allowing presures at an alarming rate while Webb isn't much better and both OTs look like they recently have attended matador classes or are penalty machines.

The team ranks 20th in passing O and 18th in rushing O. predictably the results on the field are less than comforting.

Could Wilson have sustained that type of injury if say he was behind the Dallas Cowboy's offensive line?
I remember not to long ago, a certain quarterback getting injured behind one of the best OL in the league.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I agree with Petes assement that the line is ahead of years past lines at this point of the year. We faced two really good lines and held up decently in pass pro (which is a lot better than years past).
I am surprised we have struggled so much to run the ball but I think we turn that around as soon as next week. Having Ifedi back should help as well.
The line is much less of an issue so far this year imo.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'm impressed with Britt, but that is about it on the line. Glowinski is inconsistent, but has shown he has some upside. Webb is what I equate to a dumpster fire, and Sowell is.... I can't think of any adjective that wouldn't get me banned here so I will refrain. Haven't paid as much attention to Gilliam so I won't comment here.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1xqaynr9 said:
I agree with Petes assement that the line is ahead of years past lines at this point of the year. We faced two really good lines and held up decently in pass pro (which is a lot better than years past).
I am surprised we have struggled so much to run the ball but I think we turn that around as soon as next week. Having Ifedi back should help as well.

For sure, and even though they are letting pressures happen, from what I see it is assignment issues. This is good as that clears up with being together longer and knowing the tendencies of your fellow lineman.

Sowell is clearly not cutting it at any level though, and will have to be replaced. Lack of depth will become a huge issue with any more injuries on the line. Center is not an easy position, and I think Britt has done a fine job considering he is new to it and has a new line.

Ifedi back will help, and hopefully they are really working the backups to provide relief as this line is going to be targetted hard by opposing teams. Injuries upfront could prove to be huge as the season moves forward.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
johnnyfever":3nhs9i18 said:
Natethegreat":3nhs9i18 said:

For sure, and even though they are letting pressures happen, from what I see it is assignment issues. This is good as that clears up with being together longer and knowing the tendencies of your fellow lineman.

Sowell is clearly not cutting it at any level though, and will have to be replaced. Lack of depth will become a huge issue with any more injuries on the line. Center is not an easy position, and I think Britt has done a fine job considering he is new to it and has a new line.

Ifedi back will help, and hopefully they are really working the backups to provide relief as this line is going to be targetted hard by opposing teams. Injuries upfront could prove to be huge as the season moves forward.
Britt has actually received a lot of praise from pundits who keyed in on him. Right now he is the bright spot on our line. I think he is playing better than he ever has at center.

floridian_seahawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GoSeahawksNews/status/777963259945099268[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GoSeahawksNews/status/777963628817375233[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GoSeahawksNews/status/777964240908918785[/tweet]

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3builipw said:
jammerhawk":3builipw said:

Could Wilson have sustained that type of injury if say he was behind the Dallas Cowboy's offensive line?
I remember not to long ago, a certain quarterback getting injured behind one of the best OL in the league.

Certainly Wilson's injury could have happened with any Oline, but the number of QB sacks & hits allowed certainly points out the OLine is not protecting well ,or the coaching is not adjusting to the OLine's limited abilities to protect.

bandiger

Reaction score
All the blame on Cable and his overrated system that makes it difficult to just plug in any vet offensive line player. All ex-seahawks vets seem to just play fine while whoever we bring in takes several weeks of real games to "get it". I mean we pass on Jahri Evans and the dude is already starting on the Saints with our ex-center :roll:

iigakusei

Reaction score
Multiple people have said Cable is a genius with the OL - so I am very confused.
Psyched for Britt though, must say I am pleasantly surprised.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bandiger":wwjchnh5 said:
All the blame on Cable and his overrated system that makes it difficult to just plug in any vet offensive line player. All ex-seahawks vets seem to just play fine while whoever we bring in takes several weeks of real games to "get it". I mean we pass on Jahri Evans and the dude is already starting on the Saints with our ex-center :roll:

You mean the 0-2 Saints that are gonna stink again? Not exactly a good example of why we should have kept Evans.

Listen, Pete and John gambled on youth this year, and yeah it's bit us in the ass just about everywhere you turn. But the hope is this draft class pays off in the future, over trying to band aid the line with has beens like Evans and Webb that'll be gone by mid season or next year.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2bgmexfs said:

Tony Romo does, all the time.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
jammerhawk":27gk7vll said:
It's a hot mess.
Outside of Britt which may be the one really pleasant surprise of the year so far, I agree completely.

I understand that money had to be spent elsewhere and I understand this is hindsight, but it seems to me the Harvin and Graham trades and subsequent contract expenditures have killed any chance to keep or acquire decent o-linemen. It's clearly been the wrong approach and Pete and John are responsible. Especially maddening is that we don't use the 8 million dollar contract this year TE in the red zone. The good news is that I believe we are out from under all the $ both those contracts are costing the team at present which should allow for signing a decent o-lineman in FA if one interests the team as well as maybe paying Bennett.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1z9l1smr said:

We started the season at 32nd dead last. 27th seems right. Britt is playing well everyone else is average or below average. Ifedi is above average which will likely move us to the high teens low 20's when he comes back is my guess.

Also can you link your source please. Not disagreeing with anything and I'm assuming it's PFF but I want to see some things.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd like to know how the parse QB hits. It's a very dubious stat to me.

I rewatched the LA game. I counted 7 "hits" where Wilson had released the ball, and I counted to 2 (which is also about 2 steps) and he gets drilled. The ball is out cleanly, and the WR probably already has it, unless the ball is doing deep.

This has no effect on the play other than to rattle the QB.

I'd also address the 3 helmet to helmet hits Wilson took that weren't called. Evidently they weren't part of the play and didn't need to be called.

Anyone know how many sacks we had by game 2 of last year ? I'm guessing it's more.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawks46":nyph6act said:

I rewatched the LA game. I counted 7 "hits" where Wilson had released the ball, and I counted to 2 (which is also about 2 steps) and he gets drilled. The ball is out cleanly, and the WR probably already has it, unless the ball is doing deep.

I'd also address the 3 helmet to helmet hits Wilson took that weren't called. Evidently they weren't part of the play and didn't need to be called.

Anyone know how many sacks we had by game 2 of last year ? I'm guessing it's more.

Some of those hits on Russell seemed late to me and borderline intentional, maybe I'm just being biased idk.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1c8y1p0l said:
Hawks46":1c8y1p0l said:

Some of those hits on Russell seemed late to me and borderline intentional, maybe I'm just being biased idk.
With Gregg Williams leading that defense they were without a doubt intentional.