Fieldgulls: Brandon Marshall beat Sherman on Sunday - barely

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/10/6/131 ... jets-video

If I'd tried writing this (and I thought about it), I'd probably have gotten buried on this board, but Sherman gave up some big yardage to Brandon Marshall the other day. Overall, actually, I'd say Sherman won, as interceptions tend to be more influential than 19-yard completions.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed...Marshall won the first half...Clearly Sherman adjusted at the half and won the second half. Classic matchup by two future HoFers.

Long receptions < 2 INTs

TestMo1337

Reaction score
It's also slightly skewed on the DPI that was called against him.

The TD pass was a perfect ball. The other two completions were perfectly time plays, one to beat press and a timed comeback throw. The best DB won't be able to stop those plays.

I would give a slight edge to Sherman because 2 INTs are huge. Those are potentially negative points for the Jets offense when the Seahawks capitalize.

Seymour

Reaction score
If holding the receivers QB to an under 50 passer rating is a win for receiver, I'll take a loss every week against top flight receivers like Marshall. :2thumbs:

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
It's still a crazy bad feeling when you see some score on Richard. It also sucks when the team is averaging 12 points a game against and you're about to end it with 10 and then a junk play ultimately results in more points against.

I'm sick of hearing about our third rate defense compared to the Rams or Vikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":1s4zzdqt said:
It's still a crazy bad feeling when you see some score on Richard.

I wasn't worried about that. A perfect throw beats perfect coverage every time, and Fitzmediocre managed to pull one off.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Was a helluva game between 2 great players. Marshall won a couple of the battles (not the one that should've definitely been OPI) but Sherm won the war. He'll get beat again. It happens to even the best. He wins far more than he loses though.

irfuben32

Reaction score
I don't think Sherman has been playing with the same edge the last year or so.

that battle seemed to light the fire in him again

McGruff

Reaction score
irfuben32":2xsdsira said:
I don't think Sherman has been playing with the same edge the last year or so.

that battle seemed to light the fire in him again

Have you been watching games AT ALL this year? Sherman has been shutting receivers down at historic levels.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
NOLAHawk":21mg5vrb said:
I'm sick of hearing about our third rate defense compared to the Rams or Vikes.

We still have the number one defense in the NFL as far as I know...

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Marshall is awesome, and even the best can be beat by guys like that. Fitz threw too many towards Sherman and it ended up where QBs normally do when they keep after him.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Also remember that Richard is pretty darned good against the run too. He's very willing to tackle and is pretty good at it. Definitely a complete corner. One of my favorite Hawks and as much for his intelligence as for his play.

Largent80

Reaction score
On a team full of great defenders Sherman is standing WAY out. I was appalled on what was called DPI when Marshall pushed HIM off 5 yards. But, the very next play was an interception.

INSTANT KARMA..... :179417:

HawkerD

Reaction score
The league is designed so that good passing offenses beat good pass defenses. DB's who hold there own and walk away with a draw have beaten the system. That what Sherman did on Sunday. Over came a few catches and an OPI to win the day. Marshall had zero impact on the outcome. Sherman did with two INTs.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think Richard came away with more than a draw and still maintain the Marshall TD should have been called a pushing off OPI penalty, like the Hawks had called against them in XL v. DJack. There is little question that Marshall redirected Sherman to the inside on the TD reception by his shove off. I guess it was a type of equalizer type non-call but it still happened in part b/c of the OPI.

Marshall is an elite WR and had a good 1st half against Sherm regardless but when it counted Sherman won and took the ball away from Marshall 2x and close to 3x demonstrating he is an elite CB.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
sammyc521":vruuobvt said:
It's also slightly skewed on the DPI that was called against him.
Right, and as I remember it the call - had it gone the other way as it obviously should have - would have put the Jets in 3rd and forever, deep in their end of the field. Sherm would have instead been credited, in a just world..

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's quite the compliment to Sherman that he can hold one of the best receivers in the NFL to three receptions while pulling down two interceptions - and some fans will still think he under-performed.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":22q2zp09 said:
NOLAHawk":22q2zp09 said:
It's still a crazy bad feeling when you see some score on Richard.

I wasn't worried about that. A perfect throw beats perfect coverage every time, and Fitzmediocre managed to pull one off.
Truth.

Coverage can be near perfect, and the WR still gets the ball. Happens all the time at all levels of football.

The reaction speaks to how good the Hawks' secondary in general and Sherman in particular have been: truly special.

Smellyman

Reaction score
AgentDib":22bkey2v said:
It's quite the compliment to Sherman that he can hold one of the best receivers in the NFL to three receptions while pulling down two interceptions - and some fans will still think he under-performed.

So true