Fieldgulls: Bradley Sowell makes his case to be LT of future

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yup, that game seemed to be all about quality of competition.

It's a young season still and we'll just have to wait and see how he progresses. He could steadily be getting better, or he could have just dominated weak opposition. The game before the bye, Richardson owned him on a few plays and made him look silly, but then again, Richardson is elite.

Jville

Reaction score
Nice detailed article ..... thanks for posting.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
No thanks. Still think we can do a LOT better in the draft. He's a band aid for Okung's departure.

Justin Britt being the future center though.. that's where it will get interesting. He's been a very pleasant surprise (I didn't even think he'd make the 53 man roster back in July)

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1ky5qgyw said:
George Fant for left tackle 2017.

Very intriguing idea actually. Fant appears to be the most raw, athletic talent we've had on the line in a long time. I'm awfully curious to see how he progresses. Even though he's a "project" he remains one of our better prospects. He's got quick feet and is developing technique and learning the basics of Cable's system.

For Sowell, we need more data for a fair assessment. He improved last game against much weaker competition but got worked over against the Rams and other teams. I can still see us drafting a tackle in the first couple rounds.

Fade

Reaction score
giphy.gif

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":n7zttice said:
No thanks. Still think we can do a LOT better in the draft. He's a band aid for Okung's departure.

Justin Britt being the future center though.. that's where it will get interesting. He's been a very pleasant surprise (I didn't even think he'd make the 53 man roster back in July)

By all accounts this draft is a very bad one for OT. Might help make the decision to keep Sowell.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Yeah.... he looked terrible against any decent defense. I mean, literally missing contact with DE's and LB's. And then would trip over himself while Russell runs for his life and gets planted into the ground.

baumer64

Reaction score
Love that last clip of Ifedi... this guy is a beast!!!

smashmouth59

Reaction score
Fade":1nlrtjfp said:

Made my day.

Yes, Sowell is a bandaid, but i like his tenacity. He reminds of Breno except on the left side. He is a plodder, and maybe even less of an athlete than Breno but he plays his ass off. His effort, durability (which has not been tested but I will venture is better than Okung), attitude, and grit seem to be almost an upgrade to Okung. Okung is a way better LT, but considering Sowell's pricetag he may actually be a better value. I am shocked that this Oline is working out, and really excited about the interior moving bodies on the goalline in January and February.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
mistaowen":32x6l63y said:
Yeah.... he looked terrible against any decent defense. I mean, literally missing contact with DE's and LB's. And then would trip over himself while Russell runs for his life and gets planted into the ground.

Terrible is relative term. You DO remember McQuistan, right?! Or maybe you have a very short memory.

Rob12

Reaction score
McGruff":2hq24bm0 said:

I know he's a project but sometimes I wonder if he's still the best LT on the roster that we have. It'd be interesting to see him get some playing time.

xgeoff

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3o05lkso said:
McGruff":3o05lkso said:

Very intriguing idea actually. Fant appears to be the most raw, athletic talent we've had on the line in a long time. I'm awfully curious to see how he progresses. Even though he's a "project" he remains one of our better prospects. He's got quick feet and is developing technique and learning the basics of Cable's system...

I completely agree that this is an incredibly intriguing possibility. What I don't understand is the whole 'quick feet' commentary that I keep hearing with respect to Fant. I didn't see any of that in pre-season. He seemed to set his feet and lean rather than use his feet to position his body in front of pass rushers.

What I found really odd about this is that in basketball it is ALL about getting your body in front of your opponent. Whether it is stopping an opponents dribble or boxing someone out, you can't be effective if you're reaching all the time. Basketball, actually, should be a fantastic training ground for offensive linemen, because you have to move your feet to get into position, often against smaller, faster opponents.

So I still have hope for Fant, and I realize it's early on in terms of his exposure to football. But what I've seen so far has been rather disappointing in terms of how he's using his athletic ability.

Mojambo

Reaction score
He's exactly the kind of guy that Cable gets great value out of.

Really good stop-gap until they develop or draft a replacement.

Jville

Reaction score
Bradley Sowell is good to go at left tackle for Sunday's match up with Arizona. Where as, the tackle he replaced remains questionable for a Monday night match up with continuing concussion like symptoms. Just never know how things will work out.

hawker232

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3tdejgfk said:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/10/20/13345860/seahawks-grades-bradley-sowell-vs-falcons-tom-cable-russell-wilson

Interesting.

'Course, it's easy to do that well against mediocre defensive lines on the #24 ranked defense.

Welp, whoever wrote this article needs to be fired.