Have we gotten to National Hate level???

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I was thinking about this reading a few other posts about various topics.

Have we gotten to the "Dallas" "New England" level where the casual fan is rooting against us whoever we play? Usually that type of hate is reserved for the blue bloods of the league. But I think Pete's run with this defense has supercharged that. We were loud, we are physical and mean, our QB is a robot.

I think we have....which is pretty darn cool imo.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Not on a NE or Dallas level but we're definitely in the top 10 most hated teams right now. It's not a bad thing though as the most hated teams are usually the most succesful as well.

It's logical. Do you hate the team you always beat or do you hate the team that always beats you?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
1. Patriots
2. Cowboys
3. Steelers
4. Redskins
5. Packers
6. Seahawks

Probably something like that.

12thbrah

Reaction score
No doubt hating on the team and hating on the team's fans. Everyone who cares about the seahawks now is a "bandwagon" fan apparently.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
We got to our current tier of hatred in 2013 when Sherman introduced himself to the world in the NFC Championship game.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3ilaqmft said:
We got to our current tier of hatred in 2013 when Sherman introduced himself to the world in the NFC Championship game.

^This 100%. And people showed how ignorant they truly are (specifically social media keyboard warriors) by judging Sherman off this one interview, rather than understanding who he is, where he came from and what Crabtree did to provoke him.

Who cares if casual fans hate our team. Means the team is doing something right. Winning

A

Anonymous

Okay, so like, timely topic...

Sunday afternoon I'm outta beer, and a little more than pissed, so I'm off to the corner store to replenish. I'm in my away Wilson jersey, blue shorts and sportin my standard-issue NFC Championship hat (thanks again Lon!) and I head in the front door toward the cooler. As I'm standing there, about to open and reach in to grab, some dork and his way-too-drunk waif girlfriend start giving me the business.

He's got on a Brees Jersey and she's got a Saint's logo tee-shirt on and they're saying things like "so hey, throw a pick so I can grab the Shiner baby!". I give them the stare-down, and nicely say "go ahead, there's no ref in here either!". The chick gives me the "awwww, we're just playin..." so I grab the beer and head to the counter.

So there is a small line and naturally they are behind me, and dude starts saying stuff about "...serves us right for the BS no-call against Julio, so it's about time... blah blah blah... Jimmy Graham... blah blah... Richard Sherman... blah blah...". I take the high road and just shine them on. I pay, and as I leave, I turn and given them the "see you in the playoffs!, oh wait, I guess I won't!"

All the way to my truck I'm saying out loud "Playoffs!?", Playoffs?, Playoffs!? in my best Mora voice. As I'm getting in some guy yells from the gas pumps "Seahawks SUCK!!!". I look over; big ole Cowboys sticker in the back window . So yeah, we get our fair share of crap from other team's fans.

Rat

Reaction score
I think it peaked about three years ago. Between Sherman and Carroll, it was an easy team to hate, but Marshawn Lynch was basically unanimously loved, and the face of the franchise now (Russell Wilson) is one of the most popular and respected athletes in all of sports.

Every team with success will have their irrational haters. We've got some, but it's nowhere near as bad as teams like the Cowboys and Patriots.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Rat":3kpyy0yd said:
I think it peaked about three years ago. Between Sherman and Carroll, it was an easy team to hate, but Marshawn Lynch was basically unanimously loved, and the face of the franchise now (Russell Wilson) is one of the most popular and respected athletes in all of sports.

Every team with success will have their irrational haters. We've got some, but it's nowhere near as bad as teams like the Cowboys and Patriots.

Basically this, with a couple variations:

1) I don't think among general NFL fans Wilson is widely loved. I think people are entertained by him, but they're fascinated by him as a curiosity, not showering him with praise. They respect him as a player for sure, but beyond that among general sports fans it's mostly people entertaining themselves by laughing at him.

2) I think Bennett is pretty widely loved and respected as a player among NFL fans. Kam has a good rep too.

3) I think Sherman has really turned around his reputation and by discerning fans is now deeply respected not only as a player but also as a personality. I think he figured out that he got a little too close to the sun with his schtick and after breaking kayfabe people generally like him much, much more.

4) As a player ET3 is widely respected among fans, but kind of a cipher as a personality.

5) The general disinterest (or maybe lack of enthusiasm?) in Booby Wagner outside of Hawks land could maybe be a bit surprising to Hawks fans, I imagine. The mismatch between his stature in Seattle and outside of Seattle has always been kinda noteworthy to me.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Aros":1ot9qokl said:
1. Patriots
2. Cowboys
3. Steelers
4. Redskins
5. Packers
6. Seahawks

There is a definite "which one of these is not like the other one" in that list.

253hawk

Reaction score
Rat":16pgbecw said:

It's kind of funny, because it took several years of sustained success and championships for them to get that level of hate. We did it in only one! :179422:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1l9eu6m0 said:
Okay, so like, timely topic...

Sunday afternoon I'm outta beer, and a little more than pissed, so I'm off to the corner store to replenish. I'm in my away Wilson jersey, blue shorts and sportin my standard-issue NFC Championship hat (thanks again Lon!) and I head in the front door toward the cooler. As I'm standing there, about to open and reach in to grab, some dork and his way-too-drunk waif girlfriend start giving me the business.

He's got on a Brees Jersey and she's got a Saint's logo tee-shirt on and they're saying things like "so hey, throw a pick so I can grab the Shiner baby!". I give them the stare-down, and nicely say "go ahead, there's no ref in here either!". The chick gives me the "awwww, we're just playin..." so I grab the beer and head to the counter.

So there is a small line and naturally they are behind me, and dude starts saying stuff about "...serves us right for the BS no-call against Julio, so it's about time... blah blah blah... Jimmy Graham... blah blah... Richard Sherman... blah blah...". I take the high road and just shine them on. I pay, and as I leave, I turn and given them the "see you in the playoffs!, oh wait, I guess I won't!"

All the way to my truck I'm saying out loud "Playoffs!?", Playoffs?, Playoffs!? in my best Mora voice. As I'm getting in some guy yells from the gas pumps "Seahawks SUCK!!!". I look over; big ole Cowboys sticker in the back window . So yeah, we get our fair share of crap from other team's fans.

So...like tagging on this topic......

In Denver on the way to New Orleans, several fans of the Seahawks were in from Seattle, me from Idaho, and some fans from the Denver Seahawkers on the way to the game. So a gatekeeper on the way down the gangplank to the ship mentions that they are the reigning champions. And the person he was talking to was in front of me by a ways. I then chirped "That may be true, but we kicked your ass." I kept on walking and heard nothing more. Sometimes ya have to get down with yoself.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
253hawk":1bx5hbsn said:
Rat":1bx5hbsn said:

It's kind of funny, because it took several years of sustained success and championships for them to get that level of hate. We did it in only one! :179422:

Always compete......of course. :twisted: :stirthepot:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkGA":2uxe33rd said:
Aros":2uxe33rd said:
1. Patriots
2. Cowboys
3. Steelers
4. Redskins
5. Packers
6. Seahawks

There is a definite "which one of these is not like the other one" in that list.

I cant get it. We are the good guys? :D

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
As much as I hate the Packers I might hate the Cowboys even more...or at least the media and their fans, I actually dont mind Romo and think he gets way more shit than he deserves.

Cowboys havent done shit for 20 years. They have like 3 playoff wins in that time period and the media and their fans think they are the greatest damn team every freaking year.

Cowboy fans are like 49er fans on crack. At least the 49ers had decent playoff success and made the superbowl since their last superbowl win

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":39ht5a21 said:
Rat":39ht5a21 said:

Basically this, with a couple variations:

1) I don't think among general NFL fans Wilson is widely loved. I think people are entertained by him, but they're fascinated by him as a curiosity, not showering him with praise. They respect him as a player for sure, but beyond that among general sports fans it's mostly people entertaining themselves by laughing at him.

2) I think Bennett is pretty widely loved and respected as a player among NFL fans. Kam has a good rep too.

3) I think Sherman has really turned around his reputation and by discerning fans is now deeply respected not only as a player but also as a personality. I think he figured out that he got a little too close to the sun with his schtick and after breaking kayfabe people generally like him much, much more.

4) As a player ET3 is widely respected among fans, but kind of a cipher as a personality.

5) The general disinterest (or maybe lack of enthusiasm?) in Booby Wagner outside of Hawks land could maybe be a bit surprising to Hawks fans, I imagine. The mismatch between his stature in Seattle and outside of Seattle has always been kinda noteworthy to me.

Good post.

What tends to irk Niner fans about this particular division rival is the over the top aura of everything the Hawks do. How super duper extremely fired up the Hawks are about every tackle, hit, play they make on defense -- Wagner comes to mind more than most. How Thomas wants to be Jack Tatum on every single play with that bat**** crazy look in his face 24/7 and wanting to decapitate players while they are already being gang tackled and that stupid football punch. In some ways he has surpassed Sherman in that regard who has seemingly calmed down a bit in recent times, and that referee hug thing is interesting...

Sherman recently annoys a lot more with his interaction with his own players and teammates than with opposing players. That whole Falcons debacle was just so nauseating to watch. It reeks of an arrogance that no way in hell can God be burnt on any play.....let's figure out who was responsible. The entire defense dancing with Sherman was very college maybe high school like.

Respect the hell out of Carroll's football knowledge and coaching ability but he can be classier upon getting favorable calls and just his sideline actions in general. He can come off pretty smug at times and unappreciative of good fortune (Fail Mary alone is one for the ages). Call it hating if you want, but he comes off as a sore loser when things don't go his way (Rams game this year) and sets himself up for ridicule with his facial expressions after the end of one Super Bowl and a recent tie game.

Seahawk hating isn't just about being good but a unique type of bravado different from the '90s Cowboys teams that irk fans because they act like they've "never been there before" (except for Lynch with his handshakes). It was tolerable in '12 and maybe '13, but has worn out its welcome since.

The general "we are different from everyone else, operate on another level" annoys fans. Maybe if it produced a 3peat or produced a Patriots level type of success we can suck it up....

I've said plenty in the past about Wilson so won't rehash, but do find that "ball extend" right before going out of bounds when he scrambles down the sideline annoying, lol.

I have this feeling 10-15 years from now when many of the main characters are gone from the Hawks (Carroll, Wilson, LOB), I will have an indifference for them even if they are still good or even great. I will still root hard against the Giants and Ravens because some wounds will never go away, but Seahawks probably will be just another team.

I rooted for the Hawks in one SB, Cards in another. The Rams were the only one I rooted against in an SB. By the Chicago Cubs axiom of rooting for underdogs I really should have no issue with the Seahawks to the level that I do.

This post is gonna come off antagonistic, but doubt you'll see this type of perspective elsewhere.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
NINEster":27k0sx44 said:
This post is gonna come off antagonistic, but doubt you'll see this type of perspective elsewhere.

That's true - I'll never get that type of perspective until I develop the flexibility required to turn around and stick my head that far up my own poop-chute.
:roll:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Rat":239d10i2 said:

Wrong. With the Cowboys and Patriots, it's not irrational. :mrgreen:

NINEster

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1ey1zdgh said:
NINEster":1ey1zdgh said:

That's true - I'll never get that type of perspective until I develop the flexibility required to turn around and stick my head that far up my own poop-chute.
:roll:

You look at reasons for loathing the Niners unrelated to Harbaugh around here, and they are equally as appalling. :2thumbs: