Seattle Offense: Mid-Season Adjustments

hinton

Reaction score
We all get frustrated with the trend of Seattle starting seasons slowly, yet every year it seemingly picks up for the final 8 weeks.

From what I've heard from Carroll this week he seems pretty confident that the team are going to get on track starting this week. Yeah I know Carroll always looks at the positives, but the tone and certainty coming from him this week about the offence picking up starting this week was different.

Simple question - do we simply open the playbook for the second half of the season?

The trend of the Seahawks second half improvements is often attributed to 'getting on track, 'rookies developing', 'units gelling' but the improvements are so sudden it suggests more than these reasons.

Our playcalling is often quite vanilla, do we withhold a huge chunk of our playbook until the 2nd half of the season so teams don't have the gametape on us to plan accordingly?

hawk45

Reaction score
To me "open the playbook" sounds an awful lot like something fans say because it's an explanation with an easy fix.

The playbook opens in the second half of the season because the 3 or 4 guys in brand new positions on the OL each year start to play better, mainly because it's not possible to play worse.

Back when we had Unger and Okung, they'd get hurt in the beginning of the season then come back in the end and the offense would revive. Now that we have no such quality players returning, we are left hoping that Gilliam gets better (why should he? He seems to have regressed from last year) or that Fant becomes the first Cable project to actually work on the outside.

To me this thread could get merged into "Offense solutions".

OP
OP
hinton

hinton

Reaction score
The way I see it the improvement of the o-line can't be the only reason. The trend of late-season offensive improvement is akin to a light switching on, whereas position group improvement tends to be a gradual process. Even multiple factors if you include injury recoveries, improvements, momentum etc would be a game by game improvement.

It's not like mid-season we change the underperforming oline for our 2005 version.

A few years ago we were a middling offence that ripped of back-to-back-to-back 50-burgers. Last season we went from averaging approx 20 points per game to over 30. Seemingly overnight.

Maybe 'opening up the playbook' is an oversimplification, but there must be some changes to philosophy, play-calling, etc at mid-season for such a dramatic and rapid improvement annually.

kf3339

Reaction score
hinton":1yp83n31 said:
The way I see it the improvement of the o-line can't be the only reason. The trend of late-season offensive improvement is akin to a light switching on, whereas position group improvement tends to be a gradual process. Even multiple factors if you include injury recoveries, improvements, momentum etc would be a game by game improvement.

It's not like mid-season we change the underperforming oline for our 2005 version.

A few years ago we were a middling offence that ripped of back-to-back-to-back 50-burgers. Last season we went from averaging approx 20 points per game to over 30. Seemingly overnight.

Maybe 'opening up the playbook' is an oversimplification, but there must be some changes to philosophy, play-calling, etc at mid-season for such a dramatic and rapid improvement annually.

Maybe it's just nothing more than PC finally getting in Bevell and Cable's faces and telling them to get off their ass and fix the problem. But we go thru this every year on offense. It's getting really old.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2kgf3duh said:
OkieHawk":2kgf3duh said:
Nobody else is bothered by the title?

How are we supposed to be "bothered"?

Should be "offense". Minor nitpick on my part, but stuff like that jumps out at me.

Edit: The main title is changed, but the corresponding posts aren't.

nategreat

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1hvy3fd4 said:
Bigpumpkin":1hvy3fd4 said:
OkieHawk":1hvy3fd4 said:
Nobody else is bothered by the title?

How are we supposed to be "bothered"?

Should be "offense". Minor nitpick on my part, but stuff like that jumps out at me.

Edit: The main title is changed, but the corresponding posts aren't.

Offence and offense are both perfectly acceptable spellings of the word around the world, with the U.S. being on their high horse once again with "offense."

mikeak

Reaction score
^ wrong

You take offence with a post about the offense when the key word is spelled wrong

See the difference?

Hawks46

Reaction score
My opinion is that Wilson has been off, so the offence (!) has been off. Yes, I did that on purpose.

I don't know if it's his injuries, or if he's just pushing too hard. We have so much in place to be successful on offense: skill position players, a solid OL (yup, I think they're solid if unspectacular) and an elite QB.

I see Wilson missing a lot of open reads, while having the yips about pressure.

I see us abandoning the run game when it works (second half of NO game), and not sticking with it. If we get limited reps in games, our young OL won't get more experience and a chance to get better at it.

I'm not sure how you just "fix" a QB's field perceptions and play calling. We're really close to busting it open.