I found Richardson

HawkerD

Reaction score
He was hiding on the inactive list with an injured hamstring. I was looking at the snap counts and couldn't find Richardson. I didn't recall seeing him on the field during the game but that happens. I must not have been paying attention to the injury report during the week with respect to Richardson.

Anyway for all the people who want to see Richardson supplant Kearse on the depth chart, first the guy has to stay healthy which at this point, 3 years into his career, that is not looking like a long term possibility. I don't have hopes for this guy. As a second round pick, cutting him after the year will save us $1M of cap space next year. Hawks will probably need the $$ to give Britt the extension he is in the process of earning.

mikeak

Reaction score
There are four key guys that will need new deals next year and neither one of them is a FA next year.

Graham, Chancellor, Bennett - I give them zero percent chance to playing out their contract

Britt probably a 20% chance he plays it out vs sitting to start the year

Either way the $1million won't go far towards those guys. We will have additional cap space from increase in salary cap and re-signing players and putting money in the signing bonus and spreading it out. Still through 2017 we are looking really good from a salary cap standpoint after that it will start getting a lot tighter.

Richardson is relatively cheap if he can stay healthy. I didn't see anything about him until the inactives were announced last week

2018 FA list: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ ... -seahawks/
2017 FA list: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ ... -seahawks/

Note you can't actually chose the year 2019 but if you revise the link to say 2019 it will show those guys even though it states 2018 in the drop-down

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
I am going on a limb, or maybe not, and guessing Richardson isn't with the team as soon as the season ends. The team has higher priorities than talent that rarely sees the field.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Richardson is never going to replace Jermaine Kearse because Kearse' s job is to do the dirty work specifically blocking.

Carroll was on the other day with Brock? and said the reason Kearse made this team a few years ago was because he volunteered to do the dirty jobs no one really wants to make a career doing and specifically standing out on STs. And that he had the right attitude about it to really own it.

Imo, Kearse standing out as a WR at times and being a guy Russell trusts for whatever reasons was just a bonus.

Richardson has 3 things working against him on the depth chart.

1.) His elite speed ability is hindered by an O-Line that doesn't give Russ the time, and thus Russ himself has been inaccurate on his deep ball this year probably hindered by his injuries as well as over-thinking because his O-Line.

2.) Richardson's ability to exploit the middle of the field his rookie season is now snaps going to a bigger, more formidable receiver in Jimmy Graham.

3.) The quickness Richardson displayed as well in rookie year on moving the chains on short sideline hook routes has been replaced over the years by Baldwin emerging as one of the best WRs in the NFL and Russ most dependable guy. As well as Tyler Lockett being a much more versatile asset who can do similar things Richardson provides.

So it sucks for Richardson that hes relegated to being a depth piece where much of the ability he provides is blocked by better and more versatile players on the field.

And Richardson is probably a better pass-catcher than Kearse, but he lacks the size to be the bully and to do the dirty work which is why Kearse is still getting playing time despite a poor overall performance as a catcher this season.

The question you really need to be asking isn't why Richardson cant replace Kearse, and using that as a premise that Richardson must just suck. But why hasnt Tanner McEvoy replaced Kearse because they have closer responsibilities in what the Seahawks have asked them to do in the scheme?

Part of me feels that Russ believes that him and Kearse can get back to the same page of having that clutch magical connection. Another part of me feels, Bevell likes having a card up his sleeve, and sparingly plays McEvoy despite quality results as a blocker and WR to keep that mystique.

mikeak

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1ndegz9p said:
I am going on a limb, or maybe not, and guessing Richardson isn't with the team as soon as the season ends. The team has higher priorities than talent that rarely sees the field.

IMHO you rather save $5M by cutting Kearse than $1M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... rse-10423/

hang on to Richardson through the draft and then see what you do

and I know Kearse does a lot of downfield tackling that is really appreciated on this team - just not sure we can afford it

McGruff

Reaction score
mikeak":3qvfthke said:
Milehighhawk":3qvfthke said:

and I know Kearse does a lot of downfield tackling that is really appreciated on this team - just not sure we can afford it

Actually, you only save $500,000 by cutting Kearse after this year.

Neither are getting cut in the offseason. Both will come back in 2017 and compete to make the team in TC and PS.

Largent80

Reaction score
I would like to see Richardson make that block on Baldwins play. That was a slobberknocker. Kearse is a REALLY good blocker. He needs work on disguising his picks but Richardson has given this team nothing in all his years here and is a twig.

mikeak

Reaction score
McGruff":2mrr8ume said:
mikeak":2mrr8ume said:
Milehighhawk":2mrr8ume said:

Actually, you only save $500,000 by cutting Kearse after this year.

Neither are getting cut in the offseason. Both will come back in 2017 and compete to make the team in TC and PS.

oops my mistake that is for 2018 you save $5million. Thanks for the correction

For $500,000 no way he gets cut. He does provide value especially with the extra work he does. I don't think it will be worth the $5million in 2018 but surely worth the $500,000 in 2017

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3h6zb6lu said:
Milehighhawk":3h6zb6lu said:

I am not sure where in my post I indicated this is primarily a money argument? Truth is the man has a total of 206 yards on the entire season so far and continues to be injured. Purely from a roster spot standpoint, the organization has to be thinking about cutting bait. Its a guess, but I just don't see him justifying a spot going into the next league year when that 4th or 5th WR could be filled with a rookie with less injury risk.

McGruff

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":3hqhtg9v said:
mikeak":3hqhtg9v said:
Milehighhawk":3hqhtg9v said:

I am not sure where in my post I indicated this is primarily a money argument? Truth is the man has a total of 206 yards on the entire season so far and continues to be injured. Purely from a roster spot standpoint, the organization has to be thinking about cutting bait. Its a guess, but I just don't see him justifying a spot going into the next league year when that 4th or 5th WR could be filled with a rookie with less injury risk.

Yeah, but you don't make that decision until TC and PS.

Hawks46

Reaction score
When Kearse does lose his job, it's going to be either McEvoy, Kasen Williams or Kevin Smith.

All of those guys have similar builds and can be physical, but all of them are also faster than Kearse and also play ST.

The coaching staff has a vested interest in keeping Kearse around because it plays to their philosophy of being a grinder and doing all the dirty work and having a good attitude. It shows rewards.

I have my eye on Tanner McEvoy for next year. He's got elite physical measurables, can block well, and is the largest WR on the team. He brings a special skill set, and is a great all around football player. Guy can play defense, ST and obviously throw the ball.

I honestly think Pete and Bevell are kind of trolling other coaches right now. They're keeping McEvoy in their hip pocket and busting him out in the playoffs. He's shown a knack for making that one really big impact play with limited snaps, and that is many times all it comes down to in the playoffs.

Megatron

Reaction score
Hawks46":3cr6f3uf said:
When Kearse does lose his job, it's going to be either McEvoy, Kasen Williams or Kevin Smith.

All of those guys have similar builds and can be physical, but all of them are also faster than Kearse and also play ST.

Kevin Smith isn't on the roster or practice squad so he's out of the picture.

McEvoy and Williams are both not faster than Kearse if you go by 40 time.

Kearse's 40 time coming out of college was 4.43 avg.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83321&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

McEvoy's 40 time coming out of college was 4.57 avg.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=127686&draftyear=2016&genpos=TE

Williams 40 time coming out of college was 4.63 avg.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119542&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

While Kasen Wiliams won the state triple jump, long jump, and high jump in high school, he was never a receiver that would go for the long play (deep threat). He was known more for his body control and strong hands. I also find it interesting that at their pro days both had the same vertical jump, but Kearse had a longer broad jump, a faster 20 yard shuttle, and three cone drill time, meaning Kearse was slightly more explosive, had better shiftiness, agility, lateral quickness, and change of direction skills than Williams coming out of college. Kearse beats McEvoy on all four of those metrics.

Even if Kearse has lost a step I highly doubt MxEvoy or Williams are much faster than Kearse.

If you're wondering about Kevin Smith, his 40 time coming out of college was 4.54 avg and only beats Kearse on vertical jump, the remaining three metrics are slightly in Kearse's favor.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=112452&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

Hawks46":3cr6f3uf said:
I have my eye on Tanner McEvoy for next year. He's got elite physical measurables

So if McEvoy has elite physical measurables, what does make Kearse? Jameson Konz part II, lol?

nash72

Reaction score
I will be shocked if Richardson is on this team next season. The guy is literally made of glass. Whats the point of keeping him if he's never healthy enough to see the field. As mentioned above, I think McEvoy will rise out of the remaining stock we have.

McGruff

Reaction score
nash72":1jzvppvx said:
I will be shocked if Richardson is on this team next season. The guy is literally made of glass. Whats the point of keeping him if he's never healthy enough to see the field. As mentioned above, I think McEvoy will rise out of the remaining stock we have.

I do not think literally means what you think it means.

And you may be right about Richardson. But I can't think of many high profile players that were cut due to injury history. Even guys with high salaries they kept in spite of injuries. They don't tend to re-sign them, but they don't often cut them because of a risk of injury.

OP
OP
HawkerD

HawkerD

Reaction score
King Dog":3tuwkcw9 said:
I'm just glad we didn't cut Graham like so many suggested this summer.

Also glad we didn't cut him but the way we use him I don't think he is worth the cap hit we are taking (it will $10M in 2017!). Considering new contract extensions for Bennett and Kam, that money has to come from somewhere.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkerD":zjwvuqf5 said:
King Dog":zjwvuqf5 said:

Also glad we didn't cut him but the way we use him I don't think he is worth the cap hit we are taking (it will $10M in 2017!). Considering new contract extensions for Bennett and Kam, that money has to come from somewhere.

Seahawks all time single season catches for the TE position . . .

John Carlson . . . 55 receptions in 2008
Itula Mili . . . 46 receptions in 2003
Jerramy Stevens . . . 45 receptions in 2005
Zach Miller . . . 38 in 2012
Christian Fauria . . . 37 receptions in 1998
Charlie Young . . . 36 in 1983

Now look at this . . .

Jimmy Graham had 48 receptions in 2015 in just 11 games . . .

In 2016, Jimmy Graham is on pace to CRUSH the Seahawks record with 76 receptions, over 1000 yards and 7 TD's . . . while receovering from a potentially career ending knee injury.

For the year Graham ranks 5th in the league in receptions for a TE, 3rd in yards, and 3rd in touchdowns.

The myth of "we are not using Graham" is greatly exagerated.

pcbball12

Reaction score
To me, Richardson is Emmanuel Sanders. Sanders was supposed to be the guy Antonio Brown is in Pitt right now, but his first few years in the league he struggled to get and stay on the field. Everyone knew he was very talented, just couldn't put it together fully. I think Richardson's career will have a similar path, and more likely than not, he will take off with another team.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkerD":14m05xy0 said:
King Dog":14m05xy0 said:

Are you accounting for the projected increase in salary cap next year?