Why not start Alex Collins?

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Okay I understand he started off very sluggish in the beginning of the season but he's really come on lately. It seems every time he runs the ball he makes the correct read and runs fast and fresh. Watching Rawls run into the back of our lineman is beyond frustrating. I think Rawls is an good back but I'm starting to wonder if he's kept his head in the playbook. He doesn't seem smooth at all! Even on his good runs, they've all looked so choppy and or sloppy.

At this point I believe we should at least give Collins the heavier load and see how he responds. With Rawls being hurt and playing off it seems the natural choice.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: because we need to be struggling to get back into the ballgame in the fourth quarter before he gets a chance at playing time :sarcasm_off:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
the fact is you cant have a small back like Rawls as an every down back, they just cant take the punishment. you gotta have a bruiser to take some of the load. Id like to see Collins get no less than 15 carries Saturday

Smellyman

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":e6vgcjpg said:
the fact is you cant have a small back like Rawls as an every down back, they just cant take the punishment. you gotta have a bruiser to take some of the load. Id like to see Collins get no less than 15 carries Saturday

AC 5'10 217

TR 5'9 215

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3czz6buw said:

Not only that, the whole thing of Rawls looking for contact was very endearing at first but now whenever he gets tackled, the defenses are absolutely destroying him. I don't even know how he gets up from some of the hits he is taking or initiating. I like the "running with an attitude" mantra, I just wish he would be a little less liberal with his body smashing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rawls has had a ding all year, recovery from the broken leg usually takes a while to really be your old self, then he had a foot issue and something else, then the shoulder. Let him work and train off season for 6 months and we should see a better version next year again, with all the injuries I think he and the team pressed a bit getting him going as well.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I can't remember when I first mentioned it here, but from early on, I had the impression that Collins wasn't quite mentally and physically NFL ready, and that he needed a full redshirt year to get there.

I remain unconvinced that he is ready for a full load of carries.

He definitely shows promise, and I could see him as our feature back next year, but I don't want to break him before we even get him NFL ready.

I do think it was wise to keep him on the roster, as he would have been poached off the practice squad.

I expect to see him used sparingly through the playoffs, just spelling Rawls and getting some game experience. This will be frustrating , because he will continue to amass a nice YPC average as he is presented with favorable defensive alignments due to his sparse use. He is getting the benefit of being put into situations where he is fresh, the defense is worn down, and the defense isn't necessarily focused on him as a primary threat. In other words, I think his YPC is, and will continue to be, artificially inflated by the situations we are putting him in.

Whether he can sustain his production next year, with a full load of carries, is unclear to me. I hope the best for the kid, and I think he has a ton of promise.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
bigskydoc":nrrz5hjz said:
I can't remember when I first mentioned it here, but from early on, I had the impression that Collins wasn't quite mentally and physically NFL ready, and that he needed a full redshirt year to get there.

I remain unconvinced that he is ready for a full load of carries.

He definitely shows promise, and I could see him as our feature back next year, but I don't want to break him before we even get him NFL ready.

I do think it was wise to keep him on the roster, as he would have been poached off the practice squad.

I expect to see him used sparingly through the playoffs, just spelling Rawls and getting some game experience. This will be frustrating , because he will continue to amass a nice YPC average as he is presented with favorable defensive alignments due to his sparse use. He is getting the benefit of being put into situations where he is fresh, the defense is worn down, and the defense isn't necessarily focused on him as a primary threat. In other words, I think his YPC is, and will continue to be, artificially inflated by the situations we are putting him in.

Whether he can sustain his production next year, with a full load of carries, is unclear to me. I hope the best for the kid, and I think he has a ton of promise.
Agree with all of that but: he's basically the only option we have at this stage unless Rawls is a lot healthier than his recent outings would suggest. The eyeball test says that AC is where it's at.

ACFan

Reaction score
Smellyman":20ap9ap5 said:
Chukarhawk":20ap9ap5 said:

AC 5'10 217

TR 5'9 215

I agree that Collins is more of a bruiser than Rawls, moreso than just the two pounds would indicate.

It's in how they run. Rawls runs with reckless abandon and usually receives a heavy blow to end the play. (hurt often)

Collins runs under control and ends the play by delivering the blow, (never gets hurt).

It's not just your size, but how you run.

ACFan

Reaction score
Last year in a noon time kick-off against Tenn-Martin. AC ran for 178 yards and 5 TDs.

Six hours later, he reported for his night shift as a greeter at the Catfish Hole.

Dude can play all day and never lose his smile.

The strategy of late seems to be bring in a fresh AC in the 2nd half to wear on the defense. But he can go all 4 quarters and stay strong, no sweat for AC.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Michael, Prosise and Collins have a combined 4.3 ypc for 766 yds on 178 carries with 8 touchdowns.
Thomas Rawls and Russell have a combined 3.3 ypc for 608 yds on 181 carries with 4 touchdowns.

Wilson and Rawls have not been right all year. The lack of a running back running game is more Rawls than anything else, and overall not having Russell as a read option threat has really hurt.

Russell says the brace is coming off for the playoffs. Start AC this week and get some CJ starting next week. Rawls is simply not right and should be the one giving the occassional breather to the other two.

Running game fixed. Which helps the o-line in pass protection, which leads to more points and increased time of possession, which helps the defense to remain fresh and also forces our opponents into a more one dimensional offense to try and keep pace. And then the turnovers come. And then the momentum takes over. And then this team will not lose.

Anyway, that's the way I see it.

ACFan

Reaction score
It would seem to be a sound strategy to start Collins and give him 10-15 carries. Bring in Rawls and/or Prosise for 5-7 carries.

Let Collins be the steady hammer, and the every down back for stretches of the game, bring in the other two for a change of pace, fresh legs to break a big play.

Anytime Rawls or Prosise have to carry a workload, they get hurt. Not so with Collins, and Rawls and Prosise are probably more capable of the big, big play than Collins is.

It would seem to be the perfect way to utilize the running talent we have.

so it probably won't happen that way. :)