Drew is Not the Starter, but...

Optimus25

Reaction score
...I liked what I saw. Accuracy was a bit off, but i think that was the juice of actually getting on the field.

My point is he's not a starter, shouldn't get 'almost' any snaps over Geno, but I think we saw something Pete should at least look at.

Sometimes Geno gets concrete feet in the backfield, has small spells of inefficiency, and has an occasional lapse in judgment for throws. They way the defense played it's hard to believe we didn't put up 30+. In fact, we scored 24 points with a pick 6 and a strip sack deep in their territory. Just do the math without these plays yourself if you wanna argue the 100% Geno show. Factor in the Lock TD drive, and boom...you have my argument here.

I think 1 series per game with Lock would be an interesting play from the Hawks. First off, you can't deny what you saw when Lock took the designed keeper up the middle and shot through the line like a cannon. Then on the play to Fant, watch the defensive end get pressure and i honestly don't know how Drew felt it so instinctively but he did, avoiding the sack, and just slid to his right in rhythm to hit Fant. That was on a 3rd and 10 with a Martindale Defense teeing up to try and make a play, so no small feat.

I know integrating back up QBs is rare, but once upon a time tall ultra physical corners were too. in fact once upon a time, mobile QBs were extremely rare.

I think if Pete wants to live with the Always Compete mantra, Drew earned more playing time. If it doesn't pan out after a couple games and a couple designed looks, ok whatever. But you can't tell me Geno is Patrick Mahomes out there and untouchable.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Splitting time at the QB position rarely ever works out. First, it destroys confidence and secondly it makes it hard for either QB to find a rhythm during the game. Lets just be happy that Drews capable when called upon if needed.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Drew made two good passes and had one scramble for a first down. He badly missed a couple passes. In what world does that sample show a guy ready to take snaps from a starter?

Fans fascination with backup QB's has been going on for millennia despite ample evidence that backups are backups for a reason. The number of QB's that get Wally Pip'd by their backups is so excruciating small, it's not even worth considering.

And Lock has always been a boom or bust prospect. His arm talent and athleticism is such that he looks great until suddenly he throws that boneheaded pick. Geno used to have the same problem but has learned with age to tame that inner wild side. I don't think Lock has.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The play where Drew locked onto a receiver and immediately threw it right after the snap told me a lot about his ability to drop back and scan the field. Not to mention his throw was very inaccurate and wound up incomplete. Geno is clearly more capable.

However, I will echo what OP said about Lock as a backup. I do like that he is capable of moving the football, and isn't going to be an easy 3 and out if we need to call on him.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, not gonna happen. :)

I like Drew and I do think that Pete & John think of him as a possible QBOTF. He was at least credible on that drive and looked like he could hold his own in a pinch. There is precedent for a backup QB working and earning the starter's job when the time comes. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere. ;)

Reactions: LTH

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I get where the OP is going with this, but Geno is the man. Itstough to know what we actually have with Lock given the coaching at Denver was so incredibly bad.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He looks like a decent backup. That's what we need. I was really happy for him. You could see how stoked he was to play, and he did fine. I think they would have won with him. But, Geno is absolutely the better QB. That being said, I feel good that Lock could come in and win us a few games if Geno went down.
He seems like a really good dude too, and his teammates and coaches clearly like the guy.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
...I liked what I saw. Accuracy was a bit off, but i think that was the juice of actually getting on the field.

My point is he's not a starter, shouldn't get 'almost' any snaps over Geno, but I think we saw something Pete should at least look at.

Sometimes Geno gets concrete feet in the backfield, has small spells of inefficiency, and has an occasional lapse in judgment for throws. They way the defense played it's hard to believe we didn't put up 30+. In fact, we scored 24 points with a pick 6 and a strip sack deep in their territory. Just do the math without these plays yourself if you wanna argue the 100% Geno show. Factor in the Lock TD drive, and boom...you have my argument here.

I think 1 series per game with Lock would be an interesting play from the Hawks. First off, you can't deny what you saw when Lock took the designed keeper up the middle and shot through the line like a cannon. Then on the play to Fant, watch the defensive end get pressure and i honestly don't know how Drew felt it so instinctively but he did, avoiding the sack, and just slid to his right in rhythm to hit Fant. That was on a 3rd and 10 with a Martindale Defense teeing up to try and make a play, so no small feat.

I know integrating back up QBs is rare, but once upon a time tall ultra physical corners were too. in fact once upon a time, mobile QBs were extremely rare.

I think if Pete wants to live with the Always Compete mantra, Drew earned more playing time. If it doesn't pan out after a couple games and a couple designed looks, ok whatever. But you can't tell me Geno is Patrick Mahomes out there and untouchable.
I appreciate you taking the time to write this up. Sorry to see some of the childish responses from other "posters" unfortunately that seems to be the norm here now.

Lock looked ready when called upon, and that was encouraging to see. However, I will respectfully disagree on the part of allowing Lock time to swap out with Geno.

The Cardinals did something similar many moons ago with Warner and Leinhart and it didn't work. The reason is due to continuity within the offense. It takes time for guys to gel and get used to the QBs cadence, timing, etc.

While it's a novel idea, it just wouldn't work in today's NFL. However, it's comforting to know that if Geno does get banged up, Lock is ready to fill in and hopefully the offense doesn't miss a beat.

Mick063

Reaction score
I have full confidence in both Lock and Geno. I think that Lock will inevitably get an opportunity to show his talent to the rest of the league and he will take advantage of it. We see what Baker Mayfield is currently doing in the right environment. We saw how Ryan Fitzpatrick could repeatedly find a new starting gig. I could easily envision Drew Lock accomplishing a similar career path. Off the top of my head, I would choose Lock over Daniel Jones or Justin Fields as a starter.

Last edited:

strohmin

Reaction score

QB is the one position you need one person in charge. Geno won the job so he should be starting untill he is bad. itll be harder on the rest of the team and Geno already has the full support of the rest of the team. Making Lock play at all other than when Geno is incapable would just be bad for the team.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
He looks like a decent backup. That's what we need. I was really happy for him. You could see how stoked he was to play, and he did fine. I think they would have won with him. But, Geno is absolutely the better QB. That being said, I feel good that Lock could come in and win us a few games if Geno went down.
He seems like a really good dude too, and his teammates and coaches clearly like the guy.
Not advocating a change - but I think it is in fans nature to want to know what the backup QB can actually do. We really don't know what Lock would do if given the job - and I'm curious to see what he might do for a full game at the helm. Again......NOT CALLING FOR CHANGE....... just voicing my interest in knowing what we actually have in Lock.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Geno is a top 12 QB in the entire league, imo. We don't need to see. If the time comes, we probably have a pretty good chance at still winning some games while Geno is out.

flv2

Reaction score
Poor play and injuries are normally the only time you want to make a switch at QB. Otherwise it can work if the back-up has a trait that is significantly better than the starter had. That can be agility, running ability, quicker decision making, stronger arm, better in the hurry-up, but there has to be something. Then you have to force that specific trait upon the opponent in spades to get them away from what they were doing that made you want to change QBs. I'm not sure I see such a trait in Lock.

Weadoption

Reaction score
Lock seemed ready for the moment that’s for sure, he didn’t hesitate on that run and passed the eye test being thrown in there like that. Definitely a solid short showing for him i thought.
this is how Niner fans secretly sow discord from within muhuahhuahhahuuahhahhuha