Bye Felicia .....

pmedic920

Reaction score
2fb39c2da41f5983947d992419cd0414.png

Sorry if that sounds cruel.....NOT

It was time.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'll bet they are making room for McDowell to join the team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This means that DT- Malik McDowell has now reported and the team in order to get the numbers right has cut/waived a player to allow that to happen.

We might see Frese back as the year goes on as the team likes his ST coverage ability. He is however not as accurate a LS as Ott.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1xvlbz31 said:
We might see Frese back as the year goes on as the team likes his ST coverage ability. He is however not as accurate a LS as Ott.

Hopefully DJ Alexander and our rookie class will bring enough to the table on special teams that this will not be a consideration.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wasn't McDowell already on the 90 man roster? He signed his rookie contract while back. Why do they need to cut someone to add him? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Cutting of Nolan Frese is one year too late. He was a major reason why the kicking game was out of sync last season. He was getting bowled over repeatedly on FG/Punt attempts. Glad they learned from their mistakes.

sutz

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1bmnftlz said:
Wasn't McDowell already on the 90 man roster? He signed his rookie contract while back. Why do they need to cut someone to add him? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Cutting of Nolan Frese is one year too late. He was a major reason why the kicking game was out of sync last season. He was getting bowled over repeatedly on FG/Punt attempts. Glad they learned from their mistakes.
As of this morning, no, Mcdowell was not on roster.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":aqv6i1ko said:
hawkfan68":aqv6i1ko said:

As of this morning, no, Mcdowell was not on roster.

This is correct. He was placed on the DNR list as soon as he didn't report to training camp. Training camp roster rules are more lenient than regular season, so I'd assume they are going to do a full medical evaluation and either place him on PUP, IR or activate him. Which one is what we have to wait for

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I was wrong on the above as with the waiving of Frese there is one other open position so he just wore out his welcome.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Ott did alright during the few games he played. Noticed he actually blocked on kicks whereas Frese seemed to always fall on his butt everytime.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
So Nolan {see if you can catch this}Frese is no more,great,now do we have a kicker ?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2hppya0d said:
I was wrong on the above as with the waiving of Frese there is one other open position so he just wore out his welcome.

Apparently I was wrong about being wrong and the open spot on the roster is likely for McDowell unless he put on IR.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Personally, I would NFI him until he is ready to practice. One of the few scenarios where I would use the NFI list. The Seahawks may be nicer and PUP him until he is ready to go.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Either way he remains on the 90 man roster. Is there a cap difference?

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
He has to go on NFI since it was a non-football related injury. He counts the same against the cap as he would if he could be placed on PUP, and it's treated the same way (once he passes a physical he goes onto the active roster, if he's still on NFI to start the season he will miss at least six weeks, etc.) The biggest difference between PUP and NFI is that teams can recoup signing bonus money and/or base salary for players on NFI, whereas they can't for players on PUP.

IR isn't a viable option at this point because the injury in question occurred prior to the start of training camp, and apparently the team wouldn't be able to designate him for return as a result. So if the team puts him on IR, he would miss the entire season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2lw4rc2y said:
He has to go on NFI since it was a non-football related injury. He counts the same against the cap as he would if he could be placed on PUP, and it's treated the same way (once he passes a physical he goes onto the active roster, if he's still on NFI to start the season he will miss at least six weeks, etc.) The biggest difference between PUP and NFI is that teams can recoup signing bonus money and/or base salary for players on NFI, whereas they can't for players on PUP.

IR isn't a viable option at this point because the injury in question occurred prior to the start of training camp, and apparently the team wouldn't be able to designate him for return as a result. So if the team puts him on IR, he would miss the entire season.

You are correct in that it was a non football injury, so it's slightly different in the financial aspect, but as far as his possibility to play is concerned, the rules for that and PUP are the same. If he is able to play this year, I seriously doubt we go after any of his signing bonus. It just doesn't fit the way the Carroll/Schneider regime has done business in the past. If they don't see him playing this season and they put him on IR, that would be a different story altogether.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
There is no more "designated to return" from the IR. Any two players can be brought off the IR after fulfilling the appropriate timing criteria. Neither has to be designated to return in advance.