Who would trade for Alex Collins?

ACFan?

On the bright side he only needs to change one letter to get it correct:

CCFan for the win!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":cxgx61fb said:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers or the Orlando Predators could show possible interest.

AVL

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":raeoc4je said:

Jerry Jones will scarf him up on waivers without thanking us for saving him from drafting Lynch last year.

sdog1981

Reaction score
AVL":26t83hax said:
CodeWarrior":26t83hax said:

Jerry Jones will scarf him up on waivers without thanking us for saving him from drafting Lynch last year.

Jerry is a big Razorbacks fan

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Collins will probably be cut; Lane probably too big of a cap hit to just let go, and probably prohibitive to trade unless there is an injury and someone is desperate. We paid him a decent amount compared to what he's shown for other teams to see.

Kearse is somewhere in the middle; i suspect we will see him trade for a 6 or 7th to Cleveland.

Sorry Jermaine. It's Browns Time ;/

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Collins makes sense. Lacy, Rawls and Procise were always going to make the team and Carson secured the last RB spot with his exceptional play.

Kearse can be explained as well quite well. We needed him because there wasn't another big receiver like him around. Baldwin, Lockett and P-Rich were all speed types. Last year saw the emergence of McEvoy, Kasen showed he can handle it and while Darboh hasn't really shown it yet he was clearly drafted as a Kearse replacement. So I feel like this Kearse trade will be to make room for these 3 guys who can all replace him for a lesser price and have a higher ceiling. Kearse is never going to be more than a decent, albeit inconsistent number 3 guy.

Now Lane is the surprising one. I get the FO is high on Shaq and Shead is still ahead of him when he gets back but other than that its not like there wouldn't be a spot for a guy like Lane on the roster, especially as the slot guy. Is this purely a money based decision or are they trying to trade him for an OT because they aren't feeling comfortable there yet?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3v9b1yo7 said:
Now Lane is the surprising one. I get the FO is high on Shaq and Shead is still ahead of him when he gets back but other than that its not like there wouldn't be a spot for a guy like Lane on the roster, especially as the slot guy. Is this purely a money based decision or are they trying to trade him for an OT because they aren't feeling comfortable there yet?

Assuming the trade rumor on lane is true, it's likely because they have faith in Brock being able to replace him on the depth chart.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm happy that we're at a place with our secondary where we can view Lane as expendable. I hope we keep him however. Need depth there. . . I don't wanna see another Cary Williams-esque experiment in that spot.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Make it happen! Trade all 3 players IMO. Get a few extra draft picks.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Collins could be great in a 3rd-down role. I could see a team having interest.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Lane on the block leads me to think we're trying to move him specifically to clear cap space for someone else.

Even if Seattle likes our CB depth and wants to keep more than we can -- I don't think Brock as a new vet, and Griffin as a rookie are ready to go. We already experienced how the transition for veteran talent to our technique takes time to master.

Lane provides a really valuable bridge to Brock/Griffin if retained. If we lose Lane, then we're assuredly going to compromise our secondary play significantly over the course of the first 10 weeks. That RCB position will be mercilessly targetted by every team we face. Griffin isn't ready yet. Desir may be the most ready. And I'm very doubtful Brock is ready having only been with the team for a handful of weeks.

I don't see Lane getting cut. There just isn't much cap relief there at all. Unless it's in a coordinated effort with other moves to clear space for a new addition. By this Saturday, there isn't much need for imminent cap relief. The cost in quality we'll incur will not be insignificant. And could well result in one or two losses on it's own.

Removing him is really the defensive equivalent of our OL situation last year. Get too inexperienced at CB before the young guys are ready.

Seymour

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":138rt4t6 said:
Lane on the block leads me to think we're trying to move him specifically to clear cap space for someone else.

Even if Seattle likes our CB depth and wants to keep more than we can -- I don't think Brock as a new vet, and Griffin as a rookie are ready to go. We already experienced how the transition for veteran talent to our technique takes time to master.

Lane provides a really valuable bridge to Brock/Griffin if retained. If we lose Lane, then we're assuredly going to compromise our secondary play significantly over the course of the first 10 weeks. That RCB position will be mercilessly targetted by every team we face. Griffin isn't ready yet. Desir may be the most ready. And I'm very doubtful Brock is ready having only been with the team for a handful of weeks.

I don't see Lane getting cut. There just isn't much cap relief there at all. Unless it's in a coordinated effort with other moves to clear space for a new addition. By this Saturday, there isn't much need for imminent cap relief. The cost in quality we'll incur will not be insignificant. And could well result in one or two losses on it's own.

Removing him is really the defensive equivalent of our OL situation last year. Get too inexperienced at CB before the young guys are ready.

WOW! 2 losses and the equivalent to the 2016 Oline disaster for losing Lane? :D

That is pretty funny. He wasn't even going to start at RCB, he was going to play the slot / nickle.

Ya, there could be some dropoff to Brock, but not much if at all IMO. I see this as being way way way over stated here.

Seafan

Reaction score
None of these rumors are a surprise. Didn't expect any of these three to be on the 53 and that was before training camp. Roster management isn't just short term and the Hawks are very good at it. If the Hawks can get anything for these guys it would be gravy. I might have thought about trying to waive AC and see if they could get him to the PS but with all the depth there is no need.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":t4zz0xd0 said:

You and I are on the same page there. The rumor about Kearse and now this news today (specifically about Lane) makes me think the exact same thing. They are trying to clear out cap room for another impending move (or as a part of a trade). As we've said before, if Kearse, Lane, heck and even Collins were part of a trade package the Hawks are discussing in order to land a pass rushing DT like a Sheldon Richardson ... then this makes a lot of sense.

Hmmm ... now there, I dunno I'd agree about that. I trust the overall depth on this team. One thing needs to be factored into the conversation is the question marks regarding Lane's health. That in combination with his salary could make him a potential high risk liability in the eyes of John Schneider and the Front Office. You ideally don't want to deal a guy when his value is low ... you want to ideally deal him when it's fairly high.

Pierre Desir (whom you mentioned specifically) is a guy whom I'm becoming more and more impressed by. Having a Pierre Desir on the roster could make the idea of parting Lane easier.

Regarding Brock, I've liked what I've seen thus far. I know this -- he was a fairly good Nickel CB there in SF the past couple of seasons. Honestly, I think we'll be fine there.

I agree that I don't see Lane getting cut either. No way. I don't see that either for the reasons you laid out there. BUT, to say that trading Lane might result in 1 to 2 losses? I have to agree with Seymour in saying I think that's stretching it a bit.

How about this though? For argument's sake, let's say the Hawks DID happen to deal Lane to the Jets as part of a package for Sheldon Richardson. What kind of an impact do you think subtracting Lane ... but ADDING a Sheldon Richardson to the DL would have? Adding a potential Pro Bowl talent like that to an already strong pass rush -- might that actually result in an additional win or two? Just a thought. :hmmmm:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Cutting Lane is the opposite of cap relief. You'd be taking a cap hit, and saving way less value than having an experienced familiar face on the roster.

IF Lane gets cut - there is something else to the story.