Trade thought

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don’t think Shefter quoted his own tweet to hedge his bets. He only posts information that is given to him. I think the Seahawks wanted that out. And as others have pointed out the next day on the radio 710 didn’t ask a single question about Geno. Seems odd? Almost like they were told to not ask about Geno.

bigcc

Reaction score
I don’t think Shefter quoted his own tweet to hedge his bets. He only posts information that is given to him. I think the Seahawks wanted that out. And as others have pointed out the next day on the radio 710 didn’t ask a single question about Geno. Seems odd? Almost like they were told to not ask about Geno.
Might be reading too much into it. I can't speak to the radio show, but the outs make sense for both parties and the fact it exists doesn't mean much.

It gives the team a chance to cut ties before free agency to create cap room, and it ensures that if the player is going to be cut, it's before free agency to get a full shake.

Without the roster guarantee we could have waited to see how the draft panned out and waited to see him in offseason mini camps and cut ties with geno after the fa rush.

Protection for both parties in separate ways. Geno was likely specifically mentioned because he's a qb and makes more sense to move on from given age/cap/new coaching+scheme, and QB's are always going to get scrutinized on a national scale more often.

That aside, maybe I'm just out of touch but I have a very difficult time imagining another team trading for Geno when he has a 9.6 mil roster bonus on the way in a deep qb FA AND Draft Class, and it doesn't make sense to trade him after that.

I don't know I just really don't see it, but I'd love to be wrong tbh

Ozzy

Reaction score
Might be reading too much into it. I can't speak to the radio show, but the outs make sense for both parties and the fact it exists doesn't mean much.

It gives the team a chance to cut ties before free agency to create cap room, and it ensures that if the player is going to be cut, it's before free agency to get a full shake.

Without the roster guarantee we could have waited to see how the draft panned out and waited to see him in offseason mini camps and cut ties with geno after the fa rush.

Protection for both parties in separate ways. Geno was likely specifically mentioned because he's a qb and makes more sense to move on from given age/cap/new coaching+scheme, and QB's are always going to get scrutinized on a national scale more often.

That aside, maybe I'm just out of touch but I have a very difficult time imagining another team trading for Geno when he has a 9.6 mil roster bonus on the way in a deep qb FA AND Draft Class, and it doesn't make sense to trade him after that.

I don't know I just really don't see it, but I'd love to be wrong tbh

I’m with you and I don’t think it happens either.

Parallax

Reaction score
You may be right and Schneider may have misperceived his value on the market. I was hoping they would cut him before Friday because I can't imagine his trade value is much and I don't see him as worth what his contract requires.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I’m thinking more and more that Geno might be traded. Just a feeling I have. For those of you who don’t think he’ll be traded, who do you actually think has a higher trade value at QB in this point and time? Geno Wilson or Russell Smith?? That was intentional.

Who has a higher ceiling? Geno or Russ? I say Geno.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
Feb. 18, 2024 at 4:25 pm

The news last week that Geno Smith’s 2024 base salary would become fully guaranteed might have seemed to quash any offseason drama revolving around the Seahawks’ quarterback position.
But to quote Lee Corso, “Not so fast, my friend.”

The guarantee of Smith’s $12.7 million base salary came with the caveat that the Seahawks could still explore trade options. They would not have to pay the salary if Smith were dealt.

The Seahawks could still look to trade Smith, and his base salary, which is why an even more vital date may be March 18, when Smith is due a $9.6 million signing bonus.

That bonus can’t be traded, and if that date passes with Smith on the roster — and at that point guaranteed $22.3 million for 2024 — then you maybe can put his name in ink as the QB next season.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
There were clowns here who wanted him in the 1st, yet the same people don't want to draft a qb this year, weird.

The funny thing about the whole situation is there are rumors that Lock could very well be the Titans backup QB to Levis
this season and Willis being cut/traded.

bigcc

Reaction score
Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
Feb. 18, 2024 at 4:25 pm

The news last week that Geno Smith’s 2024 base salary would become fully guaranteed might have seemed to quash any offseason drama revolving around the Seahawks’ quarterback position.
But to quote Lee Corso, “Not so fast, my friend.”

The guarantee of Smith’s $12.7 million base salary came with the caveat that the Seahawks could still explore trade options. They would not have to pay the salary if Smith were dealt.

The Seahawks could still look to trade Smith, and his base salary, which is why an even more vital date may be March 18, when Smith is due a $9.6 million signing bonus.

That bonus can’t be traded, and if that date passes with Smith on the roster — and at that point guaranteed $22.3 million for 2024 — then you maybe can put his name in ink as the QB next season.
I see Bob has been reading me hammering my fist and repeating this verbatim the past month or so.

Trade is still in play, but teams interested in geno have no reason to make the trade before that bonus is due.

Honestly unless the return is significantly higher than I'm expecting, once the bonus hits, for 12.7 million I'd rather just keep geno.

Anyone who wants to move on due to his talent doesn't know what they're talking about... Age and cap savings are the primary issues, and that bonus makes the cap savings significantly less appealing

bigcc

Reaction score
I’m thinking more and more that Geno might be traded. Just a feeling I have. For those of you who don’t think he’ll be traded, who do you actually think has a higher trade value at QB in this point and time? Geno Wilson or Russell Smith?? That was intentional.

Who has a higher ceiling? Geno or Russ? I say Geno.
Russ has zero appeal to anyone at this point so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Of course geno has more value currently, there's a very good chance russ isn't even a starter this year.

bigcc

Reaction score
The funny thing about the whole situation is there are rumors that Lock could very well be the Titans backup QB to Levis
this season and Willis being cut/traded.
I could actually see that.

Lock/Levis have similar talents, don't have to change the offense between the two so you can use the same scheme.

I don't know if the Titans want to move on from a 3rd round pick so quickly though, despite him playing like a punter thrust into action as the emergency 4th string qb.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
The difference between Geno and Russ is inches...

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I could actually see that.

Lock/Levis have similar talents, don't have to change the offense between the two so you can use the same scheme.

I don't know if the Titans want to move on from a 3rd round pick so quickly though, despite him playing like a punter thrust into action as the emergency 4th string qb.
Because they will have 65 million in cap space.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Whats that have to do with malik/lock/levis?

Malik Willis, QB

The Titans have signaled their preference for Will Levis over Malik Willis. This was evident from Willis’ limited playing time during the season. Despite being a third-round pick, Willis only took the field for 22 snaps and attempted a mere five passes. Yes, the Titans could retain him as an inexpensive backup to Levis. However, acquiring a seasoned veteran might be a more prudent choice, especially considering their financial flexibility. A departure for Willis could offer him a fresh start while affording the Titans nearly $1 million in cap savings.

bigcc

Reaction score
I meant they might not want to move on from a 3rd round pick because they might want to see their 3rd round pick develop, nothing to do with cap implications.

Everyone knew malik was a project, maybe he was bad enough to just move on, but a couple starts as a 3rd round qb seems early to completely abandon the idea.

If they do, lock makes a ton of sense though, despite the rallying cry of lock stans here, dude isn't a starting qb and free agency will reflect that

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I meant they might not want to move on from a 3rd round pick because they might want to see their 3rd round pick develop, nothing to do with cap implications.

Everyone knew malik was a project, maybe he was bad enough to just move on, but a couple starts as a 3rd round qb seems early to completely abandon the idea.

If they do, lock makes a ton of sense though, despite the rallying cry of lock stans here, dude isn't a starting qb and free agency will reflect that
I think Malik is similar to Lamar Jackson in a lot of ways. Maybe playing in Baltimore would suit him and the Ravens much better. Plus, Tyler Huntley is an unrestricted free agent this year.

Looks like the Titans want to go the traditional QB route as far as Brian Callahan's history has shown with Manning, Carr, Stafford, and Burrow.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
I feel like your most likely scenario would be Geno to Pittsburgh for Pitt 2 (51) and a later pick.
I think a fourth round pick is more likely, but Pitt makes sense as a trade partner.

bigcc

Reaction score
I think Malik is similar to Lamar Jackson in a lot of ways. Maybe playing in Baltimore would suit him and the Ravens much better.

Looks like the Titans want to go the traditional QB route as far as Brian Callahan's history has shown with Manning, Carr, Stafford, and Burrow.
Again, I don't think there's any market for Willis.

While lock fits, the more I think about it the less likely I think it is that they move on from malik, but not to the point of dying on that hill so we'll see I guess.

I wouldn't be shocked if lock comes back if we don't draft a qb high, I really don't think he has a snowballs chance in hell of competing for a starting job this year, with ANY team.

bigcc

Reaction score
I think a fourth round pick is more likely, but Pitt makes sense as a trade partner.
I'd be ecstatic with a 4th tbh, but won't happen before the roster bonus which sours me on that idea unless we get the qb we want in the 1st. If ANYONE offered a 2nd and Schneider said no I'd be calling for his job immediately.

That being said, I don't know if there's any validity to this or if it's just random speculation but I've seen russ and Pitt mentioned together several times

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Again, I don't think there's any market for Willis.

While lock fits, the more I think about it the less likely I think it is that they move on from malik, but not to the point of dying on that hill so we'll see I guess.

I wouldn't be shocked if lock comes back if we don't draft a qb high, I really don't think he has a snowballs chance in hell of competing for a starting job this year, with ANY team.
The only reason they would move on from Willis would be he doesn't fit the offensive scheme.
Callahan didn't draft him. However, just last year they had three QBs on the roster......so, it's possible he might stay.

I think the starting QB and backup should be as similar as possible to maintain cohesion within the offense.
I thought Lock and Geno were similar but got slammed when I mentioned it.

Willis and Jackson are similar, and Huntley is a UFA. He might fit there.