Heard A Rumor...

nategreat

Reaction score
That the Seahawks will be wearing the classic royal blue & green unis against the Colts on 10/1 for Sunday Night Football. Take it for what it's worth, but I heard about this last night while @ the Mariners game. Hope it happens!

Ruminator

Reaction score
I would love it if it also means silver helmets. Unfortunately, unless rules recently changed, I believe the NFL prohibits the use of alternate helmets (for "safety" reasons). It would be an ugly travesty if they wore 70s/80s/90s blue/green throwbacks but with the current dark blue helmets. Bucs creamsicle throwbacks with the current pewters, same. Just don't even think about it. Too bad they can't figure out a way to allow for alternate helmets corresponding with the throwbacks without sacrificing safety.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Which is funny because in college football, there's a ton of schools who wear different helmets every game.

Erebus

Reaction score
Ruminator":3qcykhmb said:
I would love it if it also means silver helmets. Unfortunately, unless rules recently changed, I believe the NFL prohibits the use of alternate helmets (for "safety" reasons). It would be an ugly travesty if they wore 70s/80s/90s blue/green throwbacks but with the current dark blue helmets. Bucs creamsicle throwbacks with the current pewters, same. Just don't even think about it. Too bad they can't figure out a way to allow for alternate helmets corresponding with the throwbacks without sacrificing safety.

What exactly is the safety issue? Can't they just paint modern helmets in old colors?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
A different base color on the helmets should not be an issue. I just dont understand the NFL's reasoning here.

They have tons of the same brand/version/size helmets available for the players. They can't have 2, a different color each?

Makes zero sense. Like Steve2222 said, colleges do it all the time. You even see players swap out helmets during games when the helmet gets damaged....

:Dunno:

Ruminator

Reaction score
Better wear the same cleats every game all year or you'll get a horrible hangnail or something!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":28hlijjr said:
Which is funny because in college football, there's a ton of schools who wear different helmets every game.

It's asinine. If you look on the .Com auction site throughout the year they'll have game worn helmets from guys throughout the year, so they definitely don't wear the same helmet during the year.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I have an old school Easley jersey I had made in Korea 9 yrs ago for both my brother and I, we will be wearing them at the game against the colts. We will be sitting in section 131

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
I don't understand why they can't just wrap the helmets like nascar teams wrap their cars.

Ruminator

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":30v8nicu said:
I don't understand why they can't just wrap the helmets like nascar teams wrap their cars.

Unless wrap technology is snazzier than I think it is, I can't imagine it looking authentic enough to make you think you were looking at a very close representation of the original Seahawks silver helmet which is something many fans have vivid and fond memories of. You'd also need to somehow recolor the face mask -- currently dark blue (70s-90s silver helmets had royal blue face mask except for when it was grey in the earlier years). Also not sure something with a tighter circumference like a football helmet can be wrapped without wrinkles or creases. Body of a racing car is much broader and more conducive to layering something on it. And another concern: can a wrap withstand hits without damage?

chris98251

Reaction score
The wrap would be fine for one game, problem is there are now like 4 or more types of helmets and each wrap would need to be made to fit those specific types. with the old types of one fits all you could just layer your wrap on each side and use a surgical knife to trim them around the base.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
The applications are out there. Why they choose not to utilize it is another question.

[youtube]reUPiiy0aAA[/youtube]

seahawksny

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3llemv2a said:
That would mean ditching the wolf gray uniform...

Can't see that happening, but I wish!

No- they get two games to wear alternate as far as i know, so they will wear the grey once on road if they wear the alternate blue at home.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2upwkg7f said:
Pittsburgh wears an alternate color helmet each season. It's Pittspuke yellow.

??????

Not for about 5 seasons they haven't. Not since this rule came into effect.