The offense has no identity

mistaowen

Reaction score
The scheme and play calling feels like they still have marshawn and want to be a smash mouth team but don't invest in the players to do that. They could grind games out with marshawn getting positive gains every down which opened up the big play later. Getting negative plays to start every series kills them. I saw the opening drive bubble screen coming from a mile away, so did GB.

Jimmy Graham is dreadfully misused in this offense and I still wonder why that trade was ever made if the vision is to just have him playing around the line of scrimmage. I counted at least four times on third and 6+ where he was blocking or releasing late. What's the point of trading for one of the biggest intermediate route mismatches in the NFL to roll him out as a traditional blocking TE?

The players on the roster flourish in the up tempo style offense and yet only go to it with little time left in the quarter. So many games seem like they get no rhythm until 2 minutes left and then march down the field with ease. Why avoid it for 3/4 of the game?

Being lifeless for entire first halves puts far too much pressure on the defense and ultimately tires them out by the fourth.

netskier

Reaction score
mistaowen":giw8as34 said:

Jimmy Graham is dreadfully misused in this offense and I still wonder why that trade was ever made if the vision is to just have him playing around the line of scrimmage. I counted at least four times on third and 6+ where he was blocking or releasing late. What's the point of trading for one of the biggest intermediate route mismatches in the NFL to roll him out as a traditional blocking TE?

My guess is that John Schneider and Pete have the vision, and that is why they made that trade. And that Bevell lacks that vision, and Pete for some reason will not force Bevell to use Graham primarily as a receiver.

Who does GB have that can defend against a high pass to Graham? We have the same problem with Martellus Bennett. Their height allows them to go high were DBs can not go. Lacking tall enough DBs, the only way is to pressure the quarterback, which takes us back to our OL.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I believe Jimmy was targeted more than any other receiver today. As others have said, he needs to play a little stronger, especially in the red zone. Yes, he was mugged for what should have been a PI call on one of them, but he had a jump ball on the other and couldn't come down with it. He also dropped a pass on third down that would have moved the chains. He was being fed today.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I miss the days, when we all wished for a TE...

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2vb7babo said:
I believe Jimmy was targeted more than any other receiver today. As others have said, he needs to play a little stronger, especially in the red zone. Yes, he was mugged for what should have been a PI call on one of them, but he had a jump ball on the other and couldn't come down with it. He also dropped a pass on third down that would have moved the chains. He was being fed today.

Whatever keeps the blame off coaching huh? Saying he was targeted more in a game like this means nothing, he is almost never used properly.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
cymatica":1sluhvnj said:
Siouxhawk":1sluhvnj said:

Whatever keeps the blame off coaching huh? Saying he was targeted more in a game like this means nothing, he is almost never used properly.
Yes, hitting him in the hands for an apparent first-down catch that he dropped isn't using him properly? Sheesh.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":28x1tnar said:

Targeting him has nothing to do with what the OP was saying. Like blocking a lot on 3rd down or releasing late. This offense has no identity or diversity of plays. It is embarrassing. As far as I'm concerned Jimmy should be running sprints all over the field, either making catch attempts or taking coverage away from other players. He can't do that trying to block Clay Matthews.

Why is he not running in motion on pre snaps, spread out with WR's etc.? His talent should, at the very least bring high attention, why isn't that being used to our advantage.

strohmin

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1u2f7qfd said:
Siouxhawk":1u2f7qfd said:

Targeting him has nothing to do with what the OP was saying. Like blocking a lot on 3rd down or releasing late. This offense has no identity or diversity of plays. It is embarrassing. As far as I'm concerned Jimmy should be running sprints all over the field, either making catch attempts or taking coverage away from other players. He cant do that trying to block Clay Matthews.

Why is he not running in motion on pre snaps, spread out with WR's etc.? His talent should, at the very least bring high attention, why isn't that be used to our advantage.

This is what pisses me off about our coaching staff as of late. Before we used to grab guys with unique talents and utilize those talents, but now it just seems we are bringing in big names and forcing them to fit their vision even if it goes against their strengths as a player. The Jimmy Graham trade was really stupid if this is how we are going to use him. Signing Eddie Lacy was another stupid move given that he can't even gain a yard without a competent O-line. Im also starting to believe we ruined Russell Wilson because his football instincts seem to be getting worse after trying to turn him into a pocket passer first QB.

kf3339

Reaction score
mistaowen":1ygkxvth said:
The scheme and play calling feels like they still have marshawn and want to be a smash mouth team but don't invest in the players to do that. They could grind games out with marshawn getting positive gains every down which opened up the big play later. Getting negative plays to start every series kills them. I saw the opening drive bubble screen coming from a mile away, so did GB.

The players on the roster flourish in the up tempo style offense and yet only go to it with little time left in the quarter. So many games seem like they get no rhythm until 2 minutes left and then march down the field with ease. Why avoid it for 3/4 of the game?

Being lifeless for entire first halves puts far too much pressure on the defense and ultimately tires them out by the fourth.

You're making too much sense on this board. STOP IT! :irishdrinkers:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was watching some post game show and someone said and I paraphrase:

"The Seahawks have lost their offensive identity. Without Marshawn Lynch, they are struggling to find that solution that makes them a strong running team. Whenever Russell Wilson is running for more yards than your running backs...That is a problem!"

They went on to talk about how you can't have running back by committee...You need to commit to ONE MAN as the running back period (and let the other RBs spell him of course).

I agree. This whole Lacy/Rawls/Prosise/Carson thing needs to end. PICK ONE and go with it!

My vote is Carson, and let the others come in to mix things up.

Smellyman

Reaction score
What made the running game great was Lynch AND Wilson. Teams couldn't key on either one running the read option or they'd have huge gains. They opened holes for each other.

The Read option is completely abandoned now.

News flash coaches. The read option doesn't get RW killed (he actually can protect himself running the RO), it is thinking this line can create a pocket for him. That is going to kill him.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Smellyman":2l7ipmn6 said:
What made the running game great was Lynch AND Wilson. Teams couldn't key on either one running the read option or they'd have huge gains. They opened holes for each other.

The Read option is completely abandoned now.

News flash coaches. The read option doesn't get RW killed (he actually can protect himself running the RO), it is thinking this line can create a pocket for him. That is going to kill him.

You hit the nail on the head here.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Identity? = weak offense.

The identity was 5 series that were 3 and out plus one turnover at our 21. Little ability to pass protect and no ability to run block. Zero TDs and less the 100 yards of rushing, with RW getting 40 of the 90 + yards weakly scratchedout.

Welcome to the new OLine, same as the old OLine.

The identity is Charmin soft on O and overworked on D.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3vkbo77r said:
Jimmy and Eddy won't be on the team next year. I guess problem solved.

Tom Cable will still be on the team though....until he is gone....the problem will remain

chris98251

Reaction score
First you don't run big power backs horizontally , we did it with Lynch also and it was almost always a disaster, Lacy is even more of a problem, Lynch had a bit of wiggle, Lacy not so much, worst yet is doing it with a O line that can't seal the edge or the interior or anywhere else yesterday, it was a sieve and defenders were just picking the shortest route to attack.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We do have an identity, we just don't have the O-line personnel to run it.

But Pete's gonna keep on trying, bless his heart.

Seafan

Reaction score
I guess it's possible that perhaps, most likely the offense doesn't really have much of a true identity maybe.