Raible: Pete took offensive play calling before 2nd half?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
A friend just told me that during the game right before halftime, Raible said on the radio that Pete took over offensive play calling duties.

Anyone hear anything about this? I don't listen to the games on the radio, but my friend had to while working.

Edit: Updated for clarification.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Normally I'd assume he took over defensive play calling, but who knows with how our offense has been looking in the first half of games.

Like Doug pointed out during/after the game, the players need to take responsibility for coming out flat and not executing. It just feels like there's zero urgency on offense, from the play calling to the execution, until we hit the 2 minute drill at the end of the half.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3edp8qdv said:
Defense, right?

Or offense.... :327321_Spy_23.22:

The way the defense was playing, there would be no reason for this unless Richard had a stroke mid-game and I'm sure we'd have heard about that.

It surprises me that this (assuming it's true) hasn't garnered more attention. This would be very abnormal and you'd think that it would be heavily reported if true.

StoneCold

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1c5n74yu said:
Normally I'd assume he took over defensive play calling, but who knows with how our offense has been looking in the first half of games.

Like Doug pointed out during/after the game, the players need to take responsibility for coming out flat and not executing. It just feels like there's zero urgency on offense, from the play calling to the execution, until we hit the 2 minute drill at the end of the half.

I don't know if it's because of a lack of urgency, but we shot ourselves in the foot multiple times in the first half. Was frustrating as many games this year have been, but good to see it starting to come together.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ivotuk, sorry for not clarifying - I'll update my post, but offensive play calling. Not defensive. I'm trying to confirm and/or find more info about it.

nategreat

Reaction score
I hope it's true; at least this shows that even Pete sees that changes need to be made, and he's not just simply blind to the inadequacies of the playcalling.... though I'll be the first to admit that dropped catches (just a small few) and blocking play a part too.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
That would explain running the Lockett sweep like 65 times. I wondered Why they didn't try it with McKissick at least once.

irfuben32

Reaction score
We ran 2 screen passes in the same game...

not sure what that says but I have been crying for them to mix in some screens

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
StoneCold":3i4iyjb4 said:
JGfromtheNW":3i4iyjb4 said:

I don't know if it's because of a lack of urgency, but we shot ourselves in the foot multiple times in the first half. Was frustrating as many games this year have been, but good to see it starting to come together.

For sure, it reminded me a lot of the home opener against the 9ers. Catch a couple more passes and we're up 14-0 by the second quarter and the rest of the game looks vastly different.

Chapow

Reaction score
kidhawk":39pecuql said:
It surprises me that this (assuming it's true) hasn't garnered more attention. This would be very abnormal and you'd think that it would be heavily reported if true.

This.

I watched the post game show, Q it up sports, some NFL network stuff, and this was not mentioned anywhere by anyone. As Kidhawk said, if this actually happened it would be pretty big news.

No offense, but without confirmation from someone besides some guy that says he heard it on the radio and literally no where else, I just can't take this seriously at all and I don't think you would either if the shoe was on the other foot.

mikeak

Reaction score
irfuben32":2scvwkuw said:
We ran 2 screen passes in the same game...

not sure what that says but I have been crying for them to mix in some screens

This doubled the season total for screens

Not kidding

Mad Dog

Reaction score
TBH I thought, except for one series, Bevell called a pretty sharp game. Drops and penalties were our undoing.
There was this one series:
First down: End run with Eddy Lacy for -1
Second down: Toss in the flat to DB with no blockers and two defenders for 2 yds
Third down: JPP gets an unblocked free run at RW leading to a hurried throwaway

That series was downright idiotic. Lacy can't make the corner even in his best days. You can't effectively run a bubble screen without the bubble and who forgets to block JPP?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":20a6vaj4 said:
A friend just told me that during the game right before halftime, Raible said on the radio that Pete took over offensive play calling duties.

Anyone hear anything about this? I don't listen to the games on the radio, but my friend had to while working.

Edit: Updated for clarification.
Be still my heart, please say this is fact!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This can't be true, cause if Pete took over the playcalling we would have just run Lacy up the middle 85 straight times.

hawk45

Reaction score
We were marching up and down the field all first half and should have scored if not for a dropped ball in our superstar tight end's gut. If Pete wanted to make substitutions based on the the first half then Jimmy, Ifedi, and Rawls were all way ahead of Bevell.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dt9q3oiu said:
This can't be true, cause if Pete took over the playcalling we would have just run Lacy up the middle 85 straight times.

Pete or fender?

mikeak

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2mh95fjb said:
TBH I thought, except for one series, Bevell called a pretty sharp game. Drops and penalties were our undoing.
There was this one series:
First down: End run with Eddy Lacy for -1
Second down: Toss in the flat to DB with no blockers and two defenders for 2 yds
Third down: JPP gets an unblocked free run at RW leading to a hurried throwaway

That series was downright idiotic. Lacy can't make the corner even in his best days. You can't effectively run a bubble screen without the bubble and who forgets to block JPP?

My personal favorite was run up the middle on 2nd and 24

Second time this year -- last time was 2nd down and 22

each time we got 2 yards............

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The offense play calling was at the very least decent this game, and maybe quite good.

Some people simply must find an answer to good play that doesn't include Bevell.

:stirthepot: :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.